iPhone 4G back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mistermonica, Jun 25, 2009.

1. mistermonica macrumors newbie

So what do you guys think the odds are that the back of the next iPhone could be made out of carbon fiber? I know that Apple has been looking/ experimenting with carbon fiber for their laptops. I believe they filed for a patent about a technique to adjust the look/finish/color of carbon fiber.

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I have my sucpiciousions that the next iPhone will be a cosmetic change to the 3GS and a few minor additions (flash for camera and perhaps a 64GB version)) and not the dual-core jesus phone most are predicting...I think there will be colors available much like the Nano (and the Mini before that) and that will be the big selling point...JMO

3. toughluck macrumors member

Im not sure, this update was just for speed so i know they will update the look but i think if they change it it will go back to aluminum. dont take my word for it though
    -toughluck:apple:

4. mistermonica thread starter macrumors newbie

It would be nice if Apple went back to aluminum, but wouldn't that interfere with the signal strength? I loved the aluminum back but I wasn't a fan of the squeaky black piece on the bottom.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

My bookie said 9:1. :)

6. cmaier macrumors G3

7. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

8. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

do u honestly believe that?

9. mistermonica thread starter macrumors newbie

If you think about it there really is no downside to carbon fiber. It is light weight, wouldn't crack like the current 3G/3GS plastic backs, would be able to disperse heat better(to allow for a faster processor), wont scratch or smudge like the 3G/3GS, wont interfere with signal reception, can be coated in different colors, and it can be matte instead of glossy.

10. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

haha, no.

11. cmaier macrumors G3

One downside: $$

12. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Let's see, they dropped the Aluminum back in favor of plastic due to reception issues.

Plastic sucks (cracking issues)

Next up, I think a material that won't block reception like plastic but is more rigid like Aluminum.

Figure they'll have had 2 years to develop it by release in 2010. ::Crosses Fingers:: Something better...

13. mistermonica thread starter macrumors newbie

True, but i'm sure Apple could just force AT&T to absorb the cost. Remember when people were willing to buy the iPhone when it was $500?

14. cmaier macrumors G3

A lot fewer bought it at $500 than when the price dropped to $300. Sales increased by something like 5-fold if I recall.

15. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

16. cmaier macrumors G3

ceramics. comparatively cheap and strong. Comparatively brittle, though.

17. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I am curious what the 'new back' will do to the iPhone case industry.

No design change of 3GS must have been the best news for them.

18. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

AND my money will be as far away from your money as possible.

19. mistermonica thread starter macrumors newbie

If what they say is true, then this would be better than carbon fiber. I think this would be perfect for the next iPhone. It's a shame it's not available for the 3G/3GS yet. +1 for the link.

20. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

21. VespR macrumors regular

No idea. I spoke to them about their last iPhone design with the first model and they said they were preparing a 3G version. I imagine they'll do this in a limited run.

I've swapped my iPhone once already due to the cracks and this one that's only 3 months old is cracking even worse. As great a device as it is, as brilliant as it looks brand new. It ages very poorly, and ends up looking a bit tacky with all the smudging. The comparisons on Giz with the HTC Hero pretty much said the same thing. I'd glady spend $150 improving the shell if it's going to extend the life of the device till my contract runs out and also boost my ebay resale when the next model comes out.

The original iPhone's made by this lot were selling for insane amounts on ebay.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

And guess who AT&T would pass the increase on too, us. They'd not just grimace and take it like a man, they raise the price of the phone, fees or other way to get back the money.

With increased competition, that's probably the last thing apple and AT&T wants, making it a more expensive proposition

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Carbon Fiber certainly will block RF signals (probably at least as well as metal does)

24. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

100% RF Transparency
    Kevlar
    Unlike metals, kevlar is an organic compound. This allows the full spectrum of radio frequencies to pass through effortlessly. As a result, kevlar not only improves physical strength but also reception.
    Why Not Carbon Fiber?
    Pure carbon is an electrical resistor; converting electrical waves to thermal energy. This property makes carbon composites impractical for devices requiring RF transmission. In fact carbon fiber is the “secret” material stealth aircraft use to absorb radar.