iPhone 4 Unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by slipper, Jul 18, 2010.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

I apologize if this has been posted before... but is the iPhone 4 currently unlockable? OS 4.0 Baseband 01.59.00. Im traveling out of country in a couple weeks and an unlock would be very helpful.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It is, but the unlock hasn't been released. Also, it doesn't matter if it's unlocked, there is no jailbreak yet.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, like Jav said above.
    Unlock or JB havent been released yet.
    Its comming soon though we hope.

4. cdebnil macrumors regular

Anyone know if AT&T/Apple loses their class action lawsuit and are ordered by courts to unlock all Iphone's sold in the U.S. if they have a legal way of unlocking it (subsidy code etc)?

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That suit will get dismissed. Don't even expect it to go thru.

6. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It would be nice but I dont think its happening.

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

not a chance.

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Don't be so confident about that. Why do you think the European carriers unlock their phones. Do you think it is because they want to, it is because of legal challenges.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its because the law is forcing them to.
    Our country is not doing squat and not putting any pressure on wireless providers to unlock headsets at all. Its up to the company if they want or feel like providing an unlock to you for the cellphone that you bought and paid in full or fullfilled your contract on.
    If they did we would all have unlocked devices and wouldnt need class action suits like this.
    But instead they tell you sorry its an AT&T phone and we cannot unlock it.
    Its not an AT&T phone, its my phone and I paid full price for it with no contract. Anyway, makes no sense:)

11. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

EU anti-monopoly laws are drastically different than American ones. We have a free trade capitalist system, and any government interference in the U.S in this matter without support by the Supreme Court would be unconstitutional. So comparing a situation in the EU to the U.S would essentially be pointless.

12. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Free trade with monopoly doesnt seem so free to me. Its ridicilous that Apple and At&t are allowed to keep this up. I tell you, had they tried this in France, they wouldnt have sold a single phone.

13. kuaiyouming, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  14. kuaiyouming, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  15. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Sorry but it's got nothing to do with anti-monopoly laws, free trade or capitalism.

In Europe they have countries smaller then US counties and countries closer together then US states which means you get a LOT of international travel, combine that with different carriers in each country and you can see how people would have serious problems with carrier lock and high roaming charges while traveling.

Bottom-line is there really is almost no demand in America for carrier unlock (with the exception of the iPhone for a small sect of Tmo users) because of life-style differences. If there was then you would see carrier unlock for all almost as fast as we got free bumpers.

16. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Demand or not, when you pay full price for the phone, you owe At&t nothing. Apples policy on keeping those phones locked might have been tolerated in old Sovjet, but isn't something that should be allowed in the US. Land of the free and all.

17. lilrush macrumors member

I co-sign this 100%. I got an iphone 4 at full price and am tied to ATT which is completely unfair considering i purchased it at a so called "commitment free" price!

18. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Apple doesn't care what you think. I hope this lawsuit changes the law.

More than likely, it won't.

19. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

I might be wrong but I don't think AT&T provides unlock code for any phone. I don't think it's about Apple.

T-Mobile will give you the code after 90 days.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, you're wrong.
    They will provide unlock codes for every phone but the iphone.

21. mikeymoves macrumors member

In 2005, I had a Treo 650, purchased subsidized from AT&T and they gave me an unlock code within 30 days of my pestering phone calls.