iPhone 4 speed test: AT&T vs. Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JD914, Feb 3, 2011.

1. JD914, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. JD914 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD914

AT&T service is pretty bad everywhere so where are they supposed to do a "fair" test? :rolleyes:

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Please don't feed the AT&T trolls :)

5. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Actually here in LA it is great, and sitting next to a coworker this mornign with a Verizon Droid Global, he had 1.2mbs down, while I had 3.2mbs down. so go figure, guess in my test, Verizon sucks, no?? see what I am saying. Besides, bro, everyone know AT&T is faster, its one of the few positives for them....just deal check engadget front page, they have an awesome speed test right there, at&t doubles Vzw

I'm no fan of any cell company, just trying to kill the bait

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I disagree. When I lived in Huntington beach it was great. It sucked balls in Aliso Viejo and terrible for me around parts of Raleigh.

7. Brigrat macrumors member

Here in Baton Rouge, Verizon is terrible and AT&T is great...in SE New Mexico, Verizon is roaming all the time and AT&T has spotty but fast service. In Northern California (real north, not central like SF), verizon service is great and AT&T sucks...

my point is, the quality of service is completely dependent on where you are....

8. JD914 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JD914

I'm an AT&T customer and it's either hit or miss at best. There are places in NYC that there is virtually no data service and upstate NY that has excellent service.

The problem is that AT&T service isn't consistent, you'll have people saying it completely sucks or is great.

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

How about Philly? I tested my AT&T iPhone and my friends Verizon Droid X 10 different times and 10 different locations in Philly.

I only screenshot my AT&T fastest speed and took a pic of his Verizon fastest speed. I'll post both.

AT&T is noticeably faster and just as reliable in the 10 times/10 different locations.

10. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

Of course the test is subjective.

The reason I see this as a win for Verizon is because in dense areas such as NYC and San Francisco (especially NYC) people have great signal, and miserable to no data connection.

AT&T is faster no question, but it's how often it can actually make that data connection and keep it open. So sure, if you have AT&T you could technically burst above 3mbit/s, but what does that matter if the connection never holds. The Verizon connection is constant, and rarely drops.

If you live in an area with great AT&T service, then you are lucky and great for AT&T, this doesn't affect you. The point is, why choose a network that works where you live but is known not to work in major cities?

11. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

That's not true. It's pretty good in DC, except for the underground Metro. It's also pretty good in Brooklyn... Manhattan is iffy in some areas.

Bottom line? A network’s coverage, performance and reliability vary greatly depending on region.

12. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Also, the Engadget review/comparison is the most fair and unbiased I've seen yet...

13. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

this......

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Then no carrier is consistent according to your statement. I guess people have a landline attitude about cellular service and expect it to work for millions without any issues.

I personally had more problems with Verizon being spotty than ATT thru out the 5 Boros of NY and Tri-State. And when it rains hard enough, Verizon never fails to drop out. As far a speed goes, I don't notice a differ between the two unless I do a speed test. ATT has always won the speed test.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Are you serious, delusional or just spouting Verizon fed BS? Try going to other places.

Ok, here a good one. New Orleans. A friend on Verizon could barely get a call through or be heard without the usual static. Your point?

16. mpossoff macrumors 68020

An AT&T tech told me by Feb 1st 3G will be fixed and customers should be getting excellent 3G service in NYC. Is this the case?

17. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

Speed test .. you can't go by this it is generally speakin. Everyone will have different results in different places. Here in the bay area San Jose to San Francisco my verizon data speed has been good on the android never let me down when I needed it. If I want high speed I use my cable cpu at home. Can't wait to get the iphone and see how it compares to the android speed wise I will be running some test once it arrives i speculate it will be roughly the same speed.

18. jacollins macrumors 6502a

You misheard him. He said Feb 10, not Feb 1. :p