iPhone 4 Yellow Screen Woes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flipster, Jun 25, 2011.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

So, I thought my iPhone was perfect...until I used my sister's. I immidiately noticed that her screen was a lot...brighter for say. Mine seems dull and washed out in comparison. It turns out that my screen has a tinge of yellow in it, and hers is actually easier to see in daylight. Mine is on the left, her's is on the right. I tried as best as I could to capture the difference.

[​IMG]

I thought I was just being obsessive, so without saying anything I took the two phones to my mom, held them up side by side and asked her which one looked better. She quickly said "that one" pointing to my sister's. I asked why and she said it looked a lot clearer and brighter.

I know there are problems with these screens, and the replacements can actually be worse.. I understand I'm being a little obsessive, but things like this drive me insane I don't know why. Do you think I should try for a replacement? IT is noticeably yellower and duller, but I'm afraid once I get to the store (30 minute drive) that I'll just get the same, or even worse one.

Opinions?

2. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

It's worth a shot to try and go for a replacement. Although since the white iPhone 4 came out the yellow screen has been the norm for most devices. If you do go to the Apple store, make sure you bring both your sister's and your phones.

3. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

The yellow replacements I've gotten have been more obvious than that example.

You may not want to do it, because you risk getting an even dimmer yellow display.

4. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

Is that the deal with pretty much all replacements nowadays? I was considering taking mine to Apple for battery issues but I'd rather deal with it than get one of those as a replacement.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If you've got a solid, good working iPhone 4 then I suggest you just buy the battery online and do the labor yourself. It's an easy install, you will probably save money, and you won't risk getting a crap refurb with a faulty home button or lock button or some other problem.

6. Sonic04GT macrumors regular

Well it's still under warranty, bought it in February, hence why I wanted to take it to Apple. Only had a couple minor issues with it.

7. 03jcrhr macrumors member

Ask for a replacement at the genius bar but be sure to get it out and turn it on in store to ensure there are no more problems

8. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

i would go anyways i had the same issue about 2 weeks ago the genius saw it right away and without any questions he swapted it with another.

9. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's some pictures comparing to my friend's iPhone 4. Her's is also brighter, along with my 4 other friend's phones.

Attached Files:

10. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

So after comparing my iPhone five of my friends, it was clear to me that this screen is washed out, dull, yellow and unacceptable. I purposely bought the phone for the screen, and it looks like crap :(.

I have a question though :). I booked an appointment with a genius on Monday, but how will it work? Just walk in show them and have them replace it (I won't leave until the screen is good). Do they need some sort of identificaion? Thanks!

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yes but you wont find a non yellow one. Very rare.

12. anthonybkny macrumors regular

anthonybkny

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

My first replacement had that yellow dulled screen. I swapped it out again and got the nice vibrant screen back. So they are definitely out there.

13. anthonybkny macrumors regular

anthonybkny

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

My first replacement had that yellow dulled screen. I swapped it out again and got the nice vibrant screen back. So they are definitely out there.

14. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Well I really was trying to make do, but between all of my other devices with more correct white point, it's just like I'm looking through a used tea bag. I'm heading back.

Fwiw, my 3GS is nowhere near this yellow. I plan on havin a discussion with them about the inconsistency between the iPad, iPhone, iMac, etc...this is something apple needs to sort out. And...I am usually pretty good about realizing when I am being picky, so I asked my girlfriend which was better. She said, the iPhone 4, but mine has better color.

For a point of ref. This is after I tried to equalize with brightness.

[​IMG]

Interestingly, the difference is far more obvious in person, perhaps exacerbated by the white iPad bezel vs black iPhone bezel.

15. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Especially when the selling point of this phone is for it's super display, and it looks like a cheap screen. My brother has a 3GS, sister has a 4, and my 5 other friend's have iPhone 4's. I compared mine next to all of their's and I was immediately pissed off because my was way duller and yellow. They even agreed. One of my friends even said "Your screen looks...idk..cheap" :O

I have an appointment today at a genius bar, so i'll report back. I won't leave until I get the phone Apple promised me.

16. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I'm sorry... When did apple promise you a super-bright and non-yellow tinted display?

17. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

They promised me a phone with a bright, vibrant crisp screen. That's the selling point of the iPhone 4, correct (retina display)?

Well I have one that looks like a dirty teabag compared to all my other friend's phones. Something is clearly wrong there. You would be angry if this happened to you..

18. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

Your phone works and has a screen with the proper resolution. You may not like the way that the colors look on yours and that is a reason to go back to Apple and ask them about it. Honestly, if it was as bad as you are saying right now why didn't you notice the problem right away?

19. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Is it really that big of a deal? Like I'm not trying to be negatively critical I'm just curious how its inhibiting your use...I mean if this is known to cause long term issues I get it but is it really that bad using daily?

20. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

The first couple days, I did notice the screen was duller and more yellow than my Droid X (I thought it was normal, continued using it).

A couple days later, I compared it to my sister's. Something wasn't right. I knew it, and further proved my point when I found out that my iPhone was yellow and dull compared to 7 other iPhone 4's.

21. h00ligan macrumors 68030

In my case, yes. It has to do with photography. Both the iPhone and iPad get used for edits. I may have to adjust white balance on the run...with one screen so different than the rest in my lineup, it leads to uncertainty and possibly bad processing.

Is not common, and if I didn't know my original phone was way different, I probably wouldn't have any expectation..however, I went in for a home button repair and walked out with a far inferior display...

Again it's a lack of consistency that is an issue...for any manufacturer...but as apple charges a premium for their products, customers expect top of the line.

22. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Ah I could see where that could be hard to deal with not to mention just outright inaccurate at times. Yes I would agree that Apple charging premium should really try and focus on consistency with their coveted "Retina Display" as Apple is known for aesthetics (among other great things!) and there flagship product should be tip top shape.

23. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That's probably true, but they never made any promises. It would be up to the niceness of the genius to replace the phone.

24. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's clearly defective, every other iPhone that I've compared it to is brighter and more vibrant. It would be wrong of the genius not to..

25. kre62 macrumors 68000

When they displayed them in Apple stores. And on TV. You wont find a single yellow tinted display on any display phone at an Apple store in the world. And the display phones are the epitome of representation of the final product.

Its a big deal OP. I've had yellow screened phones and gotten them replaced. I don't think people realize how dingy, unclear, and disgusting the yellow phones are.

Not talking about a clear screen with a slight warm tone.