iPhone 4S as a cheaper phone makes no sense

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Why would Apple release iPhone 4S as a cheaper model when they already have iPhone 4 for that?

It's not like iOS 5 will need the A5 to run, it's coming to 3GS.

So explain please, why would Apple make a 4S with the similar internals as the supposed iPhone 5 except for the screen?

Wouldn't they want a bigger differentiator between the models?

It makes absolutely no sense, and if they want a "cheaper" model, why give it an A5? Like I said already 3GS runs iOS 5 fine.

The only reason and the source for a redesigned iPhone 5 is that supposedly leaked document, that would very well be a giant troll. That's the one and only originator of a redesigned iPhone 5 rumour.

On the other hand... iOS 5 - A5 - 4S? C-C-C-Combo breaker.

But... October 4th, not 5th.

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I see what you are saying and get it. However, i'm sure the 3GS will not have all iOS 5 feature and it's a fact from Apple! Look at the other previous phone generation where the firmware stopped and the feature.

3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I thought of that too. Hate to say it though, but I've a feeling if the A5 is in the iP4S, an iP5 would sound unlikely. Really do hope I'm wrong but hey-ho, roll on Tuesday! :)

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If the new voice features require an A5 chip, that would make sense. I can't see Apple selling a phone that can't take advantage of the new feature.

5. seaquestamd macrumors newbie

Component Consolidation.

Why produce the A4 & A5 chip concurrently? Production costs of the 4S and 5 are lowered by sticking with one processor architecture rather than two.

Low-Mid Range Android/BlackBerry handsets.

The iPhone 4S will re-capture some of the market taken by low-mid range Android phones so features will be removed (e.g. no NFC, bigger screen, no LTE, 8GB memory etc) to make the price more attractive. So its wise to have two product lines moving forward so Apple can maintain growth.

6. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I think it will be iPhone 4 as the cheaper model (with a slightly different part number/a few touch-ups) and iPhone 5 redesigned as the main iPhone.

If it's only a 4S I'm going to kill someone.

7. ryuok macrumors regular

You can't have a discussion on this forum. People here are not thinking rationally like you are. If they can't find a counter argument they'll simply assume you just signed up 2 years contract for an iPhone 4 and call you a sour grape.

8. batman75 macrumors 6502

4S could be a China only model. Or they could be splitting the product lines to provide large screen to those who want it, and regular more pocket friendly screen to those who want something smaller.

9. seaquestamd macrumors newbie

Also the rumor is that the iPhone 4S will be a world phone packing both GSM and CDMA hardware, again consolidating product lines with the only difference being colour and memory capacity.

10. Widashy macrumors regular

Widashy

Exactly, the difference between two generations like that of iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 is huge ranging from processing power to display quality to design. That's why it's called Next Generation, a whole different(evolved) from the first. The iPhone 4S and the 'wishful iPhone 5' are same for all that matter. The difference is just a 0.5" bigger screen. Does that make it so much 'different'? I don't think so. iPhone 5 would sure exist...just like fairies and mothman. But Tim Cook, on Tuesday, would just be having one Phone in his pocket.
    PS: I would have surely said that "But I want to be wrong" but I won't because this is a hard fact which you all have to chew.

11. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank you for the compliment :)

12. shandyman Suspended

Big flaw with the statment, (one of many, the rest all have already been said in this thread), the existing iPhone 4 won't work on some of the new carriers in the US and China, so they need a new cheap end phone to cover that.... there's food for thought....

13. scott.w.ramsay macrumors newbie

I think you have it wrong. The N90A is going to be the cheaper model, and the N94 is the new iPhone 4S. There's a more affordable one, and there's an upgraded one. That's it. No evidence of any iPhone 5 yet.

What doesn't make sense about it?

14. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Why can't they? They've sold 3GS the entire time iPhone 4 has been around and it can't take advantage of iOS 4's major new feature- FaceTime. I agree with the OP. It doesn't make sense, and will not happen.

15. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror