* iPhone 4 touch screen grounding issues?!?! *

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikemanblah, Aug 3, 2010.

1. mikemanblah macrumors regular

Look what problem i have with my iPhone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM48xU94BeI

It only does this when plugged into the wall and works on the 2 iphones i tested

I can upload another video showing how it does the same thing with another iphone as well if you want it

2. mikemanblah thread starter macrumors regular

To anyone that asked, i tried many outlets. I really hate this, is there anything i can do?

3. tokiidokii macrumors regular

have you tried using a different cord and or charger base? i've never plugged my phone to the outlet... well i've always charged my iphones through my laptop though.

4. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

What happens when charging via usb on a pc/mac or similar?
    I'd definately take the phone back to Apple as mine doesn't do this. I often lay in bed with mine attached to the wall charger and have no issues at all.

I was expecting to see sparks flying and possible 3rd degree burns when you mentioned a grounding issue :p

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I would just get Apple to replace it.

Or you have faulty wiring in the house?

6. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

7. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Since when does the charging screen zoom in on a double-tap?

Maybe I'm wrong but I've never heard of nor seen this before.

Also, yes, that is not an Apple USB cable so who knows what kind of knockoff wiring you're dealing with there.

8. mikemanblah thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try my ipad charger in a second to see if it happens
    I've tested this on 2 phone
    Its not a third party cable its just i wrote on it with black marker so me and my brother wouldn't get them confused
    It doesn't zoom in? I triple tapped

EDIT: Oh i see what part your talking about, it was because of the screen going back assward

9. mikemanblah thread starter macrumors regular

Confirmed it does this on two iphone 4's in 2 separate outlets. It sucks because i can't use it while plugged in without taking bumper off

someone use the 2 prong iphone thing and only touch the screen.

10. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I only use 2 prong all the time, I'm in Japan. Japan doesn't have a ground on their plugs.

Take it back to Apple, your stuff is hosed cause I use mine plugged in all the time with cases on and only touching the screen.

11. mikemanblah thread starter macrumors regular

12. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

...and we already told you it's a problem in your cable or your house wiring or something like that.

Sorry, but this would be an obvious enough problem that I'm sure more then just you would have found it by now.

To be completely honest, I'm suspicious of your claims in the first place because lock screens do not act like what is seen in your video.

13. mikemanblah thread starter macrumors regular

im not lying about this, when its plugged in the screen goes ****ing insane when i touch it

14. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Then narrow down the possibilities.

Using 2 different iPhones eliminates the iPhone as a possibility.

Try a different cable....
    Try a different USB to Socket adapter.....
    Try a different wall socket....
    Try a different house....

If after all of that you still have a problem, then you got me, no clue but I assure you this is not a standard problem with the iPhone 4.

15. mikemanblah thread starter macrumors regular

16. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

my phone is almost always plugged in at work and i never had a problem

17. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

...oh, and try plugging into USB instead of a wall socket.

18. mikemanblah thread starter macrumors regular

19. gizmo8500 macrumors newbie

Mine is doing this too

Mine does! As of 1 hour ago my iPhone 4 has started this same exact thing, however mine will do it when plugged into USB on my MacBook Pro. Its like the digitizer gets all screwed up. I will click on one place on the screen and it acts like I am clicking all over the screen. As soon as I un-plug it from my computer it works perfect. I will experiment with different cables, but I am using my newest cable right now which shouldn't have an issue.

20. Chetoc230 macrumors member

i have the same issue when plugged in. it only happens after about 5-10 min of being plugged in. makes it seem like the digitizer is going crazy.

unplugged it and it works fine.

21. mikemanblah thread starter macrumors regular

Great that i'm not going insane. Its definitely not a hardware defect in the phone because i've tried it with 3 phones

22. ultravioletfly macrumors regular

I can make this happen on my 3GS and iPod touch as well.

23. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

This happens to me if I use an AC adapter in my car and plug the USB wall plug and cable that came with the iPhone. I got a third party car charger to use instead and that works perfectly.

24. Dawnn macrumors newbie

My touchscreen is defective too when plugged into the wall using the cable that came with it an a genuine Apple wall plug. The scrolling looks really jumpy and if you stop and hold it while scrolling say, in email; it will randomly send emails to trash, open the edit to delete function, or open emails. Sometimes in games it won't recognize touches at all, and the facebook app becomes useless when the phone is plugged in to the wall. Haven't tested with my MBP, frankly I'm afraid to. But this has happened at my house, the hospital where I work, and at a 4 star hotel/resort. I have the new Verizon iPhone 4.

25. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'm experiencing this too when my iPhone 4 is plugged in with the original usb cable and I test it by pinching and zooming in any app. It gets all jittery and jumps all over the place. Doesn't happen if I unplug it. Seems my iPhone has (yet another) physical flaw. I could be disappointed right now but I've just come to accept that Apple "quality" is subpar.