iPhone 4 using a TON of data!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eddiejsmall, Mar 11, 2011.

1. eddiejsmall macrumors member

So I just noticed that my new iPhone is using a TON of data. I recently switched over from AT&T Edge network on Sunday Night, and now I am on Verizon 3G all day, I am using the phone alot, but never noticed this amount of data sent and recieved before. Also battery life is considerably worse with the CDMA version, but again, I'm used to 1 to 2 bars of EDGE, and now have 3/4 Bars 3G. We have an unlimited data plan which is good, but I don't understand why I am using almost close to 24GB's of data up/down in less then 5 days?

2. jlw2387 macrumors member

Whoa! What are you doing on your phone?

3. eddiejsmall thread starter macrumors member

That's what I am saying, nothing but cruising the web. Maybe updated an app or two? I don't get it, any logical explanation? Emails?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What are your uses primarily? Also, what type of email settings do you have? Push?

How many hours of video do you do?

5. eddiejsmall thread starter macrumors member

No video whatsoever (okay I did try 3G Netflix like twice), but wasn't on it long (10-15minutes). Had Push email for GMAIL and EXCHANGE through Novell School Email. Turned that off because my battery suffered big time. Twitter has been showing Location Services on, which I turned off, because I thought that was a detriment to my battery life. It is really unexplainable.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its gotta be a mistake.
    I heard of some people's iphone displaying used data incorrect with big amounts like that the same day they received it.
    Check your account online, it should list how much you really used.

7. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Definitely a mistake. I've watched hours of steaming TV shows (Hulu+, Netflix and PlayOn) and I'm looking at just over 1GB right now.. 12 days into the cycle.

8. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Yeah that's a mistake for sure. Go into the options and reset your usage for the month. See if it changes over the next few days.

9. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

i had 25 gb s last month and now 130 gb s this month...its unlimited chill out. :rolleyes:

10. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

This. There is definitely a bug with the data reporting in iOS 4.2.6. I reset it a couple times, but it still says 30GB when Verizon says I only used 400-500MB.

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

Download this app called iData Usage. It helps.

Ever since we took out DSL in our house to save cost, my iPhone is the only source for internet at home and I have a 200 MB limit. iData Usage and using Opera Mini over Safari have been extremely helpful.

12. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

How could you use that much??

I watched video all month one time and didn't get anything near that much usage!

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, you disconnected the home internet and 200MB is enough for your iphone and your home usage?

14. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I know what you mean. I used 200MB in the first day I had my 3GS, so I had to switch to the 2GB plan. I now only use about 1.75GB per month.