iPhone 4 - Unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by solid0mike, Feb 22, 2011.

1. solid0mike macrumors newbie

Hey! I just wanted to confirm that the iPhone data trick is still in effect. I did it today with my iPhone 4 using the iPhone 2G (4GB). This worked for my cousins 3GS as well.

Woohhhh!! I almost had a tear when I saw unlimited data on my olam. :D

Good Luck!

2. Gomez315 macrumors member

How long have you had unlimited for? I have heard of AT&T switching people that do this back to the 2GB plan. I want to get unlimited, and I am not sure wether to get AT&T or verizon, but I would rather have AT&T.

3. drummr, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2011

drummr macrumors regular

"I did it today with my iPhone 4 using the iPhone 2G (4GB)"

I heard that they can't really fix the trick because its meant to be that way and they'd have to limit the 2g's data and remove the unlimited option. Someone in another thread talked to someone at AT&T and it was confirmed that you are grandfathered in and it can't be removed.

4. Gomez315, Feb 23, 2011

Gomez315 macrumors member

It's a go. I'm going to get AT&T, and try this.

5. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I did one last year using the 2G method and one a few days ago. Both are still running fine on unlimited data.

6. wolfgang2112, Feb 23, 2011

wolfgang2112 macrumors newbie

couldn't they still just go into your OLAM....select the 2gb plan for you? It states on your OLAM that if you downgrade from an unlimited plan you CANT get it back. Of course you could just do the 2g trick again after that.

7. solid0mike thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what I basically did.
    My brother sent me his original iPhone 2G (4GB), received it in the mail. I first tried it on my cousins 3GS since I don't have to cut any sim cards. I swapped out the sim of the 3GS and popped it into the 2G. I restored it via itunes, and then it came up as a new activation through iTunes. I did the steps with the unlimited data+200txt. The activation finished and ATT OLAM to show up on my cousins account as Unlimited 2G data. I then popped the sim card out and put it back into the 3GS. Took about 15min for it to received a text saying it will be placed into the "correct" data plan. After that I checked OLAM and it had the unlimited 3G data. WIN! :D

My i4 was a bit tricky. I took out my micro sim, and taped it into 2G tray. I activated it through itunes, with the unlimited data+200 text. it finished and my 2G was functional. I then checked my OLAM and nothing it still showed up as 2GB Pro Data. I waited an hour with the micro sim inside the 2G. and still nothing OLAM showed up as 2GB Pro Data. So I searched macrumors for other solutions and found that maybe a new sim will work. So I did that.

Went to my local ATT and told them my i4 got wet and I sent it for repairs so I needed a sim for my 2G, I even showed it to them. They said no prob, and gave me a regular sim. Went home, popped it into 2G and went through the activation again. Finished and nothing my 2G said no service for about 1hr. I became impatient and called ATT telling them my iphone 4 was wet and it broke and I wanted to activate my 2G with a new sim that I had gotten. Told them about the no service up on the status bar. Basically I was on hold for about 30min, I gave them the IMEI and ICD number, and they gave me unlimited data again. It was a bit funny because the CSR knew what I was doing and she kind of laughed saying she's read about it on the internet. I just said nope I need it because the i4 broke lol :p

So my 2G received service again, and told me if I "buy" an i4 to call instead of activating it on my own or taking it to a local ATT. So I waited for 1hr just because and called back saying I bought an i4 and wanted to activate it, they suggested I go get a new microsim, so I did. Called back, same thing put me on hold for about 5 min and told me I was grandfathered into the 3G Unlimited for my i4. so yep :DDDDD AWESOME

Both CSR were incredibly nice to me, ATT CSR's in my experience are a lot helpful and nicer to me than the local ATT reps.

Anyways, good luck to whoever wants to try the data trick. The CSR told me ATT won't remove my unlimited data so yep, and if they did I'll just call back and nag at them ;P
    I know this is more of a "cool story bro" thread but I just wanted to explain my method, and that the trick is still in effect.

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Hi. I may be a bit off topic, but hoping to get help here without having to start a new thread.

I have had an unlimited data plan since I first bought a first-generation iPhone in 2007. I just confirmed a few minutes ago that I still have unlimited data, and I do. I now use the iPhone 4.

So, here's my question:

Without jailbreaking/unlocking my iPhone 4, can I use my iPhone 4's unlimited data to create a wireless hotspot (or is it called tethering? I don't know)? Put another way, can I use my iPhone 4's unlimited data to give internet access to my laptop or iPad (when I get one eventually)?

Thank you very much if you can help me with that question.

9. solid0mike thread starter macrumors newbie

Well 4.3 is in Beta, and according to the macrumors articles, it will have a app for hotspot.

10. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

When I get the iP5 I'm going to definitely try this.

11. at&t iphone macrumors newbie

Unfortunately the wifi hotspot data plans at&t currently offers only applies to the Data Pro plan which is $25/2GB + $20/2GB for tethering/hotspot capability= $45 with a total of 4GB to use between your phone and any other devices.

They do not currently offer a tethering/hotspot plan on top of the $30 unlimited plan and if they did it would not give you unlimited tethering/hotspot usage. They would probably do what verizon did and have a $20/2GB add on. I haven't tried it but maybe if you call they can offer it to you or at least if they don't maybe enough requests will push them towards offering it.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, like said above you wont be able to keep the unlimited data and have the official tethering plan also.
    You can JB it though and get tethering for free.

13. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

I just done this last night. Had to call cs and was on the phone for over an hour. In the end I had to use a different sim to activate the 2g and when the plan said unlimited data for iPhone w/200 messages I put my iPhone 4 sim back in and this morning got a text from AT&T saying my phone needs a data plan and they put the appropriate plan on.

How long will it take to show in OLAM that I have the $30 plan. As it is I cannot send mms, is that because the 2g plan is still in effect?

14. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

It would not show up on OLAM for me even though I got the text and email saying I was switched to the appropriate plan. I called c/s and gave them my iP4 IMEI number.

15. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I did that and the plan is now the $30 but I'm still not able to mms. Any suggestions?

16. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

17. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Have you tried resetting the network settings? I've also heard deleting your sms package and re-adding it works. Otherwise, call c/s and play dumb.

18. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Deleting and re adding the messaging pack worked.

19. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Your PM box is full - can't reply to you.

20. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

yeah it messes up your MMS you have to call AT&T and they will reset it no questions asked

21. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Does activating 2g through iTunes renew 2 year contract?

22. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

No.

23. chineseboy macrumors newbie

Wow

I've never even heard of the iPhone data trick. There is still so much that I need to learn about iPhones!

24. ap3604 macrumors 68000

If I currently don't have a contract with Att and activate an old iPhone 2g:

- Is there a way I can activate the iPhone 2g without creating a 2 year contract (month-to-month instead) so that I can still get a 2 year contract price when I purchase the iPhone 5 in June AS WELL as having grandfathered unlimited data when I do finally buy the iPhone 5 in June?

:confused:

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, I wouldnt do it.
    Just get a sim on a month to month plan with no contract from AT&T.
    Then JB the iphone 2G and hactivate it and stick the sim in after and use it.
    This way you go around having to activate officially thru itunes, picking your plan and getting locked into an agreement.