iPhone 4 Review - October 2010

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajarnfalang, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

There are a lot of reviews out there on the iPhone 4, but I can't find any recent ones.

I am a Blackberry user and will be changing to the iPhone 4. I live in Thailand and it is the only phone that gets unlimited 3G, so I can tether and have high speed internet in my house.

I will pick up the phone in 2 days. There is a 3 week waiting time in Thailand.

So far I can say that, the model that I tested has no apparent issues and feels solid. It comes with iOS 4.1 of course. I was holding it to test the antenna, but there is nothing at all wrong with it. My BB loses more bars when I choke it than the iPhone 4.

I also installed iPhone Explorer to make it easier to organize pictures.

So, I will be back to tell you a blow by blow of my experience with the iPhone 4.

The provider here is True Move. I pay $20 per month for unlimited EDGE and 3G (with tether. Providers in Thailand let you tether all you want to. 3G limit is 3GB per month).

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Why would you want a recent one, the design and features haven't changed since launch.

This still applies, http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/22/iphone-4-review/

3. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

^

Many are wondering if all the issues have been resolved in the newest batch of iPhones, specially after all the rumors that there would be a change in manufacturing after September 30th that would resolve the antenna issue.

This plus the fact the phone are shipping with 4.1.

The engadget article you posted is not really a review of the phone, it is a description of the specs. You should have posted the review by Consumer Reports instead of the few reviews that has nothing but flowers to throw at the phone. Consumer Reports went as far as saying they do not recommend the phone because of the antenna, and they did that twice.

I am here to tell people from a regular person what is happening with the new batch of iPhones as the reviews are all from when the phone came out.

Anyway, I just received an SMS to pick it up on Friday.

4. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

congrats, read up on the firmware updates made since launch and you're good to go

5. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

^

I know about 4.1 and all the fixing about the bars and the sensor.

I am still hearing 2 complaints though:

1) Using the speakerphone people on the other end can't hear you.
    2) You still press buttons with your cheeks

I will test these out and report.

6. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Those who wonder are fools. iPhones manufactured after September 30th are the same as iPhones sold on release day June 24th. This "new batch" theory is completely absurd. :rolleyes:

New batches will come in june/july 2011 and it will be iPhone 5.

7. boogaloo shrimp macrumors newbie

aside from additions to firmware the absolute only change that is significant since the launch day is....

-proximity sensor recalibrated to actually work now.........a significant yet simple change.

I bought a 4 on launch day, and now I have another 4 that is a month old, they're the exact same.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

but, what about all those rumors, they have to be true, otherwise why would people say that Apple is going to release a new phone after sept 30th if its not true.

(yes, this is pure sarcasm)

9. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

A change can be made to the phone and implement it. Why not? Just because Apple didn't tell you they did doesn't mean they didn't. You wouldn't know. They could start shipping phones with a Hello Kitty face in the back instead of an Apple Logo. People would say: I got an iPhone 4 last month, I bought one yesterday and it came with a Hello Kitty face on the back".

iPhone 4's are being manufactured. Right? It is not like they made them all at once.

What if they find that the holes for the headsets are too small and no headset will fit. Are you saying that people who buy an iPhone 4 now wouldn't be able to use a headset and would have to wait to buy an iPhone 5 when changes can be made? Or do you think Apple would get on it and fix the issue and tell you to return your iPhone and get a new one. It was a problem in manufacturing but it has been resolved.

10. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

Nobody said they would make a new phone. They said the first iPhone's sold had an issue during the manufacturing process and that issue was addressed, so if you bought one recently, you are less likely to have switched volume buttons, dropped calls when you touch it etc.

Because if you think the antenna issue was a software problem you are dreaming.

11. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

You have 2? Jaysus.

So, how is your:

1. Reception
    2. Speakerphone volume (can the other person hear you and can you hear them?)
    3. Do you have the problem where you record videos and it records no sound?)
    4. Did you ever have those "yellow spots" on the screen?

Serious questions. I really want to know.

12. detoxguy macrumors member

Just Giv'r

I think I heard about maybe ONE case of switched volume buttons but hey....do the review if you really want to. It will just be a review of the ONE phone you got in your hometown on your network. That is all it will be and nobody will really care....except maybe someone who lives in the same place you do.

Go for it.

13. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't asking for your permission.

But hey, Thanks!

Then again, you can make that comment about every person who reviewed the phone here and all over the internet. There are reviews of the iphone 4 from all over the world. They have hundreds of thousands of people interested.

I thought you guys thought the iPhone 4 is the same no matter when and where you get it.

14. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

For the guy who said that it doesn't matter when you got your iPhone 4, here in this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=951306

It's obvious it does matter. You can see a high number of people with issues from phones manufactured week 22-25-27 etc and no issues with phones week 40 and so on.

15. oilfighter macrumors regular

I think it's kinda funny that you come here asking for the differences on later built iPhone 4, then get told that it's the same (it is!), and decided that it's not really the answer you want, and proceed to argue with people who actually owns the iphone 4.

16. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

+ 1 , plus the people who think apple is secretly waiting to update the hardware for the white verizon iPhone, that's like 3 dumb rumors rolled into one giant ball of fail

17. err404 macrumors 68020

I'm sure that they are continuously tweaking the production lines to in order to reduce the number of defects, but the product is ultimately unchanged. If you have a defect-free launch day iPhone, it will be the same as one built today.
    The difference is that your odds of getting a defect-free phone look to have improved.

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

19. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

make that 4 (including this thread) rumors rolled into the giant ball of fail

Attached Files:

20. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Mine's a week 42 with 4.1. I just tried the speakerphone and the other party had no issues hearing me. I also hear them perfectly. I did have the volume up 2 notches from full and they were a good volume, not terribly loud, so I doubt this could ever be used on a bus/subway/car with all the traffic noise, or out at the bar/restaurant/shopping mall. But, I don't think that's what it was intended for.

I have not yet pressed any buttons with my cheeks. When I am done a call and look at the phone, it is still a black screen and then quickly shows the screen where I can hang up the call.

21. 802.11mac macrumors member

802.11mac

there's also a 3 week waiting time here in the Philippines. :( I'm really excited to get one but i guess i'll just have to wait.

22. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

OK people. I now own an iPhone 4.

Firstly whoever said I shouldn't argue with people who actually have one was right.

Everything I have said so far is total nonsense. My apologies.

My iPhone 4 is the same one they've always had from day one.

I will keep my review short.

Firstly I'd like to say this phone had no, I repeat , NO issues at all. It works perfectly.

I already set up my email to push. Gmail you have to set up as "exchange" not Gmail.

Anyway, push in the iPhone is as good as push in the Blackberry. There is nothing I miss about my BB Bold.

The screen is amazing. I saw the Galaxy S in person. Forget it. This screen is really a wonder of engineering. Actually the entire phone is. This is the highest quality built phone out there. I've seen almost all of them.

Syncing my stuff in iTunes was a matter of a copy and paste.

I am getting 3 times the battery life compared to BB.

Anyway. This is the best $700 I ever spent. Yes, phones here are not subsidized.

Also I don't have any cheesy cases on it. It's naked. I have it in a nice leather case made by Capdase.

Speakerphone and all the other things work perfectly.

The antenna issue is real. But I can only replicate it in rooms with very bad sig al. Also o would have to hold it like a moron. So, as far as that goes, in terms of daily usage it makes no difference.

Just like any smartphone the iPhone has it's quirks with the antenna, but you get used to holding it the first couple of days. It is not a big deal. There is nothing I personally had to change to use this.

Oh BTW,

This was posted from my iPhone 4.

Don't listen to the haters. I realize now a lot of crap about this phone on the Internet is ********.

This is hands down the best smartphone out there.

If you don't like apple for some reason, just get another phone.

Anyway. I absolutely recommend it.

23. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

Yep. Same here buddy.

People who say the iPhone is a nice PDA but a bad phone are dreaming.

No hitting buttons with my face either. The screen locks. You pull it away from your face, wait 2 seconds and the screen turns back on.

Speakerphone according to those I was calling was much clearer than my BB.

24. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Welcome to the iPhone world, it is truly an amazing piece of technological engineering.

You said you were carrying it naked. I would recommend a case. It is glass front and back and although the glass is stronger than normal glass it will break or get scratched. Just check out the threads on this forum for proof of that.

Anyway enjoy your Phone.