IPhone 4 Sold on Ebay, Please help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gjmccag, Jun 23, 2010.

1. gjmccag macrumors newbie

I sold my Iphone 4 on Ebay, will keep the 3G for another two years. It was shipped from Apple to my doorstep. Is there anything I need to do to safely sell it or is it good to go in the box?

Just don't want to find out my phone number is being used by the buyer :confused:

Thanks for your help.

2. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

remove the sim?

3. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

send me the link to your auction, let me take a look how you posted it

4. gjmccag thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, wasn't sure if I needed to since "itunes activates it"

5. gjmccag thread starter macrumors newbie

here is what i wrote along with the standard description:

Preorder Completed per the Apple Website, Will be delivered overnight as soon as it arrives (June 24 to be delivered per Apple)! Get this phone without a contract!

This is for the AT&T Network to be delivered anywhere in the continental US via USPS priority mail & delivery confirmation for $10. Payment required within 24 hours of auction ending to paypal verified address only. Thanks for bidding, this will be the new standard for smart phones

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On Jun-15-10 at 17:28:54 PDT, seller added the following information:
    Item will be shipped USPS Priority the day it arrives.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On Jun-15-10 at 18:34:11 PDT, seller added the following information:
    Also no buyers with zero feedback history

Any Ideas?

6. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

you have not mentioned anywhere FACTORY SEALED or any thing , so you should be good even if you open it to check and put it back , there is nothing the buyer can do as they wont have your Social security to do any thing with AT&T on your account so leaving sim inside might not even matter

one piece of advice ship it FEDEX OR UPS (dont ship USPS they are the worst with insurance ) and make sure you insure it for full value ($299+$400 for 32gb) not just for $299 Good luck!

7. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Out of curiousity, how much did you sell it for and which country is the buyer in?

8. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

if you are in USA , shipping to USA its going for $850 to $1000 depends on ur luck ...i think it might have gone for more but people in USA (with other carriers) are just waiting as Canada will get officially unlocked phone in July for $799/$899 no commitment!

9. omizzle macrumors regular

i see some going for over $1000...thats a lot of profit

10. gjmccag thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help ansabakhan, just to clarify, what do you mean by "so you should be good even if you open it to check and put it back"?

Had a buy it now for 850 and someone took that bait.

11. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

30%-40% times ebay auctions are not paid or won by some one trying to scam you ... some are even going for $1750 (some one just posted their story) but you end up losing the sale, or some times every thing including your phone! trying to sell on ebay

12. dmx macrumors 6502

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the SIM is empty until you connect it to iTunes and activate it..

13. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

I'm in the process of getting scammed right now, my words of wisdom:

SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION
    CONFIRMED ADDRESS IF POSSIBLE
    DO NOT SHIP SOUTH EAST ASIA

14. gordian macrumors member

Just to be clear: If I decide to sell my iPhone 4 purchased at the upgrade price I am still free to purchase another one at the no-commitment price once they are available as such, correct?

15. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

sorry if i was not clear, what i meant was , you should be good even if you take the phone out of its box and put it back in just the way it was after checking it out.like every time i sell any thing online i would open a box to check and make sure its not broken from inside before it was shipped.

how many feedback does your buyer has?

16. 9aj9 macrumors newbie

this was my exact question also, so let me confirm,
    if i sell the phone, i dont need to connect to itunes or activate the sim.
    i'll just pull the sim out, and leave all the protective plastic, etc on the phone.
    -i was just curious about having to activate it on itunes, cause i dont want to go through the hassel of activating then having to then remove and add my current 3gs back on my line. (pain in the butt)

17. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

tell us your story ,maybe you will get some help

18. gjmccag thread starter macrumors newbie

The feedback is 55 (100%) and coincidently lives about a half hour from me. Also a confirmed address. i am going to make sure to take pics, delivery confirmation, insurance, etc. But i am still a bit paranoid about the whole thing....

19. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

Apple Canada will be selling no commitment iphone 4 unlocked phone to any body walking into their story ready to pay the price. the wont ask you how and where you will be using it !

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

21. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

Excuse me, what about Countries in Africa? Europe? Rest of Asia? South America?

Scammers are everywhere. If you want to be the safest, ship it to a Paypal verified user who pays through Paypal within Continental USA ONLY.

22. gordian macrumors member

My question still stands because I live closer to Mexico rather than Canada.

23. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

you are ok ! .... ship it out to paypal confirmed address , leaving the sim inside wont hurt you ....

don't take pictures you wont need them ,and pictures don't proof any thing , you can take pictures and break the phone right away and ship it ...

you have a good buyer, you should be ok !

24. ekk20 macrumors member

Excuse my ignorance but as long as you clear the funds first then it's safe to ship anywhere?

Or does ebay make you ship and provide tracking first in order to clear funds?

25. aristobrat macrumors G4

It is not safe to ship anywhere if the buyer paid with PayPal, which most do.

If you ship it to an address that isn't "confirmed" by PayPal, and the buyer says "hey, I never got your package", PayPal can remove the money from your account checking account, even though it had already cleared.

Only ship to confirmed PayPal addresses! Even then, there are ways the buyer can make your life miserable, like saying you shipped a defective item. PayPal almost always sides with the buyer.