iPhone 4 sim does not appear to be supported! Help!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by WilliamG, Jul 18, 2010.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

So I just exchanged my USA AT&T-locked iPhone 4 at a UK Apple store for a few hardware issues (unrelated to antennagate), but I can't activate the new phone because it says the sim is unsupported! Now bear in mind Apple said it would work fine and just "needed to be left connected to iTunes for about half an hour" but it's obviously not working an hour later. My sim worked perfectly before transferring to the new handset.

I'm panicked, as now I have no phone here. Applecare said I need to contact AT&T, but I know they're going to be useless! :(

Please advise!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you exchanged your AT&T USA locked phone at a UK Apple store?
    And you expected it to work with your USA sim?
    What they gave you was false info.
    Now you need to bring it to an Apple store in the US and have it exchanged again. You should have known it wasnt going to work and thats why iphone Applecare is only available in the country it was purchased.

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Where does it say that? AppleCare USA and AppleCare UK insisted this was not the case, and I can't find anything to that effect in their ToC.

4. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I thought UK iphone4 are sim free/factory unlocked phone, so it should work with all SIM.

From engadget.com.

5. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Well nobody told my new iPhone 4... How do you find out?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You talked to some really misinformed apple reps.
    Warranty work has to be done in the country where the phone was purchased.
    Can I get my iPhone serviced outside the country of purchase?
    No, service for eligible repairs or replacements is only available in the country where your iPhone was purchased.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#repair3

That's false.
    Not all uk iPhones are sold unlocked.
    Some you gotta wait till your term agreement ends or pay extra to have them officially unlocked.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Regardless of that, Apple did apparently replace it, and it should work (since phones from the Apple Store aren't locked). The only thing that's crossing my mind is that they accidentally handed over an O2 device or other locked one, but I don't know why those would even be held in stock.

If bought from Apple, they're not locked. If you buy it from an operator, then different terms may apply.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This might be more of the reason than anything else. OP just go back to Apple.

9. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

Did we just discover a new loophole here, next time I go to Hong kong or Canada, I might want to check out the local apple store.:D

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes unless the rep actually does his job right and punches in the serial number:D

11. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What if the rep you get is a newbie doing everything by the book or some rep that does by the book and no deiviation what-so-ever. What then? I'll tell you what, you'll be screwing your own self. Harsh, but true. Best not to try that luck.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry it's an old link to that page that I had saved but they must have changed it.
    Try to go back to that store and have them figure it out. Don't leave until your AT&T sim works. Sounds like they gave you a vodafone locked iPhone. See if they can officially unlock it for you.

14. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

I will have to do that, thanks... *sigh*

15. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

OK! Update!

I went back to the store, explained the situation to them and told then to fix it! They said what must have happened is what I suspected: the phone got locked to Vodafone when I put my brother's Vodafone iPhone 4 sim in my iPhone.

So! They grabbed another iPhone 4 and put my SIM in, and connected to iTunes. Boom, same error: Sim not supported. They said it can take a bit of time, and I told them I got the same error yesterday and it never got past that screen. They told me not to worry and give it more time. So I hung around at the Apple Store for a bit, and after about 10 minutes I re-connected my phone to one of their Genius Bar computers, and the phone activated immediately.

So, apparently that "SIM not supported" message is not necessarily a bad thing if you're 1.) patient enough, and 2.) AT&T isn't broken, and you CAN get international warranty service on the iPhones now. I asked the Apple Store rep why it had trouble yesterday getting past that message, and she told me that AT&T's network was having issues yesterday which is why it didn't work. In any case, I'm up and running again now, yay.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Intersting situation.
    Glad it worked out in the end.

17. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Yep. And sadly the phone is definitely locked to AT&T again. Shows all the UK networks in the network list, and no other SIMs work in it. Ah well. :)

At least people now know you can indeed get an iPhone serviced in another country!

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That sucks.
    It would be nice if u got a factory unlocked one in return of the US iPhone :)

19. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

No, sadly not! :(