iPhone 4s battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukeyyyyy, Oct 15, 2011.

1. lukeyyyyy macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I know this thread is a few days premature as the phone only got released yesterday but I was wondering what your first impressions are regarding battery life / drain, I am wondering if it's going to be much better than my 3GS,

Thanks

2. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Considering that is has been only about 12 hours since I picked up my phone, it sure is too early. However, my first impressions are that it sure is draining faster than my iPhone 4. Perhaps, it will get better after a few charge-discharge cycles.

3. SAL8116 macrumors regular

SAL8116

Mine dropped from 98% at 1130pm to 22% when I woke up at 1000am.

4. mds macrumors 6502

Mine seems to be draining really fast compared to my 3GS.

5. Codepiink macrumors regular

I've been on the phone with Apple for 47 minutes now and my battery dropped from 23% to now 9%. Wtf.... So much for thinking my battery usage was somewhat decent.

6. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

Thats not normal for any iPhone... Try restoring it in iTunes. Iv found that on some occasions the os out of the box seems to drain the battery extremely fast, a restore should fix that. Anyways on to the question iv actually notice an impressive battery life on the new 4s. I just got done playing dead space (graphic intensive game) for about 30min. My battery started at 100% and is only down to 95%. My iPhone 4 would be around 89% if i played a game for that long.

7. linkandzelda, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

linkandzelda macrumors regular

Mine was at 100% at about 9PM then at 3% when i woke up at 12 the next day. So it lasted like 15 hours standby time. Thats pathetic I wasnt even using it lol...

EDIT: Oh and I was streaming TV on it for 50 mins, during that time it dropped 20%. (After a charge to 100% the next day)

8. benjamin9876 macrumors member

lol seems everybody has the same issue.

slept at 100%. wake up 9 hrs later. 53% left.
    no background running at all. this is Scuk

9. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Did you have location reminders, bluetooth, anything like that turned on? Some people have reported a lot of battery drain during standby when they have location based reminders on.

I went to sleep last night listening to an audiobook on iTunes, and I was a little under a full charge at the time. I woke up sometime during the night, turned the book off and set my phone on the table. When I got up this morning, it was still around 90% (don't remember exactly, but it wasn't abnormally low...very similar to what I've experienced with my 3GS).

10. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Same.

With this many people affected, I don't think it's a hardware issue, it will most likely be fixed with a software update.

11. linkandzelda, Oct 15, 2011

linkandzelda macrumors regular

To my knowledge i havent turned them off, so if they are on by default then they are on. If it makes a difference i havent setup any reminders yet. Although it would be a shame to have to turn them off just to make the battery work :(

EDIT: I founf that theres a location based timezone setting which was turned on and was currently using my location. I turned it off and hopefully it will make the battery better. But who knows it dropped by 1% in 7 mins...

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I removed my iPhone from the charger at 4:30am this morning. Have 71% 12 hours later. I can not see it is going to be a problem. I have location services on and have played a good bit with Siri, answered about 12 emails and same number of texts. Maybe 30-40 minutes on phone during two total calls.

Even on a heavy day at work, I suspect I will not have a battery problem.:cool:

13. GeneKam macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I had max charge 97 percent out of the box and I was in year 2554 BC as well with automatic date and time turned on. So I restored it an the battery is better and I am back to 2011 CE. 6 hours and I am at 36 percent with some usage. No games or anything. The phone does get bloody hot too. Wifi and Bluetooth is off.

14. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

With no apps running, bluetooth on but not paired, one push email account but no mail received through Microsoft Exchange, Siri on, iCloud on but only find my iPhone activated, WiFi and 3G I went from 100% to 96% in 45 minutes without ever even unlocking the phone or turning the screen on.

15. QuesoGrande macrumors newbie

I charged the phone last night started at 100% this morning areound 8:30am CST been playing around with Siri a bit today and playing some games and checking out FB occaisionally, Now I'm at 46%. Not that bad for me.

16. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

Yeah.... Mine is draining pretty fast compared to my jailbroken 4... Isn't really bothering me yet though... Once I get use to the phone it will

17. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

18. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Definitely much better than my 3GS was. If I did anything on my 3GS during the day, maybe a few short phone calls, 2 hours of mail, web surfing, maps, and iBooks, it would be just about drained during the day. Even when it was completely idle it would use maybe 30%-40% the battery in a day.

So I've probably logged about 4 hours of heavy use on the 4S (including games) and it's only at 50%. Everything is on including 3G, push mail, Bluetooth, Location Services, etc. I'm still going to plug it in every night, but I have no doubt it'll get through a whole day on a full charge, no matter what I'm doing with it. I imagine light users could go 2-3 days without charging if they wanted to.

19. tann, Oct 15, 2011

tann macrumors 68000

Personally took my phone off charging 9 and a half hours ago (was at 100% and had been for 2 hours or so). Went to town where the 3G signal wasn't available in certain areas so it kept switching. Twice or thrice accessed the internet and checked twitter & a few web pages. Was texting for about 40mins (total) and also used speech to text for about 5 texts (while on 3G). Brightness was about halfway for 50% of the day and after it got dark changed it to just a bit higher than the lowest it can go.

According to my usage it has been 4hours 16mins since last full charge.
    Standby 9 hours 46 minutes.

Edit: forgot to add, I was at 35% after that!

20. Uabcar macrumors 6502

and what % are you at after all that use/running around?

21. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Ill bet if you turn off SIRI (location services etc) and dont use the camera, it will be as good as the iPhone 4. :D

22. tann macrumors 68000

Sorry, can't believe I forgot to mention that! was at 35%. Now 33% lol. Added it to original post.

23. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

So far,

My first 24hours was like this. Got the phone at around 13h30. Came at 73% battery. Connected to computer for transfer of files, etc. Unplugged at 97%.

Today, down to 1% at ~13h00

Time since last full charge:
    Usage ~5-6 hours
    Standby ~21-22 hours

Made a couple of quick calls, A LOT of SIRI :D, text, emails pushed, setup apps, 30 minutes of maps navigation, a few photos/vids, general turning on off of phone to check things. Data transferred over 3g close to 42MB. Drove around the whole city

Seems pretty good to me!

3g, wifi always on, bluetooth off, push email for 3 accounts, brightness 1/3 with auto bright, notifications ONLY for emails/texts/calls/twitter (no other third party apps), location services on, imessage on, iCloud only syncing reminders/bookmarks/notes/docs/findmyiphone

24. linkandzelda macrumors regular

When i posted previosuly about the location timezone thing, I had 46% battery. I now have 28%... :(

All i did was browse the app store and download 5 apps.

25. Kaenon macrumors regular

You get too much sleep :p

Jk, weird..