Iphone 4 without the data plan- possible?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Elle928, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Elle928 macrumors newbie

I've been googling for a few hours and cant find any consistent answers. I recently purchased the iphone 4, however I do not need the data plan. I am starting college in the fall and will have wifi access everywhere on campus. Do i unlock and jailbreak my phone? I read somewhere that I need to change an imei number? I am very confused.

Could someone please tell me step by step how to change (?) or whatever I need to do so that I can cancel the data plan with att and just use wifi?

All help is greatly appreciated :)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can't.
    Go with prepaid AT&T or switch to Tmobile.
    If you stay on postpaid AT&T account they add the data automatically.

3. Elle928 thread starter macrumors newbie

wait really? =/
    the iphone 4 wont work the same way the old iphones did? I know people with the 3gs that were able to get rid of their data plan:( and still stay with their att contracts

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

AT&T has begun automatically adding the data plan required by your contract (and which you agreed to by signing the contract) if it detects an iPhone on your account. The best you can do if you want to continue using postpaid service is to switch to the $15/mo 200 MB plan.

5. Elle928 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know for my old phone ( a blackberry), my parents had data completely blocked on my phone number, so could they do the same for this?

Also, is there any way to make it so that they cant detect that im using an Iphone?

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Can;t do it, AT&T will add the data plan to your account as soon as the system detect an iPhone, it is not even done by humans anymore it is an automated system.

7. Elle928 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any way to make it so that they cant detect that im using an Iphone?

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well.... the answer is YES,,,,but that is illegal and no discuss here.

Why would you want an iPhone4 wihtout a data plan anyway? get an iTouch + a Cheapo $20 pay-as-you-go phone

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, they can immediately detect it from your IMEI. And, before you ask, there is no way to change your IMEI (and it is very illegal in some countries).

10. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

Bascially you're gonna be stuck with at least $15/mo. Maybe just get an iPod Touch and forego the iPhone?

11. Bella5567 macrumors newbie

Not sure if this would work- but ive heard people talking about using this:
    http://www.squidoo.com/Noiphonedataplan

and then calling att to tell them that they wont be using their iphone anymore and put a data block on their account.
    If the micro-sim becomes, deactivated, then they would just use their mini sim ( from dumbphone) and convert into micro sim.

Does anyone know if that would work?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats bs on that site.
    They can tell the second you put your sim, microsim to any cellphone what kind of device you're using to acess their network.
    Then once they do scans they detect you're using an iphone with no data plan and add it automaticly to your account.
    No way around it, pay the $15. You wont go broke.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

i gonna say no it won't work. AT&T can detect what phone your using with in a couple of minutes. in other words they will see you have a iPhone which requires a Data plan. seems odd to have a 600-700 dollar phone and have such a problem with a $15 plan. if the folks got it for 2-3 hundred then live with the $15 since that's what the folks agreed too. if it's that tough sell the pone get a touch.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or better yet sell the iphone and get a cheap nokia so you can make rent:D

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Exactly, can't afford the data? Then you shouln't even be looking at the phone.

16. Bella5567 macrumors newbie

As a college kid, it makes sense that he/she wouldnt want to waste $180+ a year for something she isnt even going to use. whether she can or cant afford it really isnt any of our business

and I remember people telling me the same thing about my iphone 2g, then 3g, then 3gs. and guess what. they were wrong. All have been used without a data plan for years now.

So for the sake of helping someone who is in need of help. is it possible to hide the imei number?

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No you can't hide it, you can change it but that is ILLEGAL!!!!! as i said it before.

It is not possible anymore, the system was put in place early in the year (2010) so it will do it automatically.

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

Also since it's Illegal and and defrauding AT&T discussing how to do it would also be against the rules of Macrummors. poor college kid should have bought a regular phone! and a Ipad or a laptop! that would have made more sense!

19. siltears macrumors newbie

Is AT&T the only company that does this? The forced data plan?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, Verizon does too.
    Not sure if Tmobile or Sprint forces data plan on their smartphones.
    And there is no way to hide or change the imei on an iphone.

21. kingkong8624 macrumors newbie

im not sure if this is true or not, but i heard a rumor that after you jailbreak your phone there is a app. that lets you pay 10 bucks and you get use tether for free and it works like the old iphone data plan? someone care to explain?

22. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

@OP

Give up that morning latte five days a month :cool:

23. OnNightfall macrumors regular

Let me ask you guys something, if you buy an iphone 3GS let's say on ebay, and you jailbreak/unlock it, but then add your AT&T sim and that line never had data before it will work right?

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont need to JB or unlock to use it on AT&T.
    Any AT&T sim will work with US iphones.
    And if you're on post paid plan and they detect you're using an iphone with no data they will still add it to your account when they notice it.

25. OnNightfall macrumors regular

Ok, my friend tested this and it worked. He unlocked an old iphone and put an AT&T sim that was on a line with no data and it works. He can make phone calls and send/receive texts and that line has no data. So maybe the unlock makes it able to work without a data plan without AT&T knowing.