Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Also the heat was a major exaggeration. It wasn't 113 here yesterday. I'm not saying it wasn't hot but why exaggerate? Also why would u wait in line at biltmore. If any market screams wait a few weeks and don't queue. It's ours in phx. Sorry you had a bad experience but honestly what did you expect mid summer in the desert?

Apparently I was wrong and some airport. Prob sky harbor had 113 on the Tarmac. So I apologise. Still why line up in our heat for the biggest launch ever.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It was all about the process
The "process" used for the iPhone 4 launch is the same process that Apple has been using (in its stores) since 2008. :confused:

How you could set such ignorant personal expectations about a process that has been so heavily documented by mainstream media for years now is inexplicable.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
One thing I've noticed is that although Apple Store employees are incredibly friendly and reasonably accommodating (they were passing-out some pretty nice umbrellas for the sun in San Diego - bet you could have used those in Phoenix!) they are also relatively powerless and just follow instructions.

So, if it isn't planned-out in advance, it doesn't happen. Thus, no ability to apply common sense and wrap the line around the other side of the building, where people would be sheltered from the sun.

I complained several times that there were no Apple employees tending the end of the lines, making sure that people knew which line was which. I had to ask people IN the line which line it was, and, in fact, THEY weren't really sure.

So, I went and asked an employee which one was which, and suggested that they send somebody to tend the line. Never happened.

But they sure had fun tossing ice cream to the crowd. Seems that was authorized by the higher-ups.

(This was after asking a "mall cop", who - literally - didn't know his left from his right...)

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Let me just give you piece of advice, Phoenixian, if I may...

From someone else who knows how to get upset over the stupidest things, unless you want to look down at the fine phone of yours for the next year or so and think of this god awful experience and all the anger that ensued every time you see it, your stomach turning and the heat of that day boiling from the depths of your soul, you gotta be able to let go of stuff like this!

You may have felt these things very strongly, clearly, but it will do you a world of good if you can just learn to let it go, and not fester into an explosive hate-mail that really won't matter in the end. Even if you thought you just had to get those words out, the torment of that day will just follow you wherever you go with or without that phone, if not lead to more days just like it.

For the sake of the peace of your mind and soul, man, BE EASY. :cool:

(FWIW, I myself wish I could follow this same advice as much as I give it. And I believe many types on this forum could benefit from the same)

/sermon

koilvr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Hey Princess did you get your Iphone4? If you did please give it to someone who is handicapped and deserves it. If the serves went down remember on this BIG BLUE PLANET YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE! If you want to be the Only one in your world go to MARS. I hate people like you, your not in-titled to anything in life. Go fly a kite!

mpsruo

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
Hey Princess did you get your Iphone4? If you did please give it to someone who is handicapped and deserves it. If the serves went down remember on this BIG BLUE PLANET YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE! If you want to be the Only one in your world go to MARS. I hate people like you, your not in-titled to anything in life. Go fly a kite!

Not that I agree with the OP or anything, but wow that was difficult to understand...

medicscott

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
san diego
i love it...all the posts on this guy. he cant even respond to anything. what a crybaby. nobody pity's you buddy. and HR at apple prolly put this up over the water cooler for a good breaktime laugh.

iPhoneVic

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
after the 1st couple of lines....

this is all i could see....

Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah

LOL

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
If Phoenix is too hot for you - move somewhere else. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy that big hole in my backyard that has lots of cool water in it and my AC in the house.

You just made yourself sound like a big crybaby.

The preorders online freed up in the afternoon of the 15th, and after about 10 minutes of persistence and reloading around lunchtime, I was able to order with ease. iPhone 4 (no, not 4G) got delivered to my house the day before launch. In the AC.

Get some coping skills, friend.

WHM

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
South
I've sent this email off to Apple; unsure if I found a valid email address or if anyone really cares. Just thought I'd share my thoughts with you:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Despite my best efforts to pre-order the new Iphone in the wee hours of June 15, I was unable to do so on-line because of the failure of Apple's and AT&T's websites. It was only because of the release of the Apple Store application for Iphone that I was able to make a reservation to claim a new Iphone at Apple's retail store at the Biltmore Shopping Center. This website failure resulted in an unnecessary 8 hour ordeal in extreme conditions.

You may not be aware that this particular shopping center is an outdoor shopping center.

My plan was to arrive to claim the phone at 8am following a 7am appointment. I arrived to find massive crowds waiting in line. The lines wrapped three quarters of the way around the building. The temperature at 8 am was 96 degrees.

Two lines were formed, one for reservations. Water was offered along with various snacks throughout the wait.

Rumor spread through the lines that only one non-reservation customer was allowed in for every ten reserved customers, yet the lines didn't seem to move.

As time passed Phoenix's temperature reached 113 degrees and the lines barely moved.

I left the line to enter the store to see what could possibly be taking so long. My assumption had been that one would purchase the phone and leave (to activate the phone at home as I had done with the Iphone 3Gs that had been shipped to me directly). Instead I witnessed each and every phone being activated in-store. The transaction became a two step process involving purchasing the phone followed by activating the phone. A minimum transaction time of 10 minutes per phone. AT&T had two representatives in-store. I casually asked them if AT&T would un-lock my Iphone 3Gs once I purchased my Iphone 4G. They suggested I contact AT&T customer service (by phone) for the answer. I then asked if they'd never been asked that question before. They responded that, when asked the question, they always refers the person to AT&T's customer service (by phone). I suggested that perhaps they should get the answer to the question to save their (and your) client a telephone call. They stared blankly at me as if they didn't understand the value of having an answer on-hand for the client.

Announcements were made occasionally to the lines updating availability for those who were unable to pre-reserve a phone yet no one had an actual count to offer. Rumor spread that the ratio changed to one non-reserved customer for every two reserved customers. People called friends at other local stores and were told their ratios favored reservations to non- reservations 10:1, sometimes 15:1. Rumor spread through the line that employees were taking lunch breaks and there were fewer available to tend to customers. The line barely moved and the heat escalated.

Finally, at approximately 3pm, my friend and I reached the front of the line. The guardian of the "list" was reluctant to allow my friend and I to enter together. Only if we were married would he allow this to happen. I lied to him to gain access simultaneously and escape the now 113 degree heat. The purchase of my phone took perhaps 2-3 minutes. My friend's transaction was a bit more complicated since she was upgrading her phone and that of her daughter. She also purchased MobileMe's family pack to cover herself, her daughter and her son. The transaction took approximately 15 minutes.

Now we had to visit a second person to activate the phones. My transaction took literally seconds, Denise's took longer because we learned her Macbook's operating system (which she'd brought with her) was not compatible with the new IOS4. She purchased the new Snow Leopard operating system as well. The challenge here was finding someone with the point-of-sale machine to ring the transaction. None were readily available and this took time.

I had anticipated perhaps a wait of perhaps 60 minutes. I anticipated entering the store, purchasing the phone and leaving. How naive was I.

Apple offer amazing products which are beautifully designed and executed. There is no disputing that fact. Apple offer incredible customer support. The Genius Bar is my friend and has assisted with many issues as I left Microsoft's world to enter that of Apple. I cannot count the number of computers, Ipods, Iphones, Airport Extremes and other Apple products I've purchased in the past 5 years. I am a fan.

Where Apple falls down is customer service. This rollout is a great example of that falling down. Apple's system's are precise. If the model used in scheduling Genius Bar appointments were somehow adapted to the rollout scenario perhaps clients would enjoy the experience rather than dread it. It appears that Apple chose the model the TSA use at airports instead of the model Disney uses in the the FastPass system at their theme parks.

More specifically:

The door to this particular Apple store faces north. The lines traveled east from the door, down the east side of the building and wrapped around to the south. The sun rises in the east and southern exposures always offer the most sunlight. This orientation offered the greatest exposure to our hot desert sun. Had the line traveled west from the front door and continued south (on the building's west side) customers would have been shaded for the majority of their wait.

This Apple store does not have bathroom facilities for customers. Perhaps none do. Because this mall is completely exposed to the elements, a public bathroom is contained in an office housing the property's concierge. This office did not open until 10am when the majority of businesses open. Therefore, from 7am (and earlier for those who showed up to stand on-line) until 10am, there were no restroom facilities available for Apple's customers.

The simplicity of the two lines was perhaps naive because there were more than two customer types present. This variety of customer led to the excessive delay. Instead, I believe you had these customers present:

Existing AT&T customers, in good standings, with reservations
Existing AT&T customers, in good standings, without reservations
Existing AT&T customers, not in good standings, with reservations
Existing AT&T customers, not in good standings, without reservations
New AT&T customers with reservations
New AT&T customers without reservations

I learned, upon entering the store to purchase my phone, that many people were deemed ineligible for upgrade by AT&T. These individuals had issues with their AT&T accounts which required resolution before the phone could be purchased. Perhaps this is why two AT&T representatives were present yet this did not help expedite processing of all the customers. Instead it exacerbated the delay. These individuals, perhaps, saw this as an opportunity to resolve their issue and purchase a phone in one visit, to the detriment of all those in good standings with AT&T. Had the AT&T/Apple systems not crashed on June 15, this would not have been an issue. The work-around appears to have been the Apple Store application for Iphone.

The bottom line is, to my detriment, Apple once again could not live up to my expectation to receive excellent customer service when purchasing the new Iphone 4G. Had the websites not failed on June 15 I would have received the phone by FedEx and activated online. Instead, a simple transaction which should have taken moments took 8 hours of standing in incredibly uncomfortable heat. People who brought small children with them couldn't complete their business. Elderly people with health issues couldn't complete their business.

I believe Apple and AT&T (for their contribution to the fiasco) owe all of us an apology and commitment that this will never happen again.

Respectfully,

ps. For those wishing to keep our Iphones in pristine condition, perhaps Apple should consider sharing with third party vendors the specifications of new products so that protective cases can be developed and released to coincide with the release of the new Apple product. I'm not suggesting sharing the technical aspects of the product, just the exterior dimensions. No cases for Iphone 4G were available for purchase yesterday. The Bumper had sold out and, frankly, I couldn't justify spending $29 more for a picture frame for IPhone 4G.

This is the 4th iPhone launch... it's aways a mad house... next time wait a few weeks until things calm down. If you own a business selling a products you can not control the weather and a lot of poorley prepared customes who want the product on day 1 ! If idiots were trees Phoenix would be a rain forest and not a desert!

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
Chalk this up to experience in being an 'expert' as you refer to us. And, we're not all experts by the way...myself included.

What will you do the next time an iPhone comes out? Will you get one? Will you pre-order? If you decide to stand in line, will you go better prepared? Will you never buy another Apple product again?

That's the beauty of this, right? It's your choice. Don't let what we say influence you. If you still feel strongly about your experience, send your letter to Apple.

You shared your experience and we've all shared our opinions about your experience.

I waited in line when the Palm Pre came out (I know...what was I thinking!) and that was a much worse experience. The Sprint guy kept coming out and saying, "I don't know...I'm not sure there's enough for everyone." Kept us on pins and needles till the last minute. It got annoying. The line wasn't nearly as long but I kept thinking, "if he knows how many phones they have, why can't he just tell us if we should keep waiting in line or not?" The process took forever...I'd say 20-30 min per person. I could have left but choose to wait in line.

But, I find that in these situations, it's best to be as zen as possible. It's the only way to keep your sanity!

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I fail to see an issue. Clearly this guy has never been to a mall on black friday. Also, employees are allowed to take lunch breaks.

What the heck is the problem?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Why is all of your text in bold?

Don't you know? Writing all of your text in bold automatically makes everything you say absolutely true, and requires people to read every word! ;)

It was all about the process; yes, I could have chosen another location.....over twenty miles away from home......two stores are conveniently located for me, both in outdoor malls......My expectation of Apple was the system on rollout day would work smoothly.......

Your expectation was dead wrong, and you ignored all the obvious warning signs that this would happen (everyone clamoring for an iPhone online, all the discussions here, and all the lines that formed on previous launch days).

In the end, no system, no matter how well designed or how perfect, is impossible to overwhelm. When millions of people worldwide feel it necessary to queue up all at once to plunk down a couple hundred bucks to get a shiny new toy today and not a moment later, this is the result.

Your choices are cut and dry: you line up with the rest of the sheep, or you say "to heck with this heat, it's not worth risking my health which I and I alone have chosen to risk up to now. I don't need my iPhone 4 right this second." And then you go home and order one online. The online ordering system IS working now.

There is no special entitlement for ANYONE to have an iPhone 4. no one ever said that people in good standing with AT&T were going to be treated differently then those who are in bad standing, or are new customers altogether. And if you insist on that argument, then consider this: it's just as easy for someone else to say that you were inconsiderate, being a customer with AT&T in good standing and already having a working iPhone (as proven by your use of the Apple Store app). Wouldn't it make more sense that the greater "need" here would be from those who don't have an iPhone, or perhaps have a broken one?

Of course at the end of the day, the "need" is really nonexistent. No one has ever needed an iPhone. Billions of people manage to survive the "hardship" of not having one, every day.

But then, the way you treat this trivial little thing like a life-or-death need, I really hope no one is in your path should a real crisis develop. I'm sure you'd trample every woman and child in front of you to death as you blazed your way to safety... to go home and post on the appropriate forum a copy of your complaint letter describing how horribly inconvenienced you were.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
This is the 4th iPhone launch... it's aways a mad house... next time wait a few weeks until things calm down. If you own a business selling a products you can not control the weather and a lot of poorley prepared customes who want the product on day 1 ! If idiots were trees Phoenix would be a rain forest and not a desert!

Did you have to quote that BOLDED wall of text? :confused:

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Wow, all you had to do was order it the next day and you would have had it delivered next week. Where is the problem? :confused:

You wanted to stand in line on launch day???

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Sympathy Fail...

I went later in the day and had to stand for 1/2 hour in a air conditioned mall in front of Victoria Secrets. The nerve! LOL

This is a tough crowd, seriously, I would have waited a week rather than stand in 113 degree heat.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
You live in Phoenix. I do too.

What did you really expect?

It's the release of the iPhone and it's summer. I'm sorry, but this all should have been completely obvious to you beforehand. For your experience, there is no reason for Apple or AT&T to apologize. There may be for other situations of problems other people experiences (not here to argue that), but not for yours.

I live in Phoenix myself. I knew that if I preordered at the Biltmore, I'd be waiting too. If you can't handle the heat, you should have known better. Some people in Phoenix waited 13 hours for their phone. It's the nature of the beast, my friend.

iRabid

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
I have to admit that I was at that mall yesterday getting my iPhone 4. I reserved my iPhone on the Apple app. Being that I reserved it in Phoenix instead of cooler-weather So Cali.(was visiting my brother June 23/24) I managed to say that the weather wasn't that horrible compared to some of the heat I experienced SoCal.

37325_137116936299930_100000048740815_357586_6763509_n.jpg

This was the back of the Apple Store (south side)
36975_137429252935365_100000048740815_359024_205058_n.jpg

Front of the store(north side)

I was taken back by the sight of the reserved line that day. Compared to the past launch days of reserved lines. Last year it took me no more than 20 mins to get my phone and I had a reserve. I got there at 6:45 am and didn't leave with my new iPhone 4 till 2:30 pm.

I have to agree on Phoenixian on the layout of the line, but then I realized why they put the line on the east side of the store. There were water misters on that side of the building! I don't believe there were misters on the west side of the building.

There is one thing I believe that they should of done differently. They should entered part of the line inside the store. There were 2 huge tables with about 20 iPhone 4's on each. They could of at least wrapped part of the line around the tables so people could at least demo the phone. The whole time no one was using the demo units. Maybe handful throughout the whole time I was there.
33411_137203022957988_100000048740815_357907_500203_n.jpg

Before I entered the somewhat empty store

I agree on some things that Phoenixian is talking about, but what do you expect for being the release day for the iPhone 4?

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks for the pics iRabid. My wife used to work in that mall. She hated the heat! I just can't help but think about the guy who sued McDonalds for spilling coffee because there was no "caution: hot" warning on it. Did the op want someone to email him and say "Caution: Phoenix is hot, iPhone release day lines are long"?

Phanatical

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
The line about "employees taking lunch breaks" was rich. Lunch breaks?! WHAT?! How dare they. Who ever heard of such a thing as labor laws??

I work in professional sports, and even during the championship series, guess what - we get lunch breaks too! Even with 22k people waiting outside to get in. We also get to eat dinner! What a shocker that I'm allowed to eat twice during an 18 hour workday, like that of many Apple employees yesterday. Sorry but that one line just got to me - for your convenience, you'd rather I go hungry? When I pass out, you're gonna be waiting in line even longer as the paramedics tend to me.

This is almost as hilarious as the man in my iPhone 4 line last night that said "How will I be compensated for my 3 hours of waiting? Do you see this face? I got sunburned!" Apple - and all of us in line - got a good laugh out of him, then got our phones before him, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.