iPhone 4 screen protector??

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by theiphoneaddict, Oct 2, 2010.

1. theiphoneaddict macrumors newbie

theiphoneaddict

Is a screen protector really necessary on the iPhone 4? who is or isn't using a screen protector and if so what kind are you using..:apple:

2. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Not necessary but if you want to avoid scratching your screen it's a good idea.

3. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I use a Power Support anti-glare. Saves my sanity when it comes to finger prints plus I feel a little safer.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Screen protectors don't do much. The glass on the iPhone 4 is pretty strong, being gorilla glass. Shouldn't ever scratch.

5. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

I'm using this also, took a bit to get used to the matte finish on it but it is pretty damn resistant to finger prints. I do wish it came with one for the back though but it's no biggie.

6. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I choose not to use one because I make a conscious effort to be careful with it. The coating Apple uses all but eliminates finger prints, and provides excellent tactile feedback which is ruined when covered.

The iPhone 4 comes with Oleophobic coating on the display which resists fingerprints _better_ than any screen protector... period.

Yet in some cases a protector is warranted so it's largely a personal decision. If you're really worried use one like the excellent, easy to apply without having to use water or solutions, Boxwave screen protector.

7. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Trust me, the iPhone's screen may be better than clear screen protectors but it doesn't hold a candle to an anti-glare screen's ability to resist finger prints.

The trade off is that you lose a bit of clarity from the screen. For me, I've enjoyed the phone more with the anti-glare because although the image is brought down a notch, it's nowhere near as distracting as a screen with smudges on it.

I do second the statement about using a GOOD screen protector though. The cheapo's, and some that you wouldn't expect to be cheapo's, will leave you disappointed. My personal choice is Power Support, very happy with them.

Also, when you do a dry install, I highly recommend turning off your central air, go into your bathroom, crank the shower as hot as it will go and let the steam build up THEN install your screen protector. The steam pulls the dust particles about of the air and will result in a perfect install almost every time.

8. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

For those of you who mistakenly think that the screen is nearly scratch-proof with careful use, have a look at the number of complaints over at the Apple forums. The same can be said about the Gorilla Glass equipped Galaxy S and Droid. I have personally never scratched Gorilla Glass, but I have seen too many well maintained units with scratches to take the chance.

I despise screen protectors, even the best of them, but I am forced to use one because either the glass and/or the coating is fairly easy to scratch.

9. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Don't forget that the oleophobic coating is probably what's being scratched, not the glass.

10. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I didn't think I would need a screen protector, but I have two small scratches on the front of the glass with no clue how they got there, since I babied my phone and never dropped it or sat it down face first. I bought cheap plastic films at Wal-Mart, a pack of 3 for $7, I think. Not quite as high quality as the Power Support films but pretty close, plenty good enough for me. Protects the screen and makes the existing small abrasions invincible.

I use a bumper. The back has been without protection for over 2 months and I've not seen any scratches or marks at all, it's still flawless.

11. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

The back is where I got my first scratch. Also no idea how it happened although I know when it happened, I just can't think of anything that happened at that time to cause it.

It's my front that is still perfect.

I'm with the other poster though, I think it's the coating that gets scratched more easily. I see no reason that the original iPhone with weaker glass and no coating would be MORE resistant to scratches then the newer screens.

12. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

One caution ... the high moisture content in a steam filled bathroom will usually void your warranty.

It's not noticeable on an iPhone because Apple does not let you look at the battery unless you take the phone apart. The steam turns the white moisture detector labels red, when Apple sees that during warranty service, they void the warranty.

13. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

If they are that easy to set off, I'd thing a nice humid day with the sun out after a rain would be enough to void your warranty. I could be wrong though.

14. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I've had every iPhone since day one and not scratched any of them. I just don't put keys in my pocket with the phone, or leave it face up on my desk. I use a Speck pixelskin case which has a ridge around the display just thick enough to raise it off the surface of the desk when sitting face down. It works perfectly.

The Oleophobic coating Apple applies, is extremely durable. It's the very reason Apple no longer sells screen protectors in Apple Stores.

Most screen protectors affect the phones responsiveness to input just enough to take away the crisp feel and fast response time. A detractor I'm not willing to live with.

15. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have never had a screen protector on any of the three iPhones I've owned (iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 4). I've never really had a problem with scratches or anything at all. I don't like the way that the screen looks and feels with those protectors on it.

16. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

That's funny because I bought my power support from an apple store just last week.

17. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Yeah, Apple is definitely selling screen protectors at least in some cases. I saw the Power Supply kits in the Shibuya Apple store as well. Had a damn good price too...

18. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

They're selling the Power Support anti-glare at my Apple store. Too bad they're not selling the clear ones. Nothing like just popping over there and having someone else put it on for you. I've had 3 iphones now and still can't get the hang of putting those on right without any bubbles!

19. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

i wouldnt say its needed, but for people who normally resell their phones, we like to keep it brand spanking new. With a protector on the screen, just gives you alittle more piece of mind when you have your phone in your pocket/purse.

Ive ALWAYS used some type of screen protection on my phones. Now that i have a iPhone 4, people are always wanting to play with it, touch it...put the death grip on etc etc....

Needed? No, should you get it? personal preference.

I use the SGP Ole, while is does show up finger prints alot....honestly, you cant even tell its there.

20. mugtastic macrumors regular

mugtastic

power support anti-glare. loved it on my 3g and now my 4.

21. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Bad and erroneous information here, it would be wise not to follow this persons recommendation or believe that it "shouldn't ever scratch" :rolleyes:

BTW it's NOT Gorilla glass :rolleyes::rolleyes:

22. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Again, bad information here and Apple does sell iPhone 4 screen protectors.

23. xyphr3 macrumors member

I use a zagg screen cover because I dont wanna have to deal with scratches. Plus I wash my hands a lot since I am in the medical field and sometimes I have some water let on my finger tips and the cover keeps the water off the screen.

When I bought my iPhone 4 at an Apple store, I was told they don't sell screen protectors.

24. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

I use Power Support crystal on my 4. While fingerprints do piss me off, I know a tiny scratch on my iPhone's screen would piss me off much much more and I wouldn't be able to wipe it off with a microfiber cloth.
    I tried PS anti-glare too. I liked it on my 3gs, but removed it from my iPhone 4 right away - it was too noticeable and made the retina display too grainy for my taste.

25. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Can't say I've noticed this. I've used power support films, my iPad has a generic plastic film, I've used Best Skins Ever, and my current iPhone has a generic protector from Wal-Mart and I don't notice a single bit of lack of response time. I'm not sure how there could be, honestly, either the phone picks up the input or it doesn't, I don't think there's much in between to go wrong.