iPhone 4G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Justen, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Justen macrumors member

Just saw on a commercial for Sprint, that they are launching 4G phone that will run on a 4G network.

I am pretty confident that the new iPhone will run this 4G, from what we've heard about AT&T expanding.
    And I'm sure it will be called the 'iPhone 4G'

Care to add anything?

2. Justen thread starter macrumors member

Very smart comment there.

Google it hunny. I'm sure you can find the Ad for Sprint, or even an article about it. Think.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Sprint and ATT aren't going to use the same 4G technology.

Sprint = WiMAX
    ATT = LTE

4. Justen thread starter macrumors member

Yes, but they both use 3G currently, so what are you going to say now?

5. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Why are you being so combative? Do you want people to discuss this topic or do you just want to shoot down their posts?

6. gigidey macrumors member

ATT has said that they are'nt finished with their 4G network and wont be untill at least next year. That, ontop of the time it will take for Apple to actually make the phone that supports the network makes it very unlikely for the next iPhone to support a 4G network.

/thread

7. Justen thread starter macrumors member

No, I'm pretty much waiting for atleast one educated response. Rather that people just saying that it's impossible.
    This website is macRUMORS. And it is very possible, and I'm pretty sure that it will happen.

But neither AT&T or Apple has announced when the iPhone will be coming out, making it very possible that the 'new' iPhone could carry 4G. And where did AT&T say their 4G wasn't ready?

8. gigidey macrumors member

Read my post please.

9. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

x2. If you want to discuss a topic, do so with a little more respect towards the people you are asking opinions from.

10. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Exactly. macRUMORS. Not macUNDISPUTABLEFACTS. What sort of concrete evidence are you looking for? gigidy and darling posted intelligent thoughts.

11. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

ATT doesn't keep their network rollouts a secret like apple keeps its products a secret. So there's no "Rumor" to be spoken of. ATT's 3G coverage is still getting up to speed and they have barely begun the 4G roll out.

Sprint is using WiMax which is already rolling out but in only like 1 city in the US.

ATT has stated that 4G will be arriving around 2011-2012.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-LTE-Still-25-Years-Off-98144

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/04/05/att-4g-lte-network-in-2012.html

12. Justen thread starter macrumors member

That's great, and I asked where he heard that. Anyone can say that something happened. You need real facts to prove them.

13. Justen thread starter macrumors member

I posted this thread to see if anyone else had heard anything about it, and could confirm anything.

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

But they are using different 3G technologies.

Sprint/Verizon = CDMA-2000/EV-DO
    at&t/T-Mo = WCDMA/HSPA/UTMS

The 3G networks are not even built out nation-wide, and they are only just now testing 4G networks. I would not expect a 4G iPhone until 2010 or 2011 at the earliest, and that is only if they are a huge power suck.

TEG

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Hunney, what does Sprint have to do with the next iphone?

16. LoganT macrumors 68020

It's a different 3G. 3G just stands for the generation of the "mobile telephony communications protocol", which it is the 3rd generation.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It will one day but highly doubt this year.
    Wanna take any bets :)

18. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Yeah, they're expanding their 3G network because the coverage of it still sucks.

It takes YEARS to roll out wireless infrastructure. We're looking at NY, LA, Chicago etc. by 2011, widespread coverage by 2012, 2013.

This upcoming iPhone - No Chance
    The next (2010) iPhone - No Chance
    The NEXT (2011) iPhone -Little Chance (depending on coverage at that time)

Assuming the iPhone sticks on ATT.

I don't know on what basis you're "Pretty Confident", but I think you're the one that's a little high.

19. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I seriously doubt it... honestly, 3G is barely even formed. It's only in the big cities. I don't even get it where I am at...

20. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I live in a town of 20,000 up in the mountains and I have fantastic 3G coverage. :D

21. jeremykyle macrumors regular

I live in Louisiana, and currently 3G coverage is only available if you are within 20 miles of a huge market. Hopefully we will be one of the states where they up the 3G coverage.

22. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Northern Michigan... :( no 3G coverage till 200 miles downstate

23. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

at&t's 3g network still sucks,if they're trying to get 4g out right now there idiots. and even if they did have it out it would be in like 2 cities which would make apple not so interested in making a iphone for it. apple would wait till its out in more cities so 4g could be usefull to more people

24. View macrumors regular

LTE has not been implemented yet, and it takes a while to test and be ready for the mass.

Apple is not going to put the LTE chip in there if it is at least a year away... that way they can sell another product and use it as a major selling point.

Remember the original iPhone? It did not even have UMTS/HSDPA while ATT already had the technology implemented.