iPhone 4 survives fall out of rollercoaster!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cloudberrybrew, Jul 1, 2010.

1. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

The other day while at Six Flags in Atlanta (them park for those of you who don't know it), a group of my friends and I were having a blast...

We waited in line for the Superman ride and eventually when we were boarding my friend looked at me and said:

"Dude, what do I do with my phone?" To which I replied..

"You brought your iPhone 4??!" (I, and others in our group, had all left our iPhone 4s at home)

"Yeah, I'll just put it in this pocket *slides in pocket*, it should be fine"

"I suppose" I replied

Needless to say we were all more than thrilled after an hour of waiting, so I wasn't very concerned that my friend was an idiot, and figured he'd hold on to his pocket with his dear life while we rode the ride. [​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------

Halfway through the ride, a person in front of me had change fly out of their pocket and almost hit me the face, at which point I realized, my less-than-average-IQ friend, had more than likely had the phone slip out of his pocket while he held his hands in the air pretending to be Superman.

Yep, it was gone. While getting off the ride it looked as though my friend had just seen a ghost (forgive my terrible examples). The phone had fallen out somewhere randomly and we had no idea where it was.

Skipping a couple of hours...

Our group is driving home and one of our friends said, "Hey Alex, I'll call your phone and see if it was found my anyone."

(Trying to hurry the story up). He called, it rang, a woman picked up and said that the phone had nearly destroyed a group of people walking on a sidewalk in the theme park as the ride came screeching by, but she informed us that the phone had a bunch of scratches on the back, and a chip in the glass in a corner, but overall was in working condition (and she had even managed to play with it since my friend didn't have a passcode).

So...the phone survived a pretty epic fall, with only cosmetic issues (or so we were told). My friend has arranged to meet the woman soon, who happens to live not to far from us and get the phone back and pay her $25 bucks for keeping it. (She isn't interested in stealing the phone, she said her own phone is fine)

If the woman holds true to her word and doesn't take the phone, I'll try and post pictures of the phone whenever my friend gets it back...

[​IMG]

2. big0mar macrumors regular

3. chembox macrumors 6502a

Wow, good thing to know it didn't hurt anyone and withstood such an intense fall!

I'm dying to see pics now...

4. cloudberrybrew thread starter macrumors regular

I can say I surprised the phone was in working order as well, we'll see what it looks like and I'll post pictures when he gets it.

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Wow, so I guess the iPhone 4 HAS almost killed someone, after all. :)

6. cloudberrybrew thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG] About took the woman's head off! Damn that would've hurt.

7. Aero26 macrumors regular

See, there are still good people in the world. lol. I'm not sure how a fall of the cupboard in the kitchens are doing more damage than a speeding hell drop off the Superman.

8. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I smell another lawsuit...

9. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

It’s a shame you weren’t recording vid at the time, the fall would have looked awesome.

10. cloudberrybrew thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking the same thing, had he been recording the roller coaster like you usually see people do these days, the video proof would have been amazing :eek:

11. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

did it fix the antenna issue? no? JOG ON haha

12. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Maybe it's my lack of faith in people showing, but that sounds strange. If she wasn't interested in taking the phone, why did she take it home? A person not actually intent on keeping the device would have turned it in to the park's Lost & Found...

Glad to hear he's getting it back. I'm interested to see what it looks like after all that.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

If you don't mind saying, why did most leave theirs at home?

14. tlbwriter macrumors regular

Eh. A good person would have turned it in to lost & found instead of pocketing it and seeing if anyone tried to claim it.

15. cloudberrybrew thread starter macrumors regular

Because we've only had the iPhone 4s since the 23rd, and we didn't feel like being in the same situation as our friend, caught on a rollercoaster with your precious new baby.

Its just the fact that we didn't want to deal with having them so vulnerable, we wanted to enjoy the day.

16. cloudberrybrew thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, but the woman sounded elderly, if that changes anything (IE laziness of turning it in).

And to clarify, when we called the phone, SHE was still at the park, so we can assume that she may have turned it in, but when we called she saw a direct way of giving it back to the owner.

17. cloudberrybrew thread starter macrumors regular

If you had read ANY of the original post, or any comments after, you would have read that my friend has yet to receive the phone, and upon receiving it I will take pictures of its damage.

18. cloudberrybrew thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone else have some miracle story of their iPhone 4s fall?

19. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

That's amazing. That gets me thinking that the drop test the iFixit did must have been from it falling a certain way then. But this is why I always wear shorts with a zipper pocket to theme parks.

Not everyone would do that immediately. If I would've found it the first thing I would've done is look in the contacts to find one that says Home or Mom or something like that.

20. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

But! But! Gizmodo says it breaks when dropped 1 foot!!!! This story can't be true!

21. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

22. cloudberrybrew thread starter macrumors regular

Read the original post, my friend has yet to receive his phone from the woman, and when he gets it, I'll post pictures.

23. cloudberrybrew thread starter macrumors regular

ok so he got his phone back yesterday, and there is seriously no pictures to post!

its in PERFECT condition, and it may be too hard to believe, but there is maybe one tiny scratch on the back that is unnoticeable...

60+ mph
    40+ ft. up
    falls out of pocket...

survives with almost NO cosmetic or hardware issues...

prophone
    :D:D:D

24. chembox macrumors 6502a

Did you take any pictures?