Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Hello, shouldn't the speed difference between these models be huge? As far as I've seen on videos, 4 loads websites and applications only seconds slower.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
It all depends on what you are doing. The 4S is indeed faster overall. Considering the upgrade price is the same, it's a good deal.

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
In my case I sold my iPhone 4 for £440 and my wires for £380. My iPhone 4s cost me £240 from voda with no contact extension. I sold that for £700. I then brought a 64gb for £600 and a 32gb for £500 out right from a business friend who had upgrades these voda unlocked them for free for my wife and me.

In the end the bottom line is my wife and I both have 4s and I am a £180 better off. Is the phone better in somes ways yes and others I don't really notice. Took 2days of messing out but no contact extension. I will most likely do the same when the next iPhone comes out as that is what I am really waiting for.

The phones are snappier but then at other times really slow I think this is due to some apps not being fully iOS 5 compliant yet.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Afew seconds is quite an increase.

It's fascinating to me how the conditioning process restructures our expectations and demands.

Part of the infant developmental process is learning to defer gratification. Babies demand instant gratification and learn, over time, that their needs cannot always be gratified instantly. We then are able to tolerate the frustration of not receiving gratification instantly.

I got my first computer about 11/2 years ago. As time goes along, I find myself growing impatient if something takes even a few seconds to load. It's an amazing, and to me, disturbing phenomenon. I realize speed is one of the characteristics of advanced electronics, and processes that used to take minutes (and longer) are now completed in seconds. (When I did my dissertation, all that was available at the time were huge IBM's using punch cards which took hours to do statistical calculations now done in seconds). These advances are wonderful, and to a techno-boob like me, miraculous.

That being said, the difference between a page loading in 3 seconds rather than 7 seconds has become a source of discomfort for many. I try to force myself to accept this minuscule frustration - life is too short (in my case, much too short!:p) to create a stress response over a few seconds.

Perhaps this marks me as a troglodyte... just a thought from an old fart adapting to a new world.:D

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
You really notice the difference if you can compare both at the same time editing a photo.

The 4S is almost instant.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Hello, shouldn't the speed difference between these models be huge? As far as I've seen on videos, 4 loads websites and applications only seconds slower.

Don't really know what you were expecting. The performance difference is certainly significant but it's by no means huge. I suspect it's going to be a lot more noticeable going from one of the previous iPhone models to the 4S.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Don't really know what you were expecting. The performance difference is certainly significant but it's by no means huge. I suspect it's going to be a lot more noticeable going from one of the previous iPhone models to the 4S.

I can confirm that from a 3Gs the difference is bigger than I thought or remember when running them side by side in the store.

In the real world using the web browser and camera, it's extremely noticeable.

My wife took my Gs and my son her 3G. I'm almost can't tolerate the plain 3G. It's painful beyond belief.

TheWalrus

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
I had a 3G and was just out of contract so I was due an upgrade. The 4s us great and works a treat (Siri? Jury's out!) but going from a 3G what would you expect?

That said I agree with Shrink and the worlds insistence on "everything now" is tiresome. I still recall my car phone with some fond memories...

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
So basically what's the point of buying a Corvette when a Toyota Prius can also get you from point A to point B, albeit a little bit slower? Is that the point?

Ok.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Dudes don't fool yourselves. For standard tasks, the differences between the 4 and 4S is really minimal. The 4 is already very fast that most people wouldn't notice. Nowhere like the difference there was between a 3G and a 3GS. However, for high end games like infinity blade, the difference is huge. The 4s is really how that game is meant to be played

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
You may not notice the difference right now, but when iOS 6 comes out, you definitely will notice the difference. Look at the difference between the 3G and 3GS right now, the 3GS is still a nice solid phone for most of the population, but the 3G, 90% of people I know who have one today, want to throw it into the wall.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011

it all depends on what you are measuring and benchmarking for comparison. In your case you are using website/app load times. Lets say your app loads in 1second on iphone4, and it loads 0.5seconds on iphone4S. Twice as fast!!! but will you even notice it? Probably not. Also remember that app/website load time is dependent on other factors not related to the phone such as carrier network access time that can fluctuate at any given time.

now if you are comparing some thing like photo/video editing speed where it is more taxing on the hardware you will most definitely notice it there. If something takes 2minutes normally but cut down to 1minute. The iphone4S has dual core CPU as oppose to the iphone4, it is faster. However, you will notice it more with 3d games and such. The iPhone 4S is 5-6x faster.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/...rks-800mhz-a5-slightly-slower-gpu-than-ipad-2 if you want to see more types of benchmarks.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Dudes don't fool yourselves. For standard tasks, the differences between the 4 and 4S is really minimal. The 4 is already very fast that most people wouldn't notice. Nowhere like the difference there was between a 3G and a 3GS. However, for high end games like infinity blade, the difference is huge. The 4s is really how that game is meant to be played

Infinity Blade is definitely worse on iOS 5 than it was on any iteration of iOS 4 when running on an iPhone 4. It's definitely a software issue in how Infinity Blade runs now on iPhone 4, which is a bit disappointing.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
It's fascinating to me how the conditioning process restructures our expectations and demands.

Part of the infant developmental process is learning to defer gratification. Babies demand instant gratification and learn, over time, that their needs cannot always be gratified instantly. We then are able to tolerate the frustration of not receiving gratification instantly.

I got my first computer about 11/2 years ago. As time goes along, I find myself growing impatient if something takes even a few seconds to load. It's an amazing, and to me, disturbing phenomenon. I realize speed is one of the characteristics of advanced electronics, and processes that used to take minutes (and longer) are now completed in seconds. (When I did my dissertation, all that was available at the time were huge IBM's using punch cards which took hours to do statistical calculations now done in seconds). These advances are wonderful, and to a techno-boob like me, miraculous.

That being said, the difference between a page loading in 3 seconds rather than 7 seconds has become a source of discomfort for many. I try to force myself to accept this minuscule frustration - life is too short (in my case, much too short!:p) to create a stress response over a few seconds.

Perhaps this marks me as a troglodyte... just a thought from an old fart adapting to a new world.:D
Couldn't have said it better than this :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.