Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
For those caring about facts, Apple held back on the 3G iPhone due to battery concerns. Even if there were some 4G radio for the iPhone, I'm sure Apple wouldn't want to plop it in there and totally kill battery life. Also, I have a relative who works for AT&T, and they're heavily working on 3G rollout. Never heard anything about 4G.

Sprint and AT&T run on completely different networks. The fact that they're both called "3G" is pretty much a marketing thing.

AT&T is working on upgrading its 3G network to theoretically double the speed to max 7.2Mbps. There were a few "news" stories on this posted a few weeks ago.

If you wanted facts as to why there won't be a 4G iPhone this summer, there you go. That doesn't change the fact that you're acting like a douche to everybody in this thread.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
...You need real facts to prove them.

Original Post:
I am pretty confident that the new iPhone will run this 4G, from what we've heard about AT&T expanding.
And I'm sure it will be called the 'iPhone 4G'

where are you're "real facts?" i'm pretty confident that confidence itself and real facts are different. by the way, why did you say real facts, aren't all facts real?

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Very smart comment there.

Google it hunny. I'm sure you can find the Ad for Sprint, or even an article about it. Think.

Yes, but they both use 3G currently, so what are you going to say now?

That's great, and I asked where he heard that. Anyone can say that something happened. You need real facts to prove them.

I posted this thread to see if anyone else had heard anything about it, and could confirm anything.

Your tone indicates you just want to start a fight.

The only facts you are going on are ones from a different provider. As stated before Sprint and AT&T use two different types of data.

But to put it in words you will understand, "I like totally know that AT&T will not be ready for an iPhone 4G for a while, therefore like Apple will NOT come with a 4G iPhone. Okay. That is fact. Oh and fact. Bears eat Beets. Fact."

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009

I like most are more interested in the 3g network being expanded to cover more areas. Hell 4g, real 4g, (LTE) is 2 to 4 years out.

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
No, I'm pretty much waiting for atleast one educated response. Rather that people just saying that it's impossible.
This website is macRUMORS. And it is very possible, and I'm pretty sure that it will happen.

How is this for an educated response. AT&T has not yet at this point fully deployed 3G. How are they going to start deploying 4G before that is finished?

Also, the 3G protocols for Sprint and AT&T are still incompatible.

drakeshipway

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Oakville, Ontario
For anyone in Canada, here's some info about the Rogers 4G network rollout.

- Current download tests speed have reached 50 Mbps without any optimization involved
- Speeds at launch are expected to peak at 70 Mbps
- Rogers LTE network initially be available in Vancouver and the surrounding area, in time for the February 2010 Olympics
- It will eventually expand to regions outside of the Vancouver area during Q2 of 2010
- The service will launch with a USB modem stick. No 4G-enabled handsets will be offered during the launch date.
- Rogers will offer 4G phones by the end of Q2 as it extends its 4G network coverage outside Vancouver
- Rogers is taking the necessary measures to ensure that their 4G launch will go much smoother than their 3G launch
- Best of all, their 4G network is currently ahead of its development schedule

(Telus & Bell will also be rolling out their 4G network in the same timeframe)

kdarling

macrumors P6
For those caring about facts, Apple held back on the 3G iPhone due to battery concerns.

That's their official story, but as a mobile engineer, it doesn't smack entirely true. It has some truth, but not the whole truth.

The chips didn't change that much, and Apple is fond of using the battery to distract people (as they're trying to do now with background processes).

Apple left out 3G because 1) it saved them $50+ in manufacturing/design costs, and 2) it allowed them to start out with a cheaper data plan.

Others thought so too. PiperJaffray published an analysis of the iPhone shortly after it was revealed.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ

You obviously know next to nothing about the underlying technology.

The baseband networks used by Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile (and indeed the rest of the world, minus Japan) use GSM.

Even though both call their technology 3G, they are two different standards. In the previous generation, one was EVDO and one was EDGE. Two completely different technologies with completely different infrastructure (phone, radio receivers, towers, baseband processing) that will never meet. CDMA will eventually die off, but proably after the 4G generation. Splint and Verizon will have to replace all their back end equipment including towers.

So what are you going to say now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.