iPhone 4 - Preserve Baseband At 4.2.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by molson2k, Dec 5, 2010.

1. molson2k macrumors member

FYI, this is iPhone 4 only and it works like a charm!

I haven't seen anyone really posting this and if it's been posted, my bad. This is probably for people who have legitimate carrier iPhones and just want to preserve the baseband for future unlocking purposes instead of those people who absolutely rely on the unlock for the iPhone 4s to work.

http://www.iphone4jailbreak.org/how-to-upgrade-ios-4-2-1-preserving-baseband.html

The instructions and the video I feel is pretty self explanatory!

I've attached a screenshot, I'm at 4.2.1 and my baseband is still unlockable at 01.59.00.

Attached Files:

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

This has been around for a while, not new news. Well preserving the baseband part through TinyUmbrella.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

just show me how to have a untethered jb on my I4 and 4.2.1 and I will be happy!

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

TU won't kick your device out of recovery with 4.2.1 and preserve your baseband like it did with previous firmware. Apple has implemented a new bb check on the latest firmware.
    Is this an updated version of TU that will bypass that new check?

5. dr bishop macrumors member

6. molson2k thread starter macrumors member

No, it's not fake and, no, this is the last version of TU, which is 4.21, I believe. You're not running TSS server as the update happens. TU is able to kick iPhone 4 out of recovery mode. Just watch the YouTube video in the link.

If you believe it's fake, then that's your belief. All I'm saying is I have an iPhone 4 running at 4.2.1 with baseband 01.59.00 and I know there are people in the community who'd like to be running the latest version with an older baseband and I'm just confirming that the method in the link above DOES work and this is no fake and neither is the screenshot of my settings screen.

7. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Tinyumbrella's Website: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/
    So, who do we believe. You or person that made the program. Sorry, but I'll have to go with the later. And, JB is tethered on 4.2.1 so not worth it.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

I find it interesting that @notcom has said nothing about this since he is the man behind Tiny Umbrella. it would be kind of a big deal oh @Musclenerd nope not him either.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you don't run the TSS server the bb will update to the official one. And even the author of TU says it cannot kick the 4.2.1 firmware out of recovery.

10. molson2k thread starter macrumors member

Oh well, I kind of figured that my screenshot and assuming you watched the video, it would be proof enough. But I won't belabor the point, I'm just going to say that the method works and that's that.

11. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I certainly hope you haven't caused someone to Q@#$% up their iphone 4 thinking this will work.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

Sadly somebody is going to try this I am sure! TS just report this too notcom and he will happily confirm what you said and we will all worship the ground you walk on! because you found something Geohot the Dev-Team and everybody close to this hasn't

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your sreenshot or video means nothing.
    I trust the Dev team and the author of TU rather than some random newbie with 7 posts claiming nonsense like this.

14. BlueKhufu, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

BlueKhufu macrumors regular

This does work. I did it accidentally. I did a shift-update instead of restore, pointed it to stock 4.2.1 fw. I was at 4.1 with the original 01.59.00 bb, which may or may not be critical. iTunes popped up with the 1013 error, and TU was able to kick it out, leaving me with the same fw/bb combo as the op.
    This was the day before it WAS mentioned by notcom on twitter. If you're going to accuse people of lying and your so-called proof is no one from the circle of secret squirrels having spoken of it, you should at least pay attention to what they say, specifically the author of TU that YOU mentioned.

notcom I can finally confirm that an /update/ to 4.2.1 worked just fine :) I'll be updating TU to save Update as well as Restore SHSH's.
    9 days ago

notcom For clarification, this baseband update prevention ONLY applies to iPhone 4. NOT any other phone. Sorry.
    9 days ago

Plus plenty of references to the above since then.

15. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

Hmmm. He did nine days ago. Odd. You seemed like you knew him so well... A true authority on the subject... I find that interesting. Who are you again? Hmm. Interesting.

notcom I can finally confirm that an /update/ to 4.2.1 worked just fine :) I'll be updating TU to save Update as well as Restore SHSH's.
    9 days ago

notcom For clarification, this baseband update prevention ONLY applies to iPhone 4. NOT any other phone. Sorry.
    9 days ago

16. molson2k thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.

http://twitter.com/notcom/status/8377196192210944

http://twitter.com/notcom/status/8380214560165888

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

18. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

No worries. I accept your apology. You may continue with your lessons, Grasshopper. All kidding and sarcasm aside, notcom says an update to 4.2.1 will preserve baseband in those two tweets, he then confirms it via reply that BB 01.59.00 can be preserved on iphone 4 (here, I'll do the work for you again.)

bsharper @notcom Updated friend's iPhone 4 to 4.2.1, got 1013 error, kicked out w/ TU and now it boots w/ 4.2.1 & 1.5.9 BB!! I can send logs / pics
    4 days ago

notcom @bsharper yes. It's known that update works. Restore does not work.
    4 days ago in reply to bsharper

bsharper @notcom Gotcha. I didn't know there was a path to 4.2.1 while keeping 1.59. Just use update && !restore? Also, thanks for your work w/ TU!
    4 days ago in reply to notcom

You have two people here confirming it, you have the author of TU saying you can do it, you have a screen shot, plus a video. What exactly do you require as evidence that maybe - just maybe - the op wasn't lying?

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting if true. So restore won't let you do it but when you do an update it will?
    I bet they will shut that hole down with next firmware update.

20. BlueKhufu macrumors regular

Yeah, it was quite a shock for me. I'm on AT&T so I didn't care about the unlock. Baseband preservation was only a concern for future resale value, so I said screw it and updated when the 4.2.1 jb was good to go. I just about **** when itunes gave me the 1013 error, then a double shart when TU was able to kick it out without issue. When I got to peek at my settings and saw the baseband was still at 01.59.00 I was really in disbelief. It was later that night when I read notcom's tweet that I realized that in my lack of concern for preserving BB, I shift-updated instead of shift-restored, which ended up preserving my BB. Then OP posted the same thing and got all kinds of unjustified reaction, which really torqued me for some reason, so I had to butt in, especially when people were saying notcom never mentioned it, when he had.
    I'm guessing (please dont take my word for it) that having run TU in the past modified my hosts file before the update, otherwise it may have just updated it all without issue. Or it could have been because I preserved 01.59.00 when I upgraded to 4.1, it caused a mismatch of sorts, and threw it out with the error. I don't know, all that side is way beyond my scope, and don't want to presume, or cause someone to update BB unintentionally. Whatever it was though, it worked.

21. WilliamG macrumors 604

I can confirm the baseband is preserved, too. I didn't even need to use Tiny Umbrella when upgrading my aunt's iPhone 4 from 4.1 (with 01.59.00 baseband) to 4.2.1. We upgraded in iTunes, and got error 1013 at the end. Kicked it out of restore using Tiny Umbrella, and it's still 4.2.1 with 01.59.00. Nice!

22. labman macrumors 604

labman

Good reporting then ts hopefully this will work then when the untethered jb comes out. That's what I am waiting for. Really surprised none of the major sites aren't saying anything. The other method is such a pain in the A$$.

23. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

You just contradicted yourself. I'll bold. So which one is it, yay nor nay?

24. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I am pretty curious why they aren't shouting this from the mountain tops.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what I'm saying too.