iPhone 4 Retina Display Light Bleed, Pics

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Celedral, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

Well, about a 3 weeks ago I had my perfect iPhone 4 replaced since it had a speck of dust inside that was driving me crazy, i can see it all the time. After 40mins of waiting they finally brought out another iphone which I think is a refurb.

Anyways I checked the screen looked fine and left. It was only when i got home i carefully inspected the screen that I noticed this iphone has a yellow tint compared to my previous iphone 4 and my friends. Then i noticed interlace lines, but have to look closely to spot it and it makes the pixels more visible. Upon more inspection it seems like the edges of this phone has a small amount of light bleed.

Anyone else having the same issue? got an appointment with the genius this sat

here are some pictures

EDIT:

*UPDATE*

Just got back from the apple store a few hours ago with a another iphone 4 this one is much better and no light bleed, less yellow tint, and no color shift.

Now the bad part. I told the genius my problem with the screen and he instantly put me off and told me some crap about how they have different lcd manufactures. It seemed like he had been practicing in the mirror quite a bit. I told him that theres also light bleeding and he goes off again about that all lcd has light bleed and even his has it. after 20mins of arguing he said he can exchange it if i wanted to but the new one might be even worse, then I said " I'll take that chance" and get this he says Well I can't exchange it if there is no issue. I told him that I received a refurb last time and and he again instantly says "APPLE DON'T MAKE REFURBS!!"

So he finally decides to go back and exchange it and i had to wait another 20mins before he comes back out. Now he tells me that He can't exchange my iphone because I had a cut sim instead of a micro sim. He said he can't do anything about it. Previously I exchanged my previous one with no issues with the sim. So he says i can talk to a manager so i insisted that I do. He brings over a regular apple employee who pretends to be the manager. I can tell in his character and when he was talking his hands started shaking.(poker player instinct) So they said I had to go to AT&T and activate my regular sim to micro sim. My girlfriend who i brought with me finally got fed up with their nonsense and told them we were here previously and they exchanged it without having the need of a micro sim.

Eventually we left to the AT&T store and came back. They brought out a iphone 4 and told me to sign the paper, after inspecting it there was a few dead pixels. The genius tells me that they can't change it unless it has at least a group of dead pixels. Now i know that there are a few since the retina display has a very dense pixels and they were at least 10+ in that spot. Then he goes on to say that he would change it for me this time.

Well thats my RANT for my apple store experience.

Attached Files:

2. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

I have the same thing you have but I think they've always been made that way.

Its an LED backlit screen, I figured they're always like that. They need to put those LEDs somewhere. FWIW, my MacBook Pro's screen is like that too.

When you said light bleed, I thought you meant something like the 3GS bezel light leaks.

But OP, IMHO, I dont think its a defect and I dont think they would switch it out for you and it doesnt really effect the use of the phone. I think you should keep it, you could be trading it in for another phone with a possibly worse problem.

As for the yellow tint thing, i dont think its a problem either. Both my phone since the 3G (3GS and now 4) have had the warmer screen again I dont think its anything worth returning for. I actually kind of prefer it to the 2Gs "cold blue" screen.

3. Celedral thread starter macrumors 6502

Celedral

Yeah, i usually don't make a big deal out of these things, but my previous was perfect so I had higher expectations for all other iphone 4s

My previous iphone 4 screen had no light bleed what so ever and when the screen display white it was pure white, not tinted yellow.

Thanks for the response

4. kre62 macrumors 68000

You need a new phone. Do not put up with a yellow tinted screen. Its definitely a defect. Get a new phone. You wont be able to sell that yellow screened monstrosity to anyone.

5. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Its not a defect. Gizmodo noted the yellow screens and that the screens have been getting warmer.

http://goo.gl/KJph

6. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I have the tint too, though a store model I saw didn't (sadly didn't check if it was 16 or 32GB). What you photo captures is something that bother me, if I rotate the phone some to the left or the right then the colours shift.

Twisting to the right the colors start going browner and twisting to the left they go bluer/greyer. Do the IPS screen's great viewing angles no apply to the colors as well? Really bugs me that the colors shift so much when twisting / turning the phone left or right (mostly uniform tilting back and forward)

I am debating replacing my phone with its yellowy screen for another phone if I can.

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

Biggest fallacy of all time. They said the EXACT SAME THING when the 3GS came out. After a few months people noticed...hmm...most of the 3GS phones were now coming with bright white perfect screens.

Most iPhone4 screens are nice and white and clear. The store models all have clear screens. Therefore, a yellow screen is a defect. It is not intended. Especially when >90% are clear.

8. Celedral thread starter macrumors 6502

Celedral

I compared my replaced phone with my friends and there was a big difference when brightness set to half. The yellow tint is very noticeable. And right after I looked at his I looked straight back to mine and it seems the pixels are popping out with an interlaced effect

I just hope the genius won't try to deny the issue

9. kre62 macrumors 68000

Listen, there is no one here with more yellow screen iphone experience then me. I've went through 5 3GS' at launch last year. I have also had friends with yellow screens, and have helped even people I didnt know, like yourself, with them. I hate yellow screens.

So I will tell you that the first thing the genius will do is give you a puzzled look, and either look like, or directly state, that they have never even remotely heard of that issue before. It never fails. And yellow screens have plagued the 3G, the 3GS, and now the 4. Trust me, they've heard of it.

Place your phone next to a display unit, or better yet their personal phone. Demand a new phone with a clear screen. They'll give it to you.

10. Celedral thread starter macrumors 6502

Celedral

yeah most likely I will just compare it to the ones on display. I didn't really pay $660 for a bad refurb with a yellow screen. Thanks again

11. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

12. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

you replaced a perfect phone.. for a single piece of dust

hahaha I'm glad I don't have to live life in your shoes

13. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Replace it. I don't have that on my iPhone 4.

14. kre62 macrumors 68000

Hey you dont have to admit you're wrong. Its just painfully obvious that you are.

15. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Mine does that too, I didn't think anything of it. My phone works great and it doesnt bother me one bit.

16. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Oh?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
    http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/publications/pdfs/ssl/color_quality_of_white_leds.pdf

Again, OP, I dont think its a defect. There are numerous sources out there that say that the screens have been gradually been getting warmer and theres even one link there that says it might be firmware related. But dont let me or my illogically reasoned opponent make the decision for you. Its up to YOU if it bothers YOU. YOU have to use it every day. Not me or him. I'm just warning you, dont be so disheartened if you get turned away solely because your screen was warmer. Also keep in mind that the phone they swap it out with might have an ever worse problem (and when it comes to iP4, there are way way worse problems). "[Warmer screens] That's intentional, Apple’s senior director of iPhone product marketing, Bob Borchers, told MacWorld in its first official response on the matter. It's meant to make the display "more natural" and less like harsh fluorescent lightning."

http://gizmodo.com/5024703/apple-yellow-iphone-3g-screen-is-warmer-and-by-design
    http://www.wirelessinfo.com/content/iPhone-3G-Screens-Are-Brighter-And-More-Yellow.htm
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=727036

I guess, man. You replaced 5 working phones because they one had a warmer color temperature. You're right. There is clearly something wrong with me. :rolleyes: I feel bad for the Genius that had to deal with you. If they replaced it five (!!) they did so out of the milk of kindness and were concerned with making you happy not for a defect.

The forums are OCD enough as it is. Lets just agree to disagree.

Edited to remove ad hominem argument.

17. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

+1

18. Celedral thread starter macrumors 6502

Celedral

Got a replacement, this ones is Definitely much nicer. No interlaced lines, less yellow tint (more natural). no color shifting, and biggest one no light bleed.

I updated my first post to reflect my experience on getting the replacement

19. sonicare macrumors newbie

LOL..you have ocd..

Let go and enjoy life man...dont stress over a phone. A phone shouldn't define your happiness man.

Come on, your life is better than the quality of your phone .....OK!!!

20. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Any chance you could take an updated photos of the screen at similar angles?

Glad to hear its better. I'm still torn, I get used to the tint for a bit and then shift the phone at angle a bit right and the screen goes browner.

21. Celedral thread starter macrumors 6502

Celedral

Yeah like I previously mentioned I wouldn't care much, but I had to pay full price for the phone so I wanted to get my moneys worth. :)

22. Celedral thread starter macrumors 6502

Celedral

Will do once I get my lens back from a friend.

23. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

I have similar experience, very bad. I bought a new iphone 4 a few weeks ago from AT&T. when I got home, I can see the screen is yellowish/tin, compared to my old HTC window phone. since ATT rep said that any issues have to go through Apple,

I went to apple store. all 8 iphone 4 on display look white, compared to mine. apple geinus brought out two phones in black plastic boxes, and their screens look darker/yellowish, compared to display phones. after some explaining and complaining, the genius said he can bring the third one out and that is the last one, regardless of the screen. luckily, the third one screen looked better but still not as white as the display phones. He also warned me that once replaced, I can't return to ATT.

a few days later, I found out that the replaced phone has issue with phone speaker. I can barely hear the other person when on call. I took it back to the apple store. the genius brought out one and it has the screen yellowish issue. after arguing, he said that since I exchanged last time for the same reason, they can't bring out a second one. take it or leave it as it sounded. I left the store with the same phone.

I went to ATT. since the phone is a replace from apple. ATT can't return. they told me I have to go to apple store. when I said that I don't want to deal with apple and want to cancel my account. they replaced a new one in retail box with condition that I can't no longer cancel acct. thanks God, the screen looks perfect and no issue so far.

24. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

and if you don't mind going through the hassle of nagging the apple store geniuses, you're perfectly right to do so.

Pixel defects or light bleed are things you can't 'unsee' once you've noticed them, really. I'm totally with you on that one

25. SR2 macrumors regular

This isn't OCD this is retardation. This and the guy who's afraid to answer his phone because he doesn't want to get it dirty. These posts are really getting out of hand. Don't you people realise how stupid you look when you make these threads?