iPhone 4 Scratched Already?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Statusnone88, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I know there have been some threads on this already but has anyone noticed any minor/major scratches on the FRONT of the ip4? I've heard about it on the back and camera lens, but not the front. Mine are very minor but noticeable in the light on the bottom left corner (picture unavailable since my phone is my only camera)

I've kept this phone in a microfiber pouch since I got it and the screen is always kept spotless. I also treat it like a baby so I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced some front glass scratching already.

2. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

You're protecting wrong!

Sucks man. No matter how hard we all try to prevent it's going to happen.

I refuse to put on a shield of any kind because it gives the screen that hideous glare/plasticky look.

Screw it. It still looks great and naked is the only way to go (that is if you can hold it right).

3. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I've placed it in my pocket by itself for 2 days and screen looks fine. I know, only 2 days, but so far so good. I plan on getting some type of screen protector, front and back, haven't decided on which though.

4. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

do you mean scratch as in on a white background there is the rainbow discoloration, or like spiderweb scratching as a black car would get?

5. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Spider web scratch. It's very faint but now that I've seen it, it's extremely noticeable in the light.

I had my iPhone 3G for 2 years with no case other than a leather belt holster and the screen has not one scratch on it.

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I have case that protects the sides and back but nothing on the front. Surface and edges are exposed. My phone usually stays in my pocket or death grip in my hand. So far screen is perfect.

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Same, even dropped it on concrete second day I got it and landed face down and screen on that one is still perfect. My gf uses it now.

8. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

turn off the lights.

Steve
    Sent from my iPhone

But on a serious note I do see small scratches with the majority being in the bottom left. hmm

9. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

as much as people say that it takes away from the retina display, i would never go without putting a screen protector on, currently have maximum zagg shield.
    as i said, i know it makes the screen a little less amazing but id rather that than the gutting feeling of realising its scratched.

get a protector. i'd bet if you stick a zagg shield over it you wouldnt even notice the scratch

10. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Yeah, my scratch is hairline and it extends from the left side to the bottom about a half an inch from the corner.

I really don't see how people that have been shoving it in their pockets don't have scratches but me who has it sit in a microfiber sleeve when it's not in my hands could.

11. xyz1534 macrumors regular

Can you post some pics please?

12. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I have no way of posting any pictures. My ip4 is technically the only camera I have in my possession so it's just not possible.

From the looks of things though... I can't even feel a gash when I run my nail over it. Is it possible it could be under the coating and I just didn't notice it until now?

13. BadMoon macrumors 6502

LOL at "pouch people". Bet you madams look totally awesome when you get a call and pull your "pouch" out to answer it. Haha!

14. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

There are some that are extremely clear. I've heard some good things about the SGP STEINHEIL screens. You can find a couple reviews in the accessories subforum.

15. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Was going to ask you if it was under the glass.

On the plus side, you couldn't ask for a better situation for this to happen in. You can exchange it for any number of reasons (take your pick), and return it no questions asked. And please, no self-righteous people chime in saying it's abusing their policy. You're the customer, if you aren't satisfied let them know and you'll be amazed at how accommodating they are given the current climate.

16. puggles macrumors regular

I have a pretty noticeable scratch on the bottom left corner too.

17. Storrow macrumors regular

i had a scratch like this. it was only noticeable in the sunlight but it ran up the right side of the phone right where i would normally use my thumb to scroll. i had to swap that phone out because there was a screw loose inside it. i put this shield on the new phone the second i bought it. i love this one because it's real thin and you can barely tell its on there.

http://www.izgadget.com/2010/07/13/cheap-coverage-for-your-iphone-4-physical-coverage-that-is/

i BARELY even touched the screen of the phone that got the scratch. i had it for only a few days and i babied the hell out of it. go grab a screen protector asap as apple kind of choked on this. the screen is way too delicate.

18. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I already planned on exchanging the phone for the proximity sensor issue. My only fear is that like some people who exchanged for one problem and got stuck with another. But if I do switch it out for something, I'll be buying a screen protector to bring with me the second it comes out of the box.

And to the person who asked, I'm pretty sure now it's under the glass since I can't catch it on my nail or anything. But Apple wouldn't replace that even if it was true

19. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I have a few spider web scratches here and there on the phone that i can only see in the direct sunlight. Not a biggie to me to worry about such a little thing. My 21k car has this same thing but im not crying about it. Its a just a phone at the end of the day. If it was a scratch where the screen look discolored than i would be mad or upset, but a few light spider web scratches is no big deal.

20. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Yes they would, trust me.

21. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Well how do I prove it's under the glass? I've got an LED flashlight to it now and it's definately under the glass to me, but still minor.

22. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I promise you don't have to prove much. I have complained over some VERY minor cosmetic issues (that were manufacturing defects) and they have never argued with me.

One of the things Apple is good at in my experience (in-store but ESPecially on the phone support) is understanding that the customer is always right. If you walk in and tell them (courteously) that you love your phone but are really disappointed about x, y, or z, they aren't going to stand there and call you a liar. Sure, maybe they'll snicker about it in their genius lounge after you leave, but who cares?

Bottom line: If it's making you crazy, tell them so. Trust me, in the current climate they will do anything it takes to make you happy within their means.

23. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get them to replace it for the proximity sensor. I had the chance to yesterday at the store but decided not to. But I'm guessing I just had a "nice" Genius. Time to schedule another appointment when my iPad comes in...

24. Statusnone88 thread starter macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

You are 100% right. Read my above post. I had one tell me they weren't doing swap outs for PS issues but after talking with him he said if I truly wanted to, he would. Again, my only concern is getting someone who is less compassionate at the store. But all in all you are totally right and if I express my dissapointment in a respectful way, then they'll listen.

25. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

that's why i have a screen protector and keep it in a case, lol, i love this phone and don't want anything to happen to it