Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I currently own a 32GB iPhone 4 that is nearly one year old. Assuming the next generation of iPhone is released this september, what will likely be the resale value of my current iPhone at that time (on eBay)? As you would expect from a one year old phone, it has some minor scratches on the glass, but is in excellent condition otherwise. I'm sure that other people with iPhone 4s are asking this same question.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Right now a fair price for a 16GB iPhone 4 is $350 used in my opinion. Come September, I believe it will close $320ish. Maybe close to $300. If you're deciding to sell now, you need to realize that you're going to be iPhone 4-less for about 4 more months. Is it worth it?

Last edited:

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
Right now a fair price for a 16GB iPhone 4 is $350 used in my opinion. Come September, I believe it will close $320ish. Maybe close to $320. If you're deciding to sell now, you need to realize that you're going to be iPhone 4-less for about 4 more months. Is it worth it?
Thanks, I figured it would be somewhere around $300. I certainly don't plan on selling at this moment. When Apple releases the next iPhone I'm going to consider what it has to offer and, if it's a substantial upgrade, then I'll sell my current iPhone 4.

AnthonySmith

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
Southern CA
Thanks, I figured it would be somewhere around $300. I certainly don't plan on selling at this moment. When Apple releases the next iPhone I'm going to consider what it has to offer and, if it's a substantial upgrade, then I'll sell my current iPhone 4.

I'm on the same boat.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I certainly don't plan on selling at this moment. When Apple releases the next iPhone I'm going to consider what it has to offer and, if it's a substantial upgrade, then I'll sell my current iPhone 4.
The only issue with that plan is that the market value for the iPhone 4 starts dropping. First when the next version is announced and secondly when everyone and his brother starts unloading their iPhone 4s. Basically supply increases will drive down the resale value.

I think the price drop may be larger then what wordoflife posted.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
The only issue with that plan is that the market value for the iPhone 4 starts dropping. First when the next version is announced and secondly when everyone and his brother starts unloading their iPhone 4s. Basically supply increases will drive down the resale value.

Yes, I certainly agree. I guess that gets back to my original question of how much will a 32GB iPhone 4 be worth after the next iPhone is released? I suppose that nobody will know for sure until the fall :p

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Same here. Have a 32 gb iPhone 4 right now but will likely sell to purchase the 5th-gen. $300 in September sounds cool. Maybe a tad more with multiple cases and a screen protector included.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Yes, I certainly agree. I guess that gets back to my original question of how much will a 32GB iPhone 4 be worth after the next iPhone is released? I suppose that nobody will know for sure until the fall :p

it really depends on the market you are going to sell to. The eBay crowd...they are slow adopters at figuring out which stuff to market is new. Back in December when i upgraded to iphone 4, i sold iphone 3gs with a cracked back case for $300 and one that wasn't cracked for $325. Both were just the base 16gb models.

By the time u hear about the upgrade, u could immediately list your phone on ebay and still do about the same as you could right now. You'd be amazed at the prices people pay for apple items.

It appears they are going for $450+ currently and several over $500--all used as well. Just as soon as you hear about new iphones and decide to buy, list immediately and you'll definitely get pretty close to todays prices.

Last edited:

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
it really depends on the market you are going to sell to. The eBay crowd...they are slow adopters at figuring out which stuff to market is new. You'd be amazed at the prices people pay for apple items.

Nice. Maybe I'll start the bidding at $400 then. :)

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
it really depends on the market you are going to sell to. The eBay crowd...they are slow adopters at figuring out which stuff to market is new. Back in December when i upgraded to iphone 4, i sold iphone 3gs with a cracked back case for $300 and one that wasn't cracked for $325. Both were just the base 16gb models.

By the time u hear about the upgrade, u could immediately list your phone on ebay and still do about the same as you could right now. You'd be amazed at the prices people pay for apple items.
Well, I would be selling it on eBay. You're right about how much people will pay for used Apple products. I once sold a refurbished 8GB iPod Touch 1st gen for $180, the exact price that I bought it for a year earlier.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Well, I would be selling it on eBay. You're right about how much people will pay for used Apple products. I once sold a refurbished 8GB iPod Touch 1st gen for $180, the exact price that I bought it for a year earlier.

yeah man it's crazy. i even see some 3gs models going for just around $300 still. i would say $400+ for sure on your phone.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
yeah man it's crazy. i even see some 3gs models going for just around $300 still. i would say $400+ for sure on your phone.

I agree, for a 32GB model over $400 is what I hope to see. Last year I sold my iPhone 3GS 32GB for $450 after I had bought my iPhone 4...so hopefully this year sees sort of the same thing. And my 4 is unlocked, so that will help with the resale too.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
If I decide to upgrade and sell my 16gb iP4 I hope to get around $320 for it. I think that'd be a fair price for an out of contract iPhone 4. I wouldn't be surprised if I got more though, people on eBay and CL have weird spending patterns IMO.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

I meant to write $300 the second time, not $320 twice :D
Will fix that now ...

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
It's crazy right now that a one year old iPhone 4 32gig fetches $500 on ebay.

They'll drop when the iPhone 5 is announced, then stay steady when everyone can't get their hands on an iPhone 5 and drop like a stone when the iPhone 5 is plentiful.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
If you time it just right, you can get top dollar for it. I sold my 3G the day before the iPhone 4 was announced for $275 I think.

However, I got a cheap replacement replacement phone for that 3-4 weeks, it was HELL. This year I'm definitely going to list it the day before it arrives.

Selling tips: start bidding at $1, free shipping, and no reserve. It's sort of a psychology thing. If an item is listed at $400 with no bids it's not very sought after. However if it's at $374 with 30 bids and only 5 hrs to go, and free shipping, it'll sell better than the other one.

Last edited:

bigbro1096

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010

I have a 16 GB iPhone 4 in great condition, but because once the iPhone 5/4S is released you can buy a iPhone 4 for $99, so I'm selling my iPhone 4 to my mom for $50. Pay $200 every year and only get $50 back. :/

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
what I usually do is look at what they are selling for on ebay. then I start asking that price on craigslist. even if they offer less it's still often more then ebay. because of paypal and auction fees. I meet them someplace public for both our safety. I even offer to meet at the police department. Honest people don't mind at all. I like getting the cash and it's over quick and easy. no ebay after sale headaches. oh I also use google voice for number and text.

motty2307

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
Indiana
It depends on what the person that is buying it wants to do with it. I sold my 16GB 3GS to a coworker who intended to jailbreak, unlock and resell it. I was able to recoup the money that I spent on it originally ($200). I wasn't trying to make money, just get back what I spent on it so I could purchase my iPhone 4. So I ended up spending $100 for my 32GB. Good tradeoff in my opinion.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I sold my mint condition iPhone 4 32gb on craigslist 3 weeks ago for $480. Easy sale.

Sold it in less than 30 minutes. I had box and unused accessories. Never used headphone or the charger since I have spares.

You can probably get higher prices on eBay but remember eBay fees and shipping can eat close to 10-12% of transaction costs.

I picked up a mint condition motorola atrix on craigslist for $300 to cover me until iPhone 5 comes out. The atrix is a very fast phone and battery life is incredible for an android phone. I am very happy with it.

You can probably still get close to $350-400 for your iPhone 4 32gb come september. It just depends on the used market.

The iPhones retain their value very well. It won't be like the iPad drop in value when the iPad 2 was announced. Because people need to use their iPhones everyday whereas iPad is a luxury item.

Some people can't live more than a few days without their iPhones. I can...may because I still have an iOS device in the iPad 2.

But the real reason I sold my iPhone 4 early was because I got fed up with the iPhone 4's prox sensor problem. I am so happy to make a phone call with my Atrix that doesn't drop the call when I move my head around. I am sure they will fix the sensor problem with the next iPhone.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
It depends on what the person that is buying it wants to do with it. I sold my 16GB 3GS to a coworker who intended to jailbreak, unlock and resell it. I was able to recoup the money that I spent on it originally ($200). I wasn't trying to make money, just get back what I spent on it so I could purchase my iPhone 4. So I ended up spending $100 for my 32GB. Good tradeoff in my opinion.

Agreed. Ur transaction was safe. Money isn't everything. Its fair deal for all parties involved.

I know guy in orlando who resells phones to tourists in orlando to take back to their country. I sold my sister 3GS 16gb for $200 also to him. He ships it to brazil. He knows me. He says no scatches he will give me $200. But if it's has a lot of wear and tear he would have to refurbish it himself with new back and glass. So he deducts $50 for wear and tear sometimes.

genexrocket

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Apple products hold resale value pretty well. I sold my iPad 1 for $400 after a year of using it.

JLemm

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
I sold a 16gb 3G that I bought on launch day for $250 to get the iPhone 4 last year? so I think 300-400 for iphone 4 16gb is reasonable, 400-500 for 32

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.