iphone 4 or iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soulja786, Jun 16, 2011.

1. soulja786 macrumors member

Hi Guys,

Just found this forum, looks cool :) Hoping to stick around.

I was planning on getting my first iphone (iphone 4) in a week or 2 from cex, but now I'm having second thoughts. Because there are new releases yearly and the iphones are moving really fast, I'm wondering if I should wait or not?

Thing is, I'm already on a contract so I want to buy an unlocked iphone. So when the new one comes I prefer not to be getting it with a contract.
    And I am a student, (not having lots of cash :eek: lol) :p

I know this question must be asked on here a lot of times, but I really need to make a decision .... any opinions??

Oh and ... I am fed up of my low-end android phone :(

Thank You for your help guys..

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

at this point id get a 5 but then again, chances are it may be hard to get one for a while (as was the 4 when it was first released)

3. genexrocket macrumors regular

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Get iPhone 4. What is wrong with it...

Cannot wait. Then get iPhone 4.

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

I just picked up another iPhone 4 after trying an android phone. I wanted to make sure to lock in the unlimited Verizon plan as I'm pretty sure they will change their plans before launching the next iPhone.

6. soulja786 thread starter macrumors member

If i get the 4, I won't be replacing it for sometime, so do you think its worth it and won't get outdated as fast? With new ios compatibility and all :/

7. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Shouldn't have any problem with the iPhone for at least 2 years. They have been supporting the 3G and 3Gs even with the 4 being launched. Only the 3G is being left behind with iOS 5. Now if the dual core chip is used I can see some apps specifically games requiring that but other than that I don't see an issue.

8. soulja786 thread starter macrumors member

Would the dual core chip be a big issue? Also. .. do you think the ip4 will last for ios6?

9. Biolizard, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

Biolizard macrumors 6502

At this point you'd be paying the same price people were paying a year ago for technology that is now a year old; it's not really good value for you.

If you need an iPhone right now, then by all means, but if you're patient, 3 months wait (which is what it's looking like) will secure you either an iPhone 5 or a cut-price iPhone 4. You'll be getting more for your money, simple as.

Edit: Now that we know the 3GS will support iOS 5, Apple have implicitly stated their policy of giving each iPhone/iPod Touch 3 generations of iOS; the initial version it comes with, plus the following two iterations. The final supported iteration will likely drop some major features. Thus you can expect iPhone 4 to get iOS 6, though how many of the new features will be supported on the 4 is something we can't know until it's announced next year.

The dual core chip is likely to become important when the supported device set includes generations 4, 5 and 6 of iPhone and iPod Touch (assuming the Touch doesn't die off as is being mused). In what form this will limit the 4 no one can know, but on paper it's beginning to look like the iPhone 3G + iOS 4 debacle once again.

10. soulja786 thread starter macrumors member

Hmm true about paying the same for what is a year old. But the thing is if I waited a couple of months, then the iphone 4 would just get older. .. I don't know its a tough decision :/

Right now I haate my android phone, its soo laggy :/

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I say stick it out. Only 3.5 more months until it's rumored to launch.

12. soulja786 thread starter macrumors member

How much do you think price difference between the 2 for unlocked? In the UK? ... :eek:

13. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

People forget just how good the iPhone 4 is. How can you talk about it being outdated?! Only relatively speaking (to the 5th gen), because it's a great smartphone.

14. soulja786 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not saying its oudated, but it will be very fast, seeing the speed at whichthe tech industry and esp apple is rolling out its new stuff. As it is at the end if its cycle.

15. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

"cex" as in cexchange? I heard they're a bunch of crooks bro.

16. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

It will be indeed, proving Moore's Law once more.

17. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

iOS 5 is the last iOS that the iPhone 4 will fully support and compared to the iPhone 5 it may feel out dated, so I would just wait an extra 3 months because no matter what you're paying the same price. Best of luck!

18. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

When did Apple announce that iOS 5 will be the last for the iPhone 4?

19. soulja786 thread starter macrumors member

Yep them. Well here in the UK theu seem ok. .. I'm trading in my ipod touch 2g and a few other extras lying around and paying a lil ontop to get a mint iphone 4.

20. soulja786 thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was going to ask. .. :/

21. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Yep, they didn't. And if we follow the same fashion, the iPhone 4 could very well support iOS 6 (unless they change all their structure to dual core exclusively and we consider iOS5 as a hybrid in transition.. but this is going too far in the future!)

22. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

If I were you I would wait. But if I was a poor student, I would have other things to worry about. When I went to school I worked just about full-time, I don't get all these posts were people say they're students so they're broke - yet want an iphone.

23. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

To be honest I do think iOS 6 won't support the iPhone 4 as I'm sure Apple will want to go full dual core but of course this is what I think and have no clue what Apple will do :p

24. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

i just answered a similar question so i decided to paste the same thing here..

Short answer: Yes, wait.

Long answer: Those are just the given rumors, an 8MP Camera was leaked by Sony and a faster processor is the A5 Dual Core which the iPad 2 already as. I'm sure there are more than that to a 1year+ few months upgrade to the iPhone. Regardless, waiting is worth it.
    Obviously you won't get back what your iPhone 4 is worth now, if you buy it. As soon as news breaks out of the iPhone 5, the iPhone 4 price will drop drastically. You'll probably be paying around $100 more for the iPhone 5 this way.
    Look at it logically, why would you get locked up in a contract with a phone that's a year old when a new one will be out in 3 months? Also, you'll be stuck in a 2 year contract so you'll be waiting for the iPhone 7, but with an older phone. The iPhone 5 will probably have a far greater longevity due to the Dual Core. Get your money's worth and wait.

25. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I'd say to just get the iPhone 4. The iPhone 5 won't be out for around 3-4 months for a US launch. You're in the UK, which means the launch will be even later. It's normally a month after the US launch, but it could be even longer depending on the demand.

Also, just because the phone gets released in 4-5 months, doesn't mean you'll be able to get one right away. Unless you're willing to stand in a line for hours and hours, it's going to be tough to get your hands on one.

Take that into consideration before making your decision.

You're going to be looking at around a 5 month wait. Can you wait that long?