iPhone 4 Users - Anyone getting "No SIM" message for no apparent reason?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dmk1974, Jul 5, 2010.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

I got my iPhone 4 on launch day and it's worked great for me so far. However, just today, I got a "No SIM" message 3 times. I haven't touched the SIM door and the phone has been in a iFrogz Luxe Lean case the whole time so there's no apparent movement at all.

The only thing that crossed my mind was that today does start my new billing cycle with AT&T. Is there any chance that they have some issue with my phone today since I had upgraded from a 3GS? It's a stretch, but I'm trying to figure this out. Makes no sense that it came up three times, but then after a while went away. Bigtime fail if I need the phone in an emergency or something.

Anyone else experience this with their iPhone 4? Thanks!

2. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

There have been other threads on this issue, your best bet is to search. Have you tried, removing the sim, re seating it and putting it back in?

3. Truz21 macrumors member

Yes! I get the same thing. The only reason I noticed is because I powered down to go on a flight... and upon arrival my iPhone said NO SIM INSTALLED. That was fun, arriving at a city I had never been to before without my phone working. I had to reset about 6 times and then play with the airplane mode switch... and after a bunch of toggles it finally recognized the sim.

Now this problem happens everytime I power down my phone. Soo annoying, I'll probably go to the local apple store. This really is a nuisance.

Anyone have any fixes for this?

4. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Follow this advice. It has worked for others.

5. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

My 3G has been doing this recently. I just pull it out and put it back in. Hasn't bothered me enough to find a permanent fix for it.

6. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Did you update to iOS4? It may be yet another software bug.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I got that message once on the first day while I was syncing my old iPhone's data with it. I took out the itty bitty SIM card and replaced it. That fixed everything. I have no idea who thought the SIM cards used by most phones were too large and needed a micro SIM, but he/she is very foolish.

8. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Mine has been bad lately. So I went to Apple today and they exchanged it no questions ask. They didnt even ask for proof. I didnt take screen shots for when it happened.

9. BuiltforSin macrumors regular

BuiltforSin

Yes, I have updated to iOS4.

10. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

If you never noticed this before the update, it would be safe to assume there are some software issues.

11. aajeev macrumors regular

12. Truz21 macrumors member

Just got back from the apple store, the genius thought the situation was rather odd. He tried resetting and what not, but then told me he was just going to replace the phone.

The order was placed for the phone since they don't have any in stock, I should be getting it tomorrow. I strongly suggest anyone with this problem to take it in and get a replacement. Hopefully my new one works fine.

One thing I did find weirdness on my order slip for the new phone, reason for replacement is marked as a "dead pixel issue", and mentions nothing of the sim card problem. Odd... Maybe it was quicker for him to get it replaced with that problem, rather then explaining what was actually wrong. Weird... But at least I'll have a replacement soon.

13. winterny macrumors 6502

I have this problem every time I reboot my iPhone 4, but I don't have the proximity sensor issue. Everyone else I know has the proximity sensor issue. For now, I'm just planning on not powering down my phone, as I'd prefer dealing with this to the sensor issue.

Re-seating it fixes it until the next reboot.

14. xxMACxx macrumors regular

Mine did this from day 1... Would do it 1 - 4 times a day. I finally made an appointment at the Apple store for Saturday and was out of the store in about 10 mins with a new phone. I offered to show the guy at the genius bar the pics I took of my screen every time it happened, but he said he believed me and swapped it out. No problems since then... and didn't have any other issues with the phone since I received it.

It's an awesome phone/device.
    Michael

15. loganwhy macrumors newbie

Did anyone else just get a "No SIM card" error?

I just got a really weird error. My iPhone 4 was sitting on my desk and all of a sudden it popped up with a little message bubble saying "No SIM card" and showed the same thing where the signal bars would be. I tried turning off my iPhone and then turning it back on but it remained the same. After about 4 minutes the signal came back and all is normal.

Did anyone else experience this?

If it is a network thing I live in Austin, TX for a point of reference.

Cheers.

16. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

It happened to me the first day I got the phone. Get yourself a new sim card from ATT.

17. a.jfred macrumors 6502

I have to wonder now if it's an Austin, TX issue - I live in Austin, received my phone 6/23, and since 7/4, I've been occasionally getting the "No SIM card installed" error. Turning it off for a few minutes, and turning it back on seems to fix the problem, but it's a little bit of a pain.

Did you ever find a solution to this, or did you end up going to AT&T for a new SIM card?

18. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I received the error the first night I had the phone. Just out of the blue it popped up. I pulled the SIM out and inserted. It worked for a couple minutes then did it again. The second time I wiped off the SIM and reinserted. That was about a week ago..no issues since.

19. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

I ended up having to switch the phone out completely. I tried a new sim card and it worked fine for a few hours, and then BAM "NO SIM" pops back up. I suggest exchanging it from where you got it from or at an apple store. :cool:

20. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

I had it happen tonight in Nashville, TN. I was holding the phone. It went to NO SIM. I simply did a hard reboot (reset) and all was fine. Very odd, though.

I've had my phone since 6/23 and this was the first it ever happened.

21. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Maybe theres a lotta dust in the air by you? Seems like it would happen if the SIM card is dirty

22. w3iiipu macrumors member

same thing happened to mine on the first day i got it...
    took it in to att and they swap it out for a new sim card.

apparently they uses a few different micro sim...and they guy said he alrdy handled 4-5 similar cases of "NO SIM" error and switching a new micro sim works fine.

Its been over a week since i took it in to made the switch and the issue never happen again.

23. boostmiser macrumors member

I got one the second day I had it but never since. I simply rebooted and it was fine.

24. N23 macrumors regular

I got it the second day of having it on launch day.
    Apple had to replace my phone completely.

25. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

I switched phones and it's bee fine now for 4 days.