Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the latest episode of Diggnation, Kevin Rose (at ~38:30) claims to know some details about the Apple phone from a "solid" source.

According to Rose, little bit of inside info on the Apple phone:

- Going to be coming out in January
- All phone providers
- "It's small as sh*t"
- Don't know anything about the Operating System
- The OS is supposed to be "cool"
- Doing some unique things
- Two batteries, one charger. One for MP3 portion and one for Phone.
- 4GB ($249) and 8GB ($449)
- Flash memory, Slide out keyboard
- Maybe touch screen?

Kevin Rose was co-host of The Screen Savers on Tech TV and later started Digg.com. Last year, he offered last minute rumors prior to Macworld San Francisco which turned out to be accurate.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Hope this is all true!

All except the slide-out keyboard... what about just a phone? Never mind smartphone or PDA, what about normal consumers like me??

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I hope they bring out either a ~100 Mb version for us who has an iPod and only need the phone for the phone, or a harddrive based one that can hold 80 Gb.. :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hope this is all true!

All except the slide-out keyboard... what about just a phone? Never mind smartphone or PDA, what about normal consumers like me??

There's large gap between 4GB and 8GB ($249 -> $449), if previous rumors are to be believed... there will be a lowerend "just phone" and a higher end "smart phone"

arn

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Kevin Rose also flawlessly guessed the (first-gen) iPod nano flawlessly, something NOBODY expected.

I'm gonna say now that it's a 75% chance we see an actual iPhone in January.

nukiduz

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
doesn't january sound a weird month to release a big thing like this one? everyone's broke in january...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Kevin Rose also flawlessly guessed the (first-gen) iPod nano flawlessly, something NOBODY expected.

I'm gonna say now that it's a 75% chance we see an actual iPhone in January.

Actually, podfuture, a member here predicted the new nano and a number of other iPod-related products long before Kevin Rose did. poddy seemed to have very intimate knowledge of both the production and the design processes of the Apple team.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Just how small is it? shuffle small? nano small? I want to know, because I get a lot of fibre in my diet. :)

more importantly, will it be scratch-proof like every other cell phone, or will Apple continue using plastic like all their first generation iPods? I want to just toss it in my handbag without worrying about scratches or getting a thick case.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
It sounds like everything we've been hoping for (most of us anyway). Lets pop the champagne!

The only concern is... Why would the 8gb model cost $200 more than the 4gb model? The 8gb nano is only $50 more than the 4gb nano. It could point to one of them being a smart phone, and the other not... but the source didn't say anything to indicate that. Instead, i think this "slide out keyboard" would really be the keypad for dialing, and the surface of the device would have a screen and a click wheel, like several mockups have shown. This makes an otherwise credible seeming source seem less credible.

capone2

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
chelsea-nyc
let me tell u about Kev-

first yes, he knows he's sh**t. I also recall he the first to predicted the nano but he said it was going to be alu- and a cylinder shape? I'm a HUGE fan of TECH TV and those guys are the best, if kevin says iPone then it will happen.

well see, MWSF should be very interesting.

just as a final note. I think Kevin is so HOT. and for the record Patrick too.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It sounds like everything we've been hoping for (most of us anyway), and it sounds credible. Lets pop the champagne!

The only concern is... Why would the 8gb model cost $200 more than the 4gb model? The 8gb nano is only $50 more than the 4gb nano.

Didn't read arn's post? 8GB could be the smart phone version.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
doesn't january sound a weird month to release a big thing like this one? everyone's broke in january...
This last January was pretty damn big for Apple. They released the Intel iMac and MacBook Pro. As well as the perennial favorites, iLife and iWork. Did I miss anything? I don't think so. And they wouldn't be afraid to release a phone in January.

I don't see Steve pushing a product out before he knows it's good just because he wants holiday sales. (see: iTV)

Elrond39

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2005
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Oooooooh boy!

That 8GB, $449 iPhone sure sounds swell! (Provided it's a smart-phone with slide-out qwerty-keyboard, of course :D)

The 4GB doesn't sound to shabby either! :)

I think what really strikes me most, though, is the concept of two batteries with one charger. It's simple - because there's only the one charger. But it's pure genius! There should be no reason for concern that you'll run out of phone-power because you've been listening to too many tunes. This sounds like something Steve would come up with :) Even if ONLY this is true, it'll be a breakthrough!

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I believe it when I see it.

But I'm now cautiously optimistic. :p

Jan 2007 is sooner that I expected. I thought March or April would be more realistic.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
...lol saw the vidcast this morning and alex had to push really hard for kevin to drop the gossip and i could literally feel everyone on the edge of their seats. Sounds promising but i'll see it first & hear reviews before i make up my mind. Given Apple's recent quality control i'm a bit skeptic of the whole thing.

BenRoethig

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Dubuque, Iowa
If true, the only downside will be the timing as it will miss the Christmas buying season. I understand Steve wants a big MacWorld reveal, but you since can't change phones as easily as you change music players, waiting a month will cost sales.

Hertog

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2005
Hope this is all true!

'Keyboard' could also mean numeric keyboard, I think.

If it is true, it sounds like a nice iPhone, and since I can use a new phone, I can hardly wait. I have a good feeling about this, because even if Kevin's trackrecord was not accurate, there are more and more 'more or less' believable iPhone rumors coming around. There should be a grain of truth somewhere :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.