iPhone 4 warranty? Going to the store tomorrow

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dyoo20, May 10, 2011.

1. dyoo20 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. As you can tell, I'm a little new around here, but I hope you can still help me out.

I recently bought an iPhone 4 on craigslist, and found that it was still under warranty. Its on the latest firmware, 4.3.3,
    and I unlocked with gevey sim and jailbroke it with redsn0w.

HOWEVER, the iphone does have a small crack near the bottom left hand corner in the back. Also, the home button is sometimes unresponsive.

Also, I lost the original sim card tray...(Gevey comes with a custom one and I misplaced the old one)
    I am planning to restore and genuinely activate with a old AT&T card before I go into the shop.

I want to claim the warranty! I want a shiny new iPhone! I don't have AT&T service however..
    Also, like I mentioned, I am missing the sim tray and the there is a small crack on the bottom.

Do you guys think that Apple retail store will help me out? It is under warranty until November. Any tips? I was told to say that I have to reconnect the wifi every time I turn it to sleep..

Any TIPS???!!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you go strictly for getting the crack on the back of the phone fixed, they will charge you $29 to replace it. They won't give you a new phone, they'll just replace the back. Plus, its not something that's covered under warranty since the crack must've came from the user. My suggestion is to emphasize the issues on the home button (if you really have any) because for that, they'll give you a full replacement. However, if the back of the phone has a large enough crack, they might deny you service unless you fix that crack first ($29). You might not need an AT&T sim to get your iPhone serviced, but you at least need the SIM tray. You could try pulling some BS off that the tray was loose, kept falling and now is lost. I doubt they'll buy that story though. I would suggest you look for a new tray on Amazon/Ebay, etc. The SIM tray actually has the serial number of the phone but I doubt they will look at that. I'm just pointing it out though.

Don't give them any issues about WiFi or something like that because they'll tell you its a software related issue and you need to first reinstall the OS on the phone and come back if the problem persists. Do a hardware problem (like the home button).

I heard that you need an activated AT&T SIM to receive service, but I'm not sure if they actually emphasize that rule. I had an inactive SIM in my iPhone when I went to get it replaced, but then again it was on the "connect to iTunes screen".

http://www.amazon.com/Iphone-Card-T...9YIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305081160&sr=8-1

Good luck :)

3. dyoo20 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm.. I actually left my sim tray at the t-mobile store.. but they said it probably got thrown away.

I know that after you restore your iphone, it gets stuck on the emergency screen without an ATT sim card.

I work on a lot of iphones, and that emergency screen goes away if you put ANY att sim card in there, inactive or not, and then quickly connect it to itunes immediately after you put it in. That is how I plan on 'activating' the phone.

Do you think I need to buy a new sim card tray?? I'm really hoping I don't need to go through that hassle..

4. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

If you want to try and get the whole phone replaced, I'd definitely replace the sim tray. If you just want the back glass fixed, I wouldn't bother.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yes, just keep any AT&T SIM inside the phone when you hit restore in iTunes. I'm pretty sure you'll need a SIM tray if you want servicing. Remember your warranty is good until November, so there's no rush.

6. dyoo20 thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhh I guess you're right. I'm going to head over to T-Mobile and see if they have the sim card tomorrow.. Hopefully they do xD

This home button issue is what's bothering me the most! I guess if they don't have it, I have no choice but to order it..
    I freakin lost it today! I went over there to get a T-Mobile sim compatible with gevey sim, and I left it at the front desk. I can't believe they would just throw something away instantly after finding it..

Anyways, do you think they would give me a replacement even though there is a crack, and that there's no valid ATT sim card inside??

7. dyoo20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the support everyone.
    I went to the apple store, and got a new iphone!!! ... well refurbished. I was a little disappointed

:D

Now to unlock this thing...

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

How could you tell it was refurbished?

9. dyoo20 thread starter macrumors newbie

the home button wasn't perfectly aligned. It's a little tilted to the left