* iPhone 4 touch screen grounding issues?!?! *

mikemanblah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
To anyone that asked, i tried many outlets. I really hate this, is there anything i can do?

tokiidokii

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
have you tried using a different cord and or charger base? i've never plugged my phone to the outlet... well i've always charged my iphones through my laptop though.

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
What happens when charging via usb on a pc/mac or similar?
I'd definately take the phone back to Apple as mine doesn't do this. I often lay in bed with mine attached to the wall charger and have no issues at all.

I was expecting to see sparks flying and possible 3rd degree burns when you mentioned a grounding issue :p

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Since when does the charging screen zoom in on a double-tap?

Maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard of nor seen this before.

Also, yes, that is not an Apple USB cable so who knows what kind of knockoff wiring you're dealing with there.

mikemanblah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
have you tried using a different cord and or charger base? i've never plugged my phone to the outlet... well i've always charged my iphones through my laptop though.
I'll try my ipad charger in a second to see if it happens
What happens when charging via usb on a pc/mac or similar?
I'd definately take the phone back to Apple as mine doesn't do this. I often lay in bed with mine attached to the wall charger and have no issues at all.

I was expecting to see sparks flying and possible 3rd degree burns when you mentioned a grounding issue :p
I've tested this on 2 phone
That's because it's a faulty 3rd party cable.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...over-knock-off-ipod-and-ipad-accessories.html

This was a few days ago.
Its not a third party cable its just i wrote on it with black marker so me and my brother wouldn't get them confused
Since when does the charging screen zoom in on a double-tap?

Maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard of nor seen this before.

Also, yes, that is not an Apple USB cable so who knows what kind of knockoff wiring you're dealing with there.
It doesn't zoom in? I triple tapped

EDIT: Oh i see what part your talking about, it was because of the screen going back assward

mikemanblah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Confirmed it does this on two iphone 4's in 2 separate outlets. It sucks because i can't use it while plugged in without taking bumper off

someone use the 2 prong iphone thing and only touch the screen.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
I only use 2 prong all the time, I'm in Japan. Japan doesn't have a ground on their plugs.

Take it back to Apple, your stuff is hosed cause I use mine plugged in all the time with cases on and only touching the screen.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
...and we already told you it's a problem in your cable or your house wiring or something like that.

Sorry, but this would be an obvious enough problem that I'm sure more then just you would have found it by now.

To be completely honest, I'm suspicious of your claims in the first place because lock screens do not act like what is seen in your video.

mikemanblah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
...and we already told you it's a problem in your cable or your house wiring or something like that.

Sorry, but this would be an obvious enough problem that I'm sure more then just you would have found it by now.

To be completely honest, I'm suspicious of your claims in the first place because lock screens do not act like what is seen in your video.
im not lying about this, when its plugged in the screen goes ****ing insane when i touch it

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Then narrow down the possibilities.

Using 2 different iPhones eliminates the iPhone as a possibility.

Try a different cable....
Try a different USB to Socket adapter.....
Try a different wall socket....
Try a different house....

If after all of that you still have a problem, then you got me, no clue but I assure you this is not a standard problem with the iPhone 4.

gizmo8500

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2005
Mine is doing this too

Mine does! As of 1 hour ago my iPhone 4 has started this same exact thing, however mine will do it when plugged into USB on my MacBook Pro. Its like the digitizer gets all screwed up. I will click on one place on the screen and it acts like I am clicking all over the screen. As soon as I un-plug it from my computer it works perfect. I will experiment with different cables, but I am using my newest cable right now which shouldn't have an issue.

Chetoc230

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2010
i have the same issue when plugged in. it only happens after about 5-10 min of being plugged in. makes it seem like the digitizer is going crazy.

unplugged it and it works fine.

mikemanblah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2009
Great that i'm not going insane. Its definitely not a hardware defect in the phone because i've tried it with 3 phones

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
This happens to me if I use an AC adapter in my car and plug the USB wall plug and cable that came with the iPhone. I got a third party car charger to use instead and that works perfectly.

Dawnn

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2008
MI
My touchscreen is defective too when plugged into the wall using the cable that came with it an a genuine Apple wall plug. The scrolling looks really jumpy and if you stop and hold it while scrolling say, in email; it will randomly send emails to trash, open the edit to delete function, or open emails. Sometimes in games it won't recognize touches at all, and the facebook app becomes useless when the phone is plugged in to the wall. Haven't tested with my MBP, frankly I'm afraid to. But this has happened at my house, the hospital where I work, and at a 4 star hotel/resort. I have the new Verizon iPhone 4.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Yeah, I'm experiencing this too when my iPhone 4 is plugged in with the original usb cable and I test it by pinching and zooming in any app. It gets all jittery and jumps all over the place. Doesn't happen if I unplug it. Seems my iPhone has (yet another) physical flaw. I could be disappointed right now but I've just come to accept that Apple "quality" is subpar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.