iPhone 4 small crack - will Apple replace for free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arram, Nov 12, 2010.

1. arram macrumors member

Theres a small crack on top left corner, not very noticeable as you can see. Will apple replace this for free if I tell them i have been getting dropped calls (which I have) ? thanks

[​IMG]

2. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I doubt it, they'll probably use the crack as a reason of misuse.

3. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, Doesn't look like manufacturer defect to me.

5. xela24678 macrumors regular

depends how good you sell the story. lol. but on a more serious note, if it really is bothering you, put a screen protector on it, it will cover up the scratch so you won't be able to see it. the protection doesn't hurt either

6. calvy macrumors 65816

nope. A friend of mine has the same cracks on his phone. He tried to talk a Genius into trading him for a new one, but was denied. He has the same case on his too, which I keep arguing offers little protection. Although it is my favorite case as well (I'm assuming that's an Incase Snap Smoke)

7. Carlanga, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You could try and go and see if it's covered by the warranty, if anything they could just say no...

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

So in other words, you are going to blame your drops calls, so you can exchange your cracked iphone 4 for new one?

Every phones get drop calls.

9. Focker macrumors member

You should at least try. My coworker dropped his i4 on the concrete and cracked the front of his screen. I told him to go to the apple store by our work, be polite, and honest about what happened, and they replaced it for free.

10. Applejuiced, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's the front that has the crack.

That's the best advice.
    Be honest, polite and dont try to bs them. You might get someone nice but it's not for sure they will do it for free.

11. Turkeywrap macrumors regular

Aside from the pointless comments, you might be able to get a nice Genius and he'll give you a one time replacement for any problem.

12. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

Personally if I had damaged a product I wouldn't even think of asking, much less expect the manufacturer to replace it.

If you opened the box and it was damaged or in some way faulty, that is a completely different matter.

13. HPLouis macrumors regular

Your best bet is to try to find a sympathetic Apple Genius that might swap it out for you. Who knows, you might find one that's having a great day or is very helpful.

Another tactic might work but only if you live in a cold climate. You could try to say that you came in from a cold climate to a warm climate indoors and you suddenly 'discovered' that crack and you suspect that the weather might have caused it. It's a long shot though.

14. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Not trying to be an ass but why should apple replace an item you broke?

15. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

If you're nice to the genius and actually tell them what happened sometimes they'll be nice and replace it, otherwise it will be a small cost.

OR

complain of a poor battery, my buddy did that with a 3g with a huge crack in the screen and got it replaced for free.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah ok, say something genius like that and you're definitely not getting a replacement for free:D

17. SL4VE macrumors 6502

this one may require a low cut top when visiting the geeks sorry genius

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

This seems to be "today's" mindset: What can I do to get something for free? MAN UP and take responsibility for you actions. It may cost you a little money but you soon will start to have respect for yourself!:eek:

19. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

This !!!! :)
    Golden Advice!!!!

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Judging from the pic and the reflection of the fingernails, I'm guessing the OP is a girl. Just sayin'.

21. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Oops! the reflection confused me :)

TS You could try and go and see if it's covered by the warranty, if anything they could just say no...

23. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

I'd say just go and try your luck. I went to exchange my phone 3 times and they were very pleasant. Except the last time I went, the guy was pulling out all the stops to try to talk me out of it until he finally found something to exchange it for, but it was worth it since he gave me a brand new one. Ya never know. It's worth a shot. Just be honest and respectful. I went in and said " not trying to be a pain in the ass or anything, I'm sure you guys see a bunch of people in here every day," and he's like "you can come in every day of the week and say theres something wrong with the phone, and we'll exchange it as long as you are the way you are now, all calm and relaxed" haha :)

24. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Amen. The sense of entitlement some people have blows me away.