iPhone 4 on att no contract= no data?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kev001, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Kev001 macrumors newbie

So here's the thing...I want to use my iPhone 4 on att without a data plan. I have an existing att family plan and I was planning on adding an extra line but just get the sim card with no service agreement. The iPhone that I have is already activated so I don't need to activate it with the new sim. My question is can att still detect that I'm using an iPhone (most likely yes bc of the IMEI) and add the data plan. If they do add it can I just call in and remove it since I'm not obligated to have it since I didnt sign anything?

Other notes:
    -I'm going to bring in a dumb phone when I get the sim card, since they will need to activate the phone

-3G and Data will be turned off on the iPhone

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Getting an Phone 4 means you have to sign a contract that binds you to have a data plan as long as you have the iPhone. However, no contract is signed if you pay full price; however, AT&T requires, like it or not, a data plan on all iPhones. So even if you put a data block on your line, AT&T will peg that data plan on you as soon as your iPhone is read by the network scanners.

3. Kev001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

That's what I thought too, just needed a second opinion, thanks. Another reason to hate At&T...

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No... it's another way of making business, not charity. Also, an iPhone is a luxury item. You don't need and iPhone, but you want one. You can make a call from any other dumbphone just as fine.

Also, Verizon has the same rules on data plans for many if not all smartphones on their network... yay for choice!

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

Att will recognize what sim is put in what phone they might not catch it the 1st day but they will be able to figure it out. A smart phone is pretty dumb with out a data plan if you really don't need Data get a dumb phone and a touch!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Contract or not they will automatically add an iPhone data to your account. Go with AT&T prepaid or with Tmobile to avoid the mandatory data plan.

7. BigKyle macrumors member

Correct...

Each phone with AT&T has an IMEI , this IMEI basically tells att everything about your phone, make model ect ect

As soon as your phone registers on the network, at&t can dermine what it is... and if the phone requires a data plan, you will get a txt saying an iphone has been detected the appropriate data plan has been added...

Like the other poster said if you dont want to pay the data then use a basic flip phone

I meen you can get 200 Mb of data for $15 per month... its not that expensive..

8. lapocompris macrumors regular

How do you find a dumb phone with micro SIM card slot?

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

its pretty much the same in Canda on Rogers, the data plan is a seperate contract from the phone, whoever i know for blackberries not sure about iphone but you can pay like a 200 penalty to void the data plan then just use it as a wifi device with cell phone

10. Kev001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Everyone... Thanks for the Replies but just wanted to clear some things.

- I already have an iPhone on contract with data plan, but I want to add a line (no contract) so I can have a secondary line and I don't need data.

- I also have another iPhone 4 (given to me as a gift) and I want to use it too instead of a dumb phone.

- can't switch to tmobile since I'm already with att

- and to answer te question about the micro sim slot... They will give me a regular size sim card so at the time of purchase I will bring in a dumb phone to activate it, then I will cut down the sim to fit into an iPhone 4.

Since att will at some point add the data plan I have no choice left but to use a dumb phone.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

well 1st is the iPhone 4 under contract? if so you or who ever bought it will have to pay the ETF $325 the next thing is you have to jailbreak and unlock to go to tmobile. you might check with them 1st I hearing reports that they are starting to require a data plan as well. the biggest thing are you in contract or out!