Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
$130 today for no updates once iOS 8 hits, or $250 for udpates easily into iOS10 (assuming Apple follows their own footsteps).

If Apple follows their footsteps, iPhone 5 will only go to iOS 9. Every iPhone has had 3 iOS updates since the 3GS. Since the iPhone 5 shipped with iOS 6, it will be upgradable to iOS 7, 8, and 9.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If Apple follows their footsteps, iPhone 5 will only go to iOS 9. Every iPhone has had 3 iOS updates since the 3GS. Since the iPhone 5 shipped with iOS 6, it will be upgradable to iOS 7, 8, and 9.

You are right!

However, being that the 5C is basically a 5 in another skin, I expect the 5 to see iOS 10.

But anyway, my point was, and still is, the iPhone 4 has met end of life. I couldn't see myself spending, well, anything on it, if my plans were to use it as a daily driver.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
You lot are such snobs!

I use my iPhone 4 everyday. The stainless steel and glass is unmarked after 4 years of use. Currently running IOS7 without issue - well some apps may take a second to load - but even if I added those seconds together for a month or two, I'm only a minute in the hole.

I use Match for music so storage is not an issue. When I think of the initial cost and divide that by each of the 4 years of use, it was a bargain.

I say if the phone is what you need and you are not going to get stressed by the odd wasted second, go for it. It won't last for ever, but nothing ever does.
In my opinion buying a brand new cutting edge phone 4 years ago and continuing to use it is a lot different than buying into a 2010 device in 2014. If it suits ones needs, great. But as an investment it is a poor choice. But that is just my opinion.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I've been using a 4S for 26 months now and it's been a great phone. Might update to the 6 if it has a lot of useful features for me. However, if I were to buy an iPhone now as my daily driver I personally wouldn't get a 4S, much less a 4, unless finances were an issue and I could get a 4 or 4S really cheap. Instead I'd try to find a 5 for a reasonable price.

Killcount

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
$130 is steep for an outdated device. What phone do you currently have? I would just put that money towards a newer and better device.

adamj575

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Tennessee
If you are just using it as an ipod touch then why don't you just buy a used ipod touch? you could probably get one for very close to his $130 asking price...

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I could sell you an iPhone 4 for $100 instead...32gb.

honestly, that seems expensive to me.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I was looking on ebay at ending auctions last night and a 16GB verizon iPhone 4 went for $102 :eek: So I guess some people still see value in them.

I got a 16GB verizon 4S for $160 and I would recommend the 4s over the 4 just because it's got the A5 which is the about the same performance as the iPad 2 and iPad mini (which Apple still sells to this day)

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
its a great purchase to be used a iPod or iPhone, if you are not a heavy user and just want a "iPod" that may be able to make calls if needed, this is great.

I would suggest you offer your friend $100 instead.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Hey guys, today my friend offered me his old iPhone 4 for 130$. It is in perfect condition, absolutely nothing wrong with it, and is 16gb. Is it worth it? Especially since it has an A4 processor and likely won't be able to run iOS 8? NOTE: I wouldn't use this as a phone, but more as an iPod touch.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

I agree with some of the above posters that $130 is just slightly too much for the device alone (maybe not if he throws in some nice accessories). I think that since it is in the condition you mentioned, I would offer him $100 especially since u plan on only using it as an iPod touch. Technically it is about identical in speed with the iPod touch 4 so it may be a relatively ok deal.

I think top price is $110 for the device alone, is your friend including any accessories like a case, charging chord or anything because if so it might be a good deal depending on what he includes.

Best of luck,

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Your friend is ripping you off the phone is worth nothing.

It isnt worth nothing, it is definitely worth a good $100- it just isnt worth anything to you. You know that apple still sells the iphone 4 in some parts of the world. It is great as just an iPod touch and is basically the same in specs as a iPod touch 4 with a few extra features. Since he claims it is in perfect condition i think it should be worth it for $100 maybe $90. But if he can get his friend to throw in the charging chord and a case or any other accessories it could definitely be worth it as a new charging chord costs like $30 and cases can cost anywhere from $10 to $80.

----------

It is kind of toward the end of its life but as an iPod touch u can still play some games and do music or videos and go on the web.

----------

Is this your first ios device?

MacsAllTheWay

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2014
Horrible video. It doesn't show any actual speed improvements in 7.1

Instead the reviewer chose to ramble about unnecessary things.

I actually found it to be quite helpful. Did you not see the annotation saying the link to the article about the speed improvements was in the description?

The reviewer did a good job on saying the pros and cons. If you consider that unnecessary, I'm not quite sure why you're on the Mac Rumor Forums. Not to mention that it's about the only 2014 review on the iPhone 4 out there that I've found.

AppleFanBoy91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2014
I actually found it to be quite helpful. Did you not see the annotation saying the link to the article about the speed improvements was in the description?

The reviewer did a good job on saying the pros and cons. If you consider that unnecessary, I'm not quite sure why you're on the Mac Rumor Forums. Not to mention that it's about the only 2014 review on the iPhone 4 out there that I've found.

The reviewer should've stated the iOS improvements though. Although, I do agree with you that pros and cons are extremely necessary.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
The 4 IMO was a very nice phone when jailbroken on iOS 6 lol but for $130 I'd be more concern about battery life than other performance issues. It's not worth the hassle.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
In my opinion buying a brand new cutting edge phone 4 years ago and continuing to use it is a lot different than buying into a 2010 device in 2014. If it suits ones needs, great. But as an investment it is a poor choice. But that is just my opinion.

Not that I want the OP to buy that iPhone 4; but an investment has to make money. Almost any phone will depreciate right off the bat. So, if all the OP does is talk/ text/ occasional maps or app usage - (s)he may come out ahead with a cheap iPhone 4 compared to a brand new ~$700 device.. :)

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Not that I want the OP to buy that iPhone 4; but an investment has to make money. Almost any phone will depreciate right off the bat. So, if all the OP does is talk/ text/ occasional maps or app usage - (s)he may come out ahead with a cheap iPhone 4 compared to a brand new ~$700 device.. :)

I would agree with this statement. I just sold a CDMA iPhone 4 (32GB) for $160 locally (New home button and battery installed by me last week and in mint condition with a custom back). I had it running iOS 6.1 still and they buyer just wanted an iPhone to use on a prepaid network off contract. They use it as a phone, and only minimal app usage and some browsing. So it's perfectly fine for his case. He wanted something large enough to store music to replace his iPod and combine it with a phone.

I went with a 4S back in October to replace my Galaxy SIII off contract for $240 and I've been so happy with it I just bought an iPhone 5 off Swappa since I've been missing LTE and I'm still on unlimited data with VZW and if I renew it goes away.

It all depends on the individual. But for the most part I would say the 4S is a good baseline. But for others, a cheap 4 will do.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
Not worth it, I still own my 4 (using it as ipod) and it is running 7.1, runs good but there is some lag from time to time, go for the 5.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan

Investing doesn't always have to make money. It just means you're getting something out of it

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I would never touch a iP4 because the microphone is TERRIBLE and that is the real reason SIRI was never allowed - voice recognition was impossible with such a cheap mic - so if you actually need to be understood when talking to someone you need at least a iP4s, which had a mic system leaps and bounds better and was the first iphone that didn't make you sound like you were being choked underwater to the other party.

mitico

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Italy
You lot are such snobs!

I use my iPhone 4 everyday. The stainless steel and glass is unmarked after 4 years of use. Currently running IOS7 without issue - well some apps may take a second to load - but even if I added those seconds together for a month or two, I'm only a minute in the hole.

I use Match for music so storage is not an issue. When I think of the initial cost and divide that by each of the 4 years of use, it was a bargain.

I say if the phone is what you need and you are not going to get stressed by the odd wasted second, go for it. It won't last for ever, but nothing ever does.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.