Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hamoodi

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
I have been using one since i got my iPhone 4 last september. Should i keep it on, or take it off and just leave glass? I absolutely hate scratches so keep that in mind before you respond! Thanks!:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

x-ray-cat

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2011
I agree with vincenz, though you sound a bit like you really want to keep it on! But yes - much better experience!

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
It's up to you. If you want to make 100% sure you won't get a scratch on it, leave it on. Accidents happen and if a scratch will bother you, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I don't use one but I don't mind if my phone gets a tiny scratch here and there. The glass on the iPhone 4/4S is scratch resistant, too.

I say don't use one, but it's ultimately up to you.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
As long as you're fairly careful with your phone, you don't need one. I used one for many months until I decided to ditch it when I got my 4S. It's a lot, lot nicer without it and I've not had a scratch yet (not even a surface scratch in the oleophobic coating, in fact).

Jaaay

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Take it off. You'll get to enjoy the phone as it was supposed to be.

Its a god damn screen protector, its hardly visible for god's sake. Its really not going to make a difference to your iPhone experience.

This forum is so pathetic sometimes.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
If you absolutely hate scratches I suggest leaving it on.

I've seen scratches on an iPhone 4's screen, iPod touch's screen and scratch on the back of an iPhone 4S. The screen is scratch resistant but not scratch proof.

Angryipadguy

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I think posts like that are more pathetic they were giving their opinion.

I think he has a valid point. It's a stupid question. Either you don't want scratches on your screen or you do. Why on earth you would need to ask everyone on a forum is beyond me! It's like saying I want to protect my phone should I use a case or not use a case! It's a simple question you can answer your self.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I think this gorilla glass they use is supper tough.

Even if it hasn't progressed in 3 years our old iPhone 3G which is now soley used by my 3 year doesn't even have scratches on the screen.

Previously it was my wifes phone and she dropped it god knows how many times.

Scratches on the back but not the screen.

I'm too scared to try without. Just the other day, my iPhone 4s fell off my leg and down between the seat and the central console in my car. I practically mangled my fingers trying to retrieve it and somehow the screen was scratched to hell, i think as i struggled to pull it up the screen rubbed against the metal railing the seat fixes onto.

Luckily as i peeled off the screen protector the screen was pristine. However, who knows what would have happened without a protector.

I personally don't even know it's there, it's well installed, no bubbles and perfect alignment with the earpiece and home button.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Always go with a screen protector.

I don't even notice that its there and you get a sense of safety. Rocks, water, anything else won't damage the screen. If it does scratch, put on a new one, simple as that. There is NO drawback to a screen protector.

Only fools don't use a screen protector.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I think this gorilla glass they use is supper tough.

Even if it hasn't progressed in 3 years our old iPhone 3G which is now soley used by my 3 year doesn't even have scratches on the screen.

Previously it was my wifes phone and she dropped it god knows how many times.

Scratches on the back but not the screen.

I'm too scared to try without. Just the other day, my iPhone 4s fell off my leg and down between the seat and the central console in my car. I practically mangled my fingers trying to retrieve it and somehow the screen was scratched to hell, i think as i struggled to pull it up the screen rubbed against the metal railing the seat fixes onto.

Luckily as i peeled off the screen protector the screen was pristine. However, who knows what would have happened without a protector.

I personally don't even know it's there, it's well installed, no bubbles and perfect alignment with the earpiece and home button.

It's not Gorilla Glass.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Gorilla glass is not scratch proof..... It's scratch resistant. I learned this on one of my android devices; phone + keys + pocket = scratches.

Go with a screen protector.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I had a Motorola dumb phone for four years. No screen protector and not one scratch. But I'm using a Power Support protector on the iPhone because the touch screen interface will get a lot more use. I can't even tell it's there. Make up your own mind.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I use a screen protector because I don't want scratches on my screen for resale later on. I can't even tell it's there so yea why not use one. If you hate scratches then you should use it, don't know why you have to get the opinion of people on forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Power Support FTW

Can not even tell its there, and honestly like the feel better than the actual glass a lot smoother.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
No. Though I use a flip case, I've never seen a scratch on any iPhone screen in the company - and that's 120+ at this moment in time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.