Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Here we are a month after the initial release of the iPhone 4 and I still can't walk into my local Apple or AT&T store and buy one. They are constantly out of stock! What the heck is going on?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Have it from a trusted source that use to work with Apple that the reason for the 2-3 week shipping times from Apple is what he calls "iPhone 4.5".... he nows that I am poised to buy one... but told me to wait.

In the past his hints or warnings have been spot on... so I trust him...

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Have it from a trusted source that use to work with Apple that the reason for the 2-3 week shipping times from Apple is what he calls "iPhone 4.5".... he nows that I am poised to buy one... but told me to wait.

Did he tell you how long to wait?

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
Here we are a month after the initial release of the iPhone 4 and I still can't walk into my local Apple or AT&T store and buy one. They are constantly out of stock! What the heck is going on?

Same problem here, been trying to buy one for the past 2 weeks and they are always two weeks behind, need to make a reservation, etc. Something is up in the USA considering the launch that is occurring everywhere else soon.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I still don't regret waiting in line seven hours on launch.

It looks like your only options are to keep trying stores everyday or give up and order online and wait 1-2 weeks.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit

Hmmm another trusted unnamed source :rolleyes: don't ya think everybody. No long how long they had there iPhone 4 will scream I want version 4.5

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha

I'd love to know what would be done about all the people that already had a 4 if this were true. I can't even imagine the reaction if this happened and there was anything less than an option to trade the 4 for the 4.5.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I'd love to know what would be done about all the people that already had a 4 if this were true. I can't even imagine the reaction if this happened and there was anything less than an option to trade the 4 for the 4.5.

This is exactly why there will be no iPhone 4.5. This would cost Apple more money than giving away free cases to all 4 purchasers. Every 4 owner would demand a 4.5.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Agreed. Here in Boston, it seems to be even worse than average.

Recently was in an AT&T store and overheard a sales rep tell a customer that it would be a 2 week wait to order a 16gb iPhone 4, to which the customer said, "Forget it, just give me a 3GS..."

Schweitzer

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
This is exactly why there will be no iPhone 4.5. This would cost Apple more money than giving away free cases to all 4 purchasers. Every 4 owner would demand a 4.5.

Why? How many 3GS owners "demand" an Iphone 4?

And besides: as we all know "there is no antenna issue". :D

Hing

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008

Go put ur name on the apple store piority list. I put my name in two days ago and got my iPhone 4 today

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
demand > supply
Even after a month of being on the market and all the recent bad press?

And if I wanted to put my name on a store's order list, then I might as well just order it directly from Apple. Neither of which I want to do, I want to be able to walk in the store and get it right then and there. Since I can't do that, then it looks like I'm keeping my iPhone 3G a while longer.

Schweitzer

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2010
I'm talking about current iPhone 4 owners.

Look at all the complainers here in this forum alone. You think it's bad now...

Well, of course it's all speculation but current iPhone 4 owners would not be entitled to get a free 4.5, just like they are not entitled to get a free iPhone 5.

Maybe current iPhone 4 owners would get an updated free antennagate song via iTunes:
"If you bought one and you didn't like it - you should have brought it ba-ha-ack"

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010

that would be great, but highly unlikely.

OP I would get on a few priority lists and also call around to your local Best Buy, Radioshack, and even walmart perhaps if you want on ebad enough you just may be able to track one down.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
Well, of course it's all speculation but current iPhone 4 owners would not be entitled to get a free 4.5, just like they are not entitled to get a free iPhone 5.

Maybe current iPhone 4 owners would get an updated free antennagate song via iTunes:
"If you bought one and you didn't like it - you should have brought it ba-ha-ack"

The problem with this idea is that if they do a 4.5 it will be admitting that there is in fact a problem worth fixing before the next revision. This would mean our iphone 4's are defective and should be upgraded to the 4.5.

I doubt there will be a revision until next year like normal, but if they do a mid year it is not going to be pretty.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
It depends on where you look. If you are absolutely set on getting one, you can probably receive one within 1 to 2 weeks from any of the online outlets, or by reservation at the Apple Store. Just because the estimation time says 3 weeks doesn't mean it actually takes 3 weeks.

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I still don't regret waiting in line seven hours on launch.

It looks like your only options are to keep trying stores everyday or give up and order online and wait 1-2 weeks.

+1... launch was lots of fun... free case, screen protector, donuts, coffee, good people in line... will do it again next year, inshallah

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

+1 Then see if everyone is happy on Sept 30th. Internal changes to antenna isolation.

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
I feel lucky/blessed.

Waited all this time for the White model only to see "Later this year". . . Needless to say

Walked into a Best Buy this afternoon and got a 32GB Black Model (Didn't have a choice) love it so far and I ordered my Black bumper. Even though it seems I wont need it.

And I live in NYC so this is shocking to me. Demand here is ridiculous.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I feel lucky/blessed.

Waited all this time for the White model only to see "Later this year". . . Needless to say

Walked into a Best Buy this afternoon and got a 32GB Black Model (Didn't have a choice)

Exact same thing happened to me. I probably ended up with the last available walk in iphone within a 100 mile radius and I just went on a whim once I heard about the white not coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.