iPhone 4 - NYC - Full Bars + 3G but no data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hambones, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Hambones macrumors member

Full (5) bars, 3G, but when opening safari, email, apps, etc. no data goes through. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Anyone have experience with this? Is it just an overloaded network around here?

2. Luminyx macrumors member

Yes, I face this problem also. I'm from Central NJ and I'm specifically having this problem in my AT&T building (how ironic).

3. pwb2103 macrumors member

is this just a congestion issue? I've had this happen before in midtown (regularly) when i'm surrounded by too many people all using data at once. Full bars but can't get any data. Then if you go back to the same area at night everything is fine. If that is the case it is definitely just AT&T not providing enough backhaul to their towers

4. invisible777 macrumors member

This is also happening to us. 2 iPhone 4's both having intermittent problems loading email, maps, safari etc. with full bars. We're in Long Island, NY.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Happened to me intermittently yesterday, 25th St @ 6th.

6. jaydie515 macrumors newbie

I've been experiencing the same issues since Sunday. Initially I thought I was having the antenna issue everyone is talking about but after trying several to load the nytimes with the phone on my desk (not in my hand) I realized this was a different problem. I should probably note that I don't seem to have a unit with the antenna issue.

I called AT&T and was told that they lost several towers within a 10 mile radius of NYC and were working to get them back up. I was told to power off my phone yesterday morning and they power up to reset the connection - I was able to see a difference but I still feel the 3G data is slow.

You may want to try turning the phone off and back on - I'm planning to wait another day or two before I take any further steps. Calling AT&T may also provide more info.

7. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

I was having the same problem in DC yesterday until about 8pm last night.
    Since then, it's has been very fast and no hiccups at all. The curious thing is that I can no longer make the bars drop at home while "death gripping" it.
    Before I was able to loose signal only at home while cupping the phone (never dropping a call) but as of last night, it's been rock solid, death grip and all. Not to sound conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes with ATT and Apple and tower updates...
    Which explains the issues others were having with slow data yesterday...:confused:

8. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I had something similar happen in Cambridge MA last week.

While this was occurring I rebooted the phone and it began to work. I haven't experienced any problems since.

9. guicane macrumors regular

guicane

This happens to me everyday since the launch in the UK with Vodafone.

10. dark1x macrumors newbie

This problem has been coming and going for the last couple of days for me as well.

I've found that driving to another location tends to resolve it making me believe there is a tower problem. Also, Edge data continues to work in trouble spots.

Right now, at my desk, everything is fine...but 3G data was not working the last couple of days.

11. mzt macrumors member

Yes, happens to me all the time since I got the phone, I sometimes have to reboot ;/.. I work at 53rd and 6th avenue.

12. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Yea I noticed this last night in the Tysons area of Northern VA - switching to edge fixed the problem and leaving the area seemed to fix the problem.

Probably was a tower issue....

13. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Weird cause it happened to me at 7PM.

14. Evgenyy macrumors regular

I don't think this is a network issue. I am in the UK on Vodafone and have the same problem. I also get connection dropped during each call.

What is your serial number guys? I am trying to understand whether this issue is particular to a single batch of phones.

My S/N is 86022

15. Ogrillion macrumors member

Having slow 3g as well - in Eastern PA..

Seems we are all around NY that have this issue. I think its a AT&T issue and not a phone issue (in our case maybe not if your out of the country lol)

But ya sometimes the speeds are amazingly fast most of the time I stay on edge because its faster :eek:

16. montebel macrumors newbie

multiple midtown locations, days, times

full bars, absolutely no data

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Same here-- the 3G connectivity is extremely unpredictable/unstable. One second it will load fine, another it won't. The problem seems to be widespread along the northeast.

18. Reser macrumors 6502

Happened to me all day today on O2 in UK. 5 full bars and 3G. Just now did it come to life and retrieve 3 emails i recieved hours ago ...

19. hazeydavey macrumors regular

Same...I've about given up doing anything on this phone when I'm not in a wifi area.

I just stare at full signal, and stalled pages, and email that can't check.

20. Streeter1981 macrumors newbie

Same exact thing -- in Colorado! It's not due to congestion -- it's due to a problem with the iPhone 4. EDGE works fine, WiFi works fine, but 3G either doesn't work at all or is incredibly slow. A 3GS right next to me works absolutely fine!

21. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

good thing you guys are letting everyone on MR know instead of apple....

22. peteyyt macrumors member

This happens to me a lot too. Usually at Yankee games (with my 3GS, haven't taken new phone there yet), but I noticed it happening in Washington Square Park with my iPhone 4, maybe because it was super crowded?

If you just move around a bit it usually goes away.

23. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

so it doesn't seem to be improved at all. well, damn Apple. I knew it. not too fast? well, we'll see it. more and more people will complain. new phone has design flaw.

24. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

I have the same issue in Pittsburgh. Full Bars, No Data, Calls, Texts, etc. This happens often