iPhone 4 vodafone UK - 'Mobile Data Network'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Youngy, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Youngy macrumors newbie

Youngy

Im puzzled why in my Settings/General/Network screen is as below, 'Mobile Data Network' and 'Mobile Data' when everyone else's says 'Cellular Data Network' and 'Cellular Data'

[​IMG]

Purchased iPhone 4 sim free from the Apple store. It has the vodafone uk carrier settings, identical to my mate. And he can turn on Personal Hotspot no problem (without the bolt on) and yet mine says to contact Voda.

Firstly why is my menu wording different and how do I enable Personal Hotspot without the bolt on?

Thanks

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

probably because we call them 'mobile phones' while americans call them 'cell phones'

it makes sense that it should say 'mobile data' rather than 'cellular data' in the UK, since the UK doesnt use the word 'cell' in relation to mobile phones at all.

much like we put petrol in our cars yet americans call it gas (no idea what they actually call gas (i.e. butane, ect.)) :confused:

3. Youngy thread starter macrumors newbie

Youngy

I understand the language difference. My mate bought his iPhone from a vodafone shop on the high st, I purchased mine from Apple store - both in the UK. Why are they different?

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

I would imagine that it has something to do with the fact his will likely be locked to vodafone and yours being sim free.
    I don't know it this is true but perhaps vodafone have different carrier settings depending if the phone is sim free or locked to voda.

another possibility is his (either computer/itunes or/and phone) is set to the US local, in which case he may want to change it to the UK local inorder to get the correct date/time format and to get the UK keyboard (I know I wouldnt want the US date format on my phone)

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I bought mine from Apple online, sim free, vodafone contract, and mine says Cellular...

6. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

One thing I noticed is when I restored my iPhone to fresh 4.2.1 it said "Mobile Data" like in yours. After jailbreaking, syncing etc. I noticed that it said "Cellular Data" and has ever since.. So I'm not sure if something I installed from Cydia or something changed it :confused:

7. Youngy thread starter macrumors newbie

Youngy

Is Personal Hotspot working for you?

The wording of menus isnt a big deal, just seems odd

8. A2DY macrumors member

mine from voda is the same as yours (except has hotspot),

for the personal hotspot, if your on PAYG then you need to call them to set it up, the tethering package comes automatically with contracts (you just only pay when you use it....£5 for per 500mb)

are you PAYG?

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think if your phone is set to English (American) it will show cellular data, but English (British) will show Mobile Data.

10. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

I bought my phone at the O2 store, and it also says Cellular Data Network, even though everything is set to English (UK).

11. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

You're righht, I just checked! Thanks. I wasn't bothered, more curious if anything, I had to change it from "British English" because it gave some weird wrong language code error in Cydia :p

12. Youngy thread starter macrumors newbie

Youngy

No, on contract

How do you check/change this? I cant find it in Settings..

13. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Settings >> General >> International >> Language - look for British English. Can't believe I didn't notice this earlier :eek:

14. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

I just checked mine. If I set it to 'English' I get Cellular. When set to 'British English' I get Mobile.

15. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I'm 4.2.1 Jailbroken, just changed to British English (It's near the bottom of the list) and have got Mobile now instead of Cellular, sweet :D

16. Youngy thread starter macrumors newbie

Youngy

Thanks, that explains it