Iphone 4 + VOIP provider + SIPhon+ 3G dataplan =Worth it ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by CZK, Jan 18, 2011.

1. CZK macrumors 6502a

HI !

I am thinking to buy a 3G dataplan and use VOIP.ms services ( they have phone number in my regional code which is great) in combinaison with SIPhon.

What you guys think about that ? Good idea ?

Considering that the dataplan will be around 20-30 per month and i'll have to pay something like 0,5 cent per minute.

I read somewhere that Telus is not blocking SIP communications on their 3G

Thanks

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

AT&T in my experience makes for an ok voip connection, but not totally consistent. Would probably be best to get the dataplan with verizon for this end but I dont know how you will swing getting a verizon iphone with no voice plan.

3. CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

TELUS

Canada,Quebec,Quebec

And i own my iphone 4, i can take whatever i want as plan.

4. mickeyho92 macrumors newbie

Hey, I got a factory unlocked iphone 4 too in Quebec but I wonder how are you getting a data only plan? Rogers and bell won't let me a data only plan for the iphone (perhaps ipad plan?)

A friend of mine got his Voip working over rogers 3g but with some kind of jailbroken trick to makes the phone believe it's wifi

5. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

True....I have the att data plan ipad hack and use talkatone+google voice app for voice. It still gets the job done while saving me $70 a month. I also have the SMS GV extension to send/receive texts from the native text app. This set up is great imo.

I tried textfree but i find them unreliable at this time. Servers are always down and no voicemail....also, over 3g....you will get echos and 2-3 second delays while talking to somebody.

I have not experienced that in talkatone. Actually, I walked about a mile with perfect quality over 3g.......

The ONLY downfall to talkatone, is:

1) The UI....it needs a make over.
    2) If they could some how implement bypassing the "press 1 to accept the call, or press 2 to decline it" That would be great...........

6. mickeyho92 macrumors newbie

7. dataonly macrumors newbie

can anyone confirm if the ipad 3G into iphone hack still works? Also does anyone know if it will work with the iphone 5?