iPhone 4 upgrade or wait for the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joebrown84, Mar 14, 2011.

  1. joebrown84 macrumors newbie


    Jul 14, 2010
    Norwich, UK
    I currently have an iPhone 3GS, 16GB, and my contract is due for renewal in a couple of months.

    I don't know whether to wait it our for the iPhone 5 release or go in for an iPhone 4, any thoughts?

    I don't think my 3GS is going to last a whole lot longer, it's getting bit clunky and a few black lines have started to appear along the bottom of the display, anyone else experienced this?
  2. youknome macrumors 6502


    Nov 22, 2010
    I'm in the exact position as you, I currently have a 3GS 16GB. I've decided to wait for the next-gen iPhone, it's only a few months away. Should be worth it.
  3. himni macrumors regular

    Sep 24, 2009
    I would without a doubt wait for June or July and get the iPhone 5 or whatever they call it. You're only 3-4 months from when the new one launches.
  4. 548827 macrumors member

    Mar 8, 2011
    I have a 4 which I upgraded to from a 3GS... Its great but I'd say wait and see what the 5 has to offer. Hope you enjoy whatever you choose. Thanks
  5. Giuly macrumors 68040


    We're in March, plus "a couple of month" equals May. The iPhone 5 is due in June/July.

    You really want to buy an iPhone 4 when the iPhone 5 rumors are going wild?
  6. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

    Jul 15, 2010
    Northeast Ohio
    Theres literally a thread asking this exact question every day. Every thread the majority says wait.

    .....waits patiently for tomorrows iPhone 4 or iPhone 5 thread......
  7. Voondebah macrumors member

    Mar 28, 2010
    Wait. If you don't you'll be happy for 3 months and then disappointed for 21.
  8. vincenz macrumors 601


    Oct 20, 2008
    Wait for it. It's only 2.5 months until the announcement. It's not too long in the grand scheme of things.
  9. b166er macrumors 68020


    Apr 17, 2010
    I was in a similar spot this time last year. Contract was up, my 3G was getting buggy and I wanted to upgrade. Almost bought a 3Gs, but I'm very glad I held out for the iPhone 4.

    Even if this summers offering is only a slight upgrade over the current iPhone 4, it will cost the same for you and you will have the newest version.

    I would wait. I'm extremely impatient and if I was able to do it, you can too!
  10. Reach9 macrumors 68020


    Aug 17, 2010
    In America
    You'll be done your contract in May.. then why would you want to buy an iPhone 4 when the iPhone 5 will be announced the next month?
    Just wait, and then you can get the iPhone 4 for a cheaper price as well.
  11. joebrown84 thread starter macrumors newbie


    Jul 14, 2010
    Norwich, UK
    Thanks for all of your replies. I will wait, even if it means putting up with what seems like an ancient 3GS for a little while longer!

    Just hope the UK release isn't too long after the US launch.
  12. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a


    Mar 7, 2008
    Upstate Central NY
    Got my 3Gs two years ago this coming July. I'm waiting and even then I might not upgrade and hold out another year and see what they got in mid-2012. Sure, the 3Gs is showing its age, but it's still working fine.

  13. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

    Jul 17, 2010
    I would wait to get the best bang for your buck. Why pay 199/299 now for a 9 month old phone? A new one will be here in 3 months. I paid 199 for it on release day. It'd be dumb for you to pay the same amount I did when it's a much older phone at this point. Just wait.
  14. wordoflife macrumors 604


    Jul 6, 2009
    Guessing by what you said, there'll be a new iPhone by the time your contract ends.
  15. Sedrick macrumors 68030


    Nov 10, 2010
    Same boat. Got my 32gig 3GS a month and a half before the iPhone 4 was announced, so I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade, but... will... wait....
  16. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a


    Sep 26, 2010
    Peterborough, Canada
    I've said it many times and I'll say it again. Wait. Too close to June to not wait.
  17. westw1 macrumors newbie

    Mar 28, 2011
    Great Yarmouth
    This all depends on price for me. The 4 may come down and be very good value for money. The 5 will be expensive if the last few iPhones are anything to go by.
  18. frunkis54 macrumors 65816


    Apr 2, 2009
    now that the next iphone is rumored to be fall instead of summer are you still wiating?
  19. Reach9 macrumors 68020


    Aug 17, 2010
    In America
    Still waiting
  20. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

    Jun 5, 2009
    theres no telling what to do with Apple....I know tons of people waiting on the 5 to come out in June/July, but theres nothing official on when it comes out.

    People are still waiting almost a year on the white iPhone 4
  21. McGiord macrumors 601


    Oct 5, 2003
    Dark Castle
    Live like today is your last day on earth. Buy it now!
    You can always unlock it and resell it, then get the new model.
    Do not wait. You will regret all these past months without your iPhone 4.
    HD camera with flash.
    Facetime, skype with front camera.
    Faster processor, more RAM for web browsing and other apps running.
    The Retina display.
    The current rumors are saying that iPhone 5 will be out in the fall...or even in January to support LTE.
  22. AmereckanPsycho macrumors member

    Mar 24, 2011
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I'll have my 3GS for 2 years in June or July. I'm extremely saddened by the news of the next iPhone not being released any sooner than September. I've been sick of my 3GS for over a year and I would have an iPhone 4 if it wasn't for the issues at its launch. My only option is to wait for the next iPhone, no matter how long it's going to take.
  23. alflavor macrumors regular

    Oct 31, 2010
    Whittlesey, UK
    Truth is no-one knows what's going to happen, Summer/Autumn or 2012 release!

    But I'd guess for Summer still.

    I personally would prefer this the best as I am too on a 3GS in UK, I am now eligible for early upgrade, contract ends middle of May.

    I am waiting for the 5, on a couple of points:

    UK operators will soon by bound to offer 12 month contracts, in fact O2 today have announced they'll offer iPhone on 12 months, rather than the usual 18 or 24.

    Sure, handsets will cost more, but it will enable you to upgrade as Apple do.

    My 3GS is still as-new, (apart from battery has been charged once a day since last Applecare swap last Aug) and I'd like to wait for the 5 and have that from day one, as I've never had an iphone from day one before, simple as!
  24. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

    Sep 23, 2007
    I really hope they bring it out in early Summer, I'm ready for a new one since my 3G (not even a 3GS!) from September 2008 is starting to get a bit tired. :p

Share This Page