iPhone 4 or iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maflynn, Jan 2, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, let me first offer an apologize, I created a should I buy now or wait thread and I'm sorry :eek:

Seriously, my company sent out an email last month detailing a plan to only allow smart phones that remote policies that support encryption to access the exchange servers. The iPhone and BlackBerry do this, but surprisingly so, android does not. Their option is to cut off all access, I'm 90% sure that I could get an email app that supports this, but they're blindly cutting off support so I'm out of luck.

Anyways long story short, should I try to limp along with a 3G or take the plunge for an iPhone 4. Given that its really 6 months hold, middle age, makes it a difficult choice. If I were asking this in April or May that would be different, it would be an easier pill to swallow about using a 3G for a couple of months.

Anyways, thoughts, opinions. The need is fairly immediate, though I may have a short term work around with the 3G, though I may not be too pleased to go from an fast performing Droid X to a slower 3G phone.

2. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

If you can wait and can use your 3G, id absolutely wait for the iP5.

3. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

The 3G is pretty slow, six months is a long time, and the iPhone 4 is quite good.

If the need is immediate, go for it. I doubt that the iPhone 5 will be that much of a jump up from the iPhone 4. If you had a 3GS, I would tell you to wait it out.

If you can live with the 3G for six months, then do so, but it sounds like you can't.

4. Al3x87 macrumors member

From 2007 to June 2010 i had an iPhone 2g. So, there is no problem. You cant wait 6 months...

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You should ask the mods to merge your duplicate threads.

Hmmmm....are you one of my users? :D

You can't limp along on the 3G. It doesn't support encryption. Only the 3Gs and above do.

6. Jinkst macrumors regular

Personally, I wouldn't bother getting an iPhone 4 now. We all can assume the next gen will be released around the same time of year as the past four models which is only 6mths away.

I was ready to throw my 3G against the wall though by the time I got my iPhone 4 so I understand the frustration. I'd still wait it out though. For myself, if I didn't get the new model within the first few months I'd just wait for the next gen, as I did when the 3GS came out, I just waited for the next.

Long story short, my vote is wait it out and get the next model.

7. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

oh crap I didn't know that. I guess that answers that

8. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Hmm. If I were you, I'd miss my X, but I suggest buying the 3GS and then buying the iP5 when it arrives. It's only $99, and would get you through until WWDC.

9. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like both the android platform and iOS. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Truth be told iOS has a better email app and iPod (music) app. I like how I can easily and fully customize android and I love the idea of widgets

Since my company issued that edict my hands are rather tied so it's basically an iPhone

10. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hadn't thought of that, good idea!

Buy the 3GS for $99 and sell your 3G on craigslist.

11. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I agree completely. The iPhone 4 phone itself, is terrible. My 3GS was so much better. Everything else about the 4 is fine, but why buy a phone that isn't a phone so to speak.

12. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Definitely wait for the iPhone 5, if the rumours about it are true then it's going to be one hell of a phone!

13. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What rumors?

14. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

I think he means wikoogle's dream list -- I mean, wishlist. :D

15. JASApplications macrumors 65816

The biggest one is the slightly larger screen. Possibly 4".

16. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh ok, because I did google iphone 5 rumors, but nothing really substance really came up.

I'll see how things start transpiring with my company and their group policies. The longer I can put it off, the better the odds on waiting. Still, playing with my wife's iPhone has gotten my juices flowing for the phone ;)

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

That's not even a rumor, it's just a wishlist. There are no iPhone 5 rumors yet.

18. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I thought, but being out the loop, I couldn't be too sure.

19. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Bad move if he buys a 3GS he's locked intonation contract on a phone that will not get most of the features in iOS 5 and he will have to pay $399 or $499 for the iPhone 5.

A better move would to get a 3GS off craiglist and sell the 3G. That way he wont be on contract and will be able to get the iPhone 5 when it comes out for the $199 $299 price.

20. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

These threads are pointless

the iPad didn't get leaked until the night before

For iPhone leaks I'm not taking anything seriously until April-may that's usually when we start getting real rumor/leaks from manufacturers that work with Apple

Relax kick up your feet and enjoy your iPhone 4 guys

21. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

5 more months for iPhone 5, you should just wait.

22. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

What I said above... ignore it. I really meant this. ^

Thanks for pointing that out! ;)

23. gigemzach macrumors 6502

I have the iPhone 4 and it's amazing!! BUT if you think about it the iPhone 4 is already "middle-aged" in a sense. If you could keep the 3G for 6 more months I think it would be so worth it!

24. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It is middle aged in the sense that apple updates the phone every 6 months.

Given the consensus, I'll probably try to stick with what I have until my company shuts off access and then look at my options. From the advice it seems to be a sound move to wait until the iPhone 5.

25. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

Be aware that if you do connect to your employers exchange server, they will be able to remote wipe your phone. There was an article recently about a case where this happened by accident (the wrong phone wiped after another was reported stolen or some such). So if you do get access, make sure you regularly take and keep a local backup!