iPhone 4 vs. Droid?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LanEvo, Sep 11, 2010.

1. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I have never used a Droid before, have used iPhone and such. I own a Touch. I wanted to know, besides like apps and such, what are the differences between these two? I am deciding right now, to get a used 32gb 4 or a Droid X/some Droid.

2. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Let me get this straight, you come to an Apple forum and ask if you should get an Apple iPhone or a Droid iPhone, right?

Do you go to Ford dealerships and ask if you should buy a Chevy?

Did you also go to the Droid Forums and ask if you should buy an iPhone?

For the record get the iPhone, you won't be disappointed. Why would you want a phone with a droid virus on it? :D

3. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Your title says iPhone 4, but your post says 3GS.

And just an FYI there have been a lot of threads about this, and they never end well. You may want to do a quick search.

I've never had a droid, so I can't help there.

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

In the official phone scores for 2010 the iPhone scored a 297 out of 312 points, and the Droid scored 201 out of 312 points.

You choose.

5. LanEvo thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, I wrote the wrong thing, what I mainly am asking is what makes the Droid so great? I am leaning toward the iPhone 4, but what makes the Droid so much better that it's a competitor?

6. LanEvo thread starter macrumors 6502

I have never owned a Droid either, which is why I am asking.

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

If you already have a touch then you are already somewhat committed to iOS apps, so if you are looking to get a smart phone why wouldn't you get an iPhone?

8. djgulia macrumors 6502

I own an iphone 4 and several family members have the Droid, so I've played with it. No hesitation in picking the iphone over the Droid. I'm just not a fan of the Android OS.

9. PrincessMelody macrumors member

My friend has a Droid...He loves it...I played around with it, and HATED it. Not user-friendly at all. Plus, it crashed.

10. LanEvo thread starter macrumors 6502

I am currently using Verizon is the big reason, and I am due to an upgrade in a few months. In my area, Verizon gets the best service, which is making me go back and forth to decide.

11. stephensays macrumors member

I moved from the droid to the iPhone 4, 32 gb on launch day.... never looked back.

iPhone 4 has better (faster) camera. droid took literally 5 seconds to autofocus/flash/take picture.
    Droid would spontaneously delete whole text message threads even if they were locked (one of my biggest irritations with the droid... but its more of a software problem than actually phone/hardware).
    This isn't really a problem pertaining to the droid but more of the Android OS, but it simply is not as developed. Games do not render as smoothly, apps crash often, there's not as big of a selection etc.

You definitely can tell the difference in quality between iOS and android.

Android is more for customization, which was sorta cool to experiment with until your phone crash and would never get out of the reboot screen.
    iPhone is more is for simplicity and stability- which I would choose, hands down, over Android and fragmentation.

Those are the biggest things I can think of... if there's anything specific you want me to compare let me know, otherwise, good luck in making your decision!

12. cygni macrumors regular

cygni

We are an iPhone and Droid family, and there isn't a huge difference. Each has great features and feel really snappy. The actual 'phone' experience of Droid is miles ahead of the iPhone (3GS drops calls constantly, we haven't upgraded to 4), but, right now, there's a greater selection of apps to do everything and anything wit the iPhone.

Good luck!

13. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

What do you want to know? Just asking "Why is phone <A> better than phone <B>?" is going to get you a slew of conflicting opinions

There is also the problem that there are about 5 or 6 different Android phones that compete with the iPhone 4. Some more similar than others, and some with advantages that the others do not have.

The MAIN difference when everything is said and done is that an Android phone gives you more choice.

You can choose:
    -What size/form factor phone you want (iPhone 4 comes in one size only)
    -How much flash memory you want to add in with an SD card
    -What cell phone provider you want to go with
    -What apps you want to put on the phone (only AT&T blocks non-market apps from being installed)
    -Whether to swap the battery out when your phone runs out of juice
    -What launcher or ROM to use
    -What keyboard to use
    -etc

One other main difference is that you don't need a program like iTunes to activate, install, or sync data to an Android phone.

You should really go tinker around with one so that you can see for yourself whether you like Android enough to give it a try.

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

It isnt better. As far as Android goes, the Galaxy's are better. But, you can search the many, many threads on this that have been in here. As posted above, i also recommend going to http://androidforums.com/. There is a forum for every type of phone in there.

15. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

Here is my .02. I currently have the Droid X. It is a great phone with some caveats.

CONS
    - it's slightly less user friendly (subjective) and can be complicated SOMETIMES depending on how you use it.
    - It works very well when it works but it has some problems such as lag... apps will freeze up completely (especially the NFL app lol)
    - It's not uncommon for many apps to just outright crash
    - 3G will drop randomly (Baltimore w/ Verizon)
    - battery life could be better but that depends on how you use it
    - my phone has restarted randomly plenty of times now which really pisses me off (1 month usage)
    - typing is basically a pain in the ass compared to the iPhone (yes i've used MANY different keyboard apps)
    - web browsing isn't the greatest but not unbearable
    - wifi can be finicky
    - gps bug (could be fixed in Froyo) that causes gps to run in the background constantly draining battery
    - crappy app market

PROS
    - HUGE screen is huge
    - Very nice camera and flash
    - Decent YouTube app in that it has HQ option but sucks pretty bad like the iPhone version
    - Very customizable (LauncherPro is amazing)
    - some people think Verizon is a pro (I actually have better service with AT&T, knock on wood)
    - very tightly knit with Google apps (iPhone is pretty good at that too now)
    - Widgets (i could care less about these)
    - Android notifications!

That's all I can think of now. I'm really tired. It's 12:30 AM and I have class at 9AM :D Feel free to post some questions and I'll try to answer them but I'm sure there are other Android/Droid users around here ;)

BTW, I'm most likely gonna switch to the iPhone 4 soon, turns out I would only be out $10 bucks more per month which is a no brainer :p

16. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

I'm an iPhone 4 user and I'm very happy with it, however I've played around with Droids and Evos and they're nice phones too. In any event, if Verizon's coverage in your area is far superior to AT&T's, you may have to default to them regardless.

My thoughts (in comparison to my iP4)

Things I liked about the Droid-X:

+The big, manly 4.3" screen.
    +Android notifications.
    +Widgets
    +HDMI out
    +Google Navigation

Things I didn't like about the Droid-X:

-Less-than retina display
    -Carrier Branding and bloatware
    -Motorola/Verizon's skin
    -Less developed App market
    -Less straight forward UI
    -Camera Picture/Video quality
    -Media integration isn't up to the Apple level

Overall, I think the Droid-X is nice and has some advantages, but I'm sticking with the iPhone 4.

Edit to add: If I had my heart set on getting an Android phone, I would try to wait for the next generation which will (hopefully) have retina-level displays.

17. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Hmmm if you are car shopping you wouldn't word it that way. How about this:

"Hey I've been looking at Chevy's. What does Ford offer that Chevy doesn't?"

See how that works? ;)

18. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I have a Droid X and an iPhone on my desk. Honestly, it is more like six or one versus half a dozen of the other.

My personal reason that I like the iPhone better for my needs (and this is opinion):

1: Plenty of docks and adapters for any iDevice with a 30 pin connector. this doesn't exist on any other platform. Even with the standard USB connector, the Apple dock provides structural support so the iDevice can be docked in a cradle.

2: Android has no encryption of data, other than apps moved to the SD card in 2.2. This is important for Exchange and sensitive info right here. Just this by itself keeps Android out of the enterprise.

3: I don't like CDMA providers. Phones in the US are not compatible with CDMA standards elsewhere (like China and Korea where they use R/UIM cards.) If you want to go overseas with a CDMA phone, you need a "world phone" which has a GSM radio and card in it.

4: Data such what apps store is harder for a thief to copy off as opposed to an Android device. It would require serious forensic equipment as opposed to just dropping the SD card into another computer. Yes, thieves, or whom the phone is fenced to do rummage through user's data in order to find targets for extortion or usernames/passwords.

These are all opinion statements though. Take them for what they are worth.

19. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

SERVICE is what it boils down to.
    Stick with Verizon. You want a phone that gets good reception, right?

Always pick the best carrier in your area before you pick a phone.

/thread

20. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

don't never ask about a Droid forum on an Iphone forum or about a Iphone on a Droid forum. All you'll get is bias BS with ppl making crap up. Your best bet is to go play with both phones at the store and make your own judgment.

21. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I've got an iPhone 4 and two of my friends own the HTC Evo. The phone is very cool, and I really like the OS. IMO the best thing about Droid is the way it handles notifications, and the ease of customizing (ringtones, alerts, etc.) The two major downsides is battery life, and it's just not as user friendly as iOS.

I'm sticking with the iPhone 4, but I hope someone releases a notification mod for the jailbroken community.

22. aohus macrumors 68000

Droid X all the way for me.

I got tired of the iOS environment (nothing wrong with the OS, just grew stale on me). Lack of customization and control also lead me to migrate to the DX.

Additionally, I always choose carrier over phone, no matter what.

Battery life is great on the Droid X. I easily get over a day of use with moderate-heavy use.

[​IMG][​IMG]

23. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

I also have both driod 2 and iphone 4. while i like the iphone ui better the driod seems faster. i have had some apps that run horrible on my 3gs and 4 then the same app on driod is flawless.

they are both good phones but i would def recomend trying each one out.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the droid x and the wife as a iPhone 4.
    All I can say its a matter of personal preference.

I like the options that droid provides, and freedom to make changes to the phone.

The iPhone has a really polished UI, the apps are typically great and apple's walled garden approach has advantages (and disadvantages). The integration of itunes and apple's itunes store is another plus as well.

The bottom line, check both phones out and get one that fits your needs.

You're asking which one is better on an iPhone forum, I wouldn't expected a lot of unbiased replies