iPhone 4 or iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheGreatEscape, Jan 18, 2011.

1. TheGreatEscape macrumors newbie

My VZW contract has been up since last February and now that Verizon has the iPhone I am excited!

Should I go for the iPhone 4 or wait for the iPhone 5? :confused:

2. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

I have the same question,

I have an original motorola droid 1, and my contract expires in February. I love my droid 1 but I really want a new phone at this point.

Should I just go ahead and get an iPhone?

or get some type of droid?

btw im on Verizon too

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I plan on waiting for the iPhone 5 only because I plan on keeping the phone for 2 years and will have buyers remorse if I settle for the ip4 now and see all my buddies with the ip5 over the summer.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

their is no proof yet that indicates that Verizon will be getting the iPhone 5 if/when their is one released during summer on AT&T, and lets say their isn't, you would have waited 6 months for nothing, then your going to have to decide if you want to wait another 6 months for the possible iPhone 5 on Verizon (next february) or to get the iPhone 4 on Verizon 6 months late.

Will it have been worth it?

get it now, be happy.

5. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

That all depends upon what you want. YOu already know the facts and features of the iPhone 4.
    The next version, no matter what anyone says, does not exist. It is vaporware until it is announced.
    Will there be a new one? Probably, most likely, etc. But who's to say if it will be a big upgrade like the 4 was to the 3GS. Or if it will be a smaller upgrade like the 3GS was to the 3.

It all depends on you and what you want.

6. yearofthe macrumors regular

yearofthe

Buy iPhone 4, cancel contract, sell it on ebay, and buy iPhone 5. :)

7. TheGreatEscape thread starter macrumors newbie

Anything will seem like a huge upgrade over my LG (dare I admit to it) flip-phone.

I do want a phone that will not be obsolete after 2 years.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

At the pace technology is moving, that device does not exist.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It seems with Apple's annual upgrades that any phone will be considered obsolete if you're the guy who has to have the latest tech. However, an iPhone 4 can and will last 2 years.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you really want it now, then get it now. You'll still have 5 months before Apple releases a new one. If you can wait, then wait.

I'm waiting for te next generation iPhone because I don't "really want" one just yet since my 3GS isn't too bad yet.

What if there isn't an update for the iPhone? They will be releasing the iPhone white just towards March which seems awfully close to June.

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

If you get an iPhone 4, you'll be hitting yourself in about 6months.
    Do yourself a favour and wait for the iPhone 5, if the rumors are true (which they are, since from a credible source) the next iPhone will blow the 4 away.

12. Scope1230 macrumors member

I would never buy iPhone 4 right now since u can't talk and use data at the same time. Trust me this is quite a big issue since I have been using iPhone for a long time and been doing this for a while now. Data and talk simultaneously is a must

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The question is, will Verizon get the next version of the iPhone at the same time as AT&T?

and these rumors can not be confirmed as true until the product gets announced by Apple (or leaked by Gizmodo :D).

14. BriChi macrumors 6502

exactly! NO RUMORS ARE CONFIRMED... If you want the phone now, then get it, IF the iphone "5" comes out for verizon also in June, then sell the iphone 4 on ebay for $400 or so and buy the 5

15. wild05kid05 macrumors newbie

I'd love to buy used iPhone 4 from moving-users ..

16. kardiackeith macrumors member

Step 1: Buy iPhone4 Feb 3rd/10th
    Step 2: Love it until June
    Step 3: Watch the announcement for iPhone5
    Step 4: If the updates are that good, sell iPhone4 to purchase iPhone5 for full price.

iPhone 5 is rumored to not have LTE, but rather a dual band GSM/CDMA chip. So everyone is going to end up rolling on 3g or some fake 4g network. LTE takes over the world in 2012.

17. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

What a load of $h!t. Pretty sure most users can evaluate that feature as being a must have or not. In three years, I've used it four times and none of which were important.

I'm ready to have a phone that actually, well, makes phone calls here in AZ. iPhone 6 with LTE is the one to look forward to.

18. FnMikeK macrumors newbie

I have the same issue. My VZW contract is up on Feb 2nd (perfect timing), but I don't know what to do. I think the only thing we will get from the iPhone5 will be a dual core CPU, new GPU and a unified GSM/CDMA chipset. Do you guys think this is a big enough change to wait a few months?

19. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I am an original droid owner as well, I got it when it came out on a one year contract anticipating the iphone would come (in spite of the naysayers) and it has paid off. I'm getting an iPhone 4. I've waited long enough...some people would make you think it's already an antiquated POS...as if it was some windows 98 phone. There's a very low chance of the next one having LTE....so really you're gonna wait 6 more months to get basically a similar iphone that's got more RAM and 200mhz more and 3 more useless megapixels to the camera? You will still get the vast majority of benefits of the changes Apple makes for iOS 5.0...

Look if you're that worried about the next iphone being radically new and different, get a 1 year contract on the 4 (signs are pointing to VZ offering it) and you can then upgrade in 8 months...get a 5 in October.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am waiting for the next model of the iPhone (presumably iPhone 5). I currently have a 3GS and I figure it has one more round of iOS updates before it starts to become too limited. I do think that one thing we should all consider is the costs of our gizmos - both environmentally and socially (perhaps the money would be better spent feeding people) - so I update my phone only every 2 years or so and make sure that my old phone is either recycled by a charity or put to some use in another way (my kids often get hand-me-downs :)).

21. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Wow, all this talk of iPhone 6. Are we that disillusioned with what we think iPhone 5 (or 4s) is going to be (or not be) that we've already writing it off and moved on?

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

and eat the ETF :confused:

Besides, by cancelling the contract you lose your phone number and VZW may make you wait a period of time when re-signing a contract to get the upgrade price, i.e., to avoid people doing this.

23. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

I would wait, my gf thinks I'm crazy selling my iPhone 4 this early on lol!

24. kicko macrumors 65816

you just dont cancel the contract...

buy or use a older verizon phone to hold your service/contract
    sell iphone4 $400 or better
    buy iphone5 at full price