Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keith1958

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
So I found a pretty cool car mount for the iPhone 4/S, iPod Touch, and the iPad that I thought I'd share. It's a Kickstarter project, but its still pretty neat. They're way past their goal so this mount will come to the market.

It has 2 Twist-to-Lock suction cups that are connected by a ball/joint. One suction cup sticks to the windshield, the other suction cup sticks to a phone/tablet.

I've tried a lot of car mounts and none seem to work because you have to remove the case/bumper. This mount just sticks to the back of the phone with a suction cup.

I found by removing my bumper too many times it starts breaking and falling apart.

Link to the mount http://kck.st/pPOLLU

Strength test video http://vimeo.com/30833834

Attachments

• 6207877749_d456635186_b.jpg
    6207877749_d456635186_b.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 197
  • iPad Profile Pic.jpg
    iPad Profile Pic.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 124
  • landscape back view.JPG
    landscape back view.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

keith1958

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just figured out how to upload pics of the mount on here! Hope it worked

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I've tried a lot of car mounts and none seem to work because you have to remove the case/bumper.
It's impossible for a given mount to accomodate every possible case option out there. That said, I've had no problems using the ProClip adjustable mount with Bumper and similar cases.

MortalDays

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
It's impossible for a given mount to accomodate every possible case option out there. That said, I've had no problems using the ProClip adjustable mount with Bumper and similar cases.

I am about to purchase my 1st proclip. :) The above mount does look very nice though! I wonder how it sustain to heat.

keith1958

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
No I guess not. This is what it says in the description.

"The flexible vinyl circles are to help the MobileMount stick to devices that have a matte finish or a rubberized back. This is the same type of vinyl that is used to wrap cars and trucks, so it's water proof and very durable. The majority of people won't need these, but they're good to have just in case."

dqfayi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
I found several kinds of cases now compatible with iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. Here I will share these cases for you if you have got the same searching. Diamond swarovski crystal case, Waterproof pouch dry bag cover, Deff cleave draco iv aluminum case. :p

keith1958

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
My Lifeproof case fits very nice on my pro clip car mount.

I tried something out like the clip and I didn't particularly like it because it was way too low. I needed something on the windshield where I didn't have to keep looking down. It also kept hitting the power button on my radio every time i went over a bump on the road.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
I tried something out like the clip and I didn't particularly like it because it was way too low. I needed something on the windshield where I didn't have to keep looking down. It also kept hitting the power button on my radio every time i went over a bump on the road.

I don't like the low ones. Here's how I have mine, sorry for the huge pic, can't figure out how to resize it.

35ddd1e.jpg

----------

I was looking at car mounts today and just happen to stumble across this thread. I even registered to post. :) Quick question..

Will the ProClip work with the OtterBox Commuter case?

Yes it will, I was using my otter box defender with the same mount with no problems. Make sure you get the mount that is used with cases.

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
OP: I love this mount! this is exactly what I have been looking forever for! Do you know much about this website? I see if you donate $25 you can get one but what if the funding goal is not reached? do you not get the product or your money back?

srowndedbyh2o

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2009
Hawaii
I tried other mounting systems and ended up with the ProClip in my Honda Element. It’s width is adjustable so it will hold many different style phones/cases. I mounted mine up on the dash so I don’t have to turn my head to see it, just glance to the right. It’s also within easy reach.
The set up is pretty expensive though, because you have to buy the car mount and device holder separately, but it’s a solid mount, well made, and works great. Well worth price.

Attachments

• IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1955-copy.jpg
    IMG_1955-copy.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1964-copy.jpg
    IMG_1964-copy.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 181

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
OP: I love this mount! this is exactly what I have been looking forever for! Do you know much about this website? I see if you donate $25 you can get one but what if the funding goal is not reached? do you not get the product or your money back?

For Kickstarter project, you are only charged once the goal is reached. If the goal isn't reached, you'll never be charges.

keith1958

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The goal will be reached. I've been a member for about 2 years now and 97% of the iPhone related products reach their goal! The MobileMount is ahead of schedule. I could see it hitting $60,000-$70,00 which is 3X the amount needed

tmsmith124

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Yes it will, I was using my otter box defender with the same mount with no problems. Make sure you get the mount that is used with cases.

Thanks for the reply!

Another quick question. It maybe stupid but does the proclip allow the phone to turn horizontal? All the pictures I see have the phone turned vertical. If so, how does it look? Thanks!

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
I wanted to get the proclip but the two positions that it offered for my car were very low. One was all the way on the passenger side. Very odd placements

keith1958

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
I wanted to get the proclip but the two positions that it offered for my car were very low. One was all the way on the passenger side. Very odd placements

Yeah that's why I didn't like the proclip. I wanted something that could go on my windshield or on top of my dashboard and the MobileMount does just that.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
I'm still trying to find a decent iPhone / iPod mount for my manual Tacoma. :\

PhatboyNYC

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
I tried other mounting systems and ended up with the ProClip in my Honda Element. It’s width is adjustable so it will hold many different style phones/cases. I mounted mine up on the dash so I don’t have to turn my head to see it, just glance to the right. It’s also within easy reach.
The set up is pretty expensive though, because you have to buy the car mount and device holder separately, but it’s a solid mount, well made, and works great. Well worth price.

The proclip for my car actually seems pretty decent. Too bad it's so pricy though. :(

keith1958

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Update: the MobileMount has over 700 backers and has raised over $31,000 passing its $20,000 goal. For those of you who thought it wasn't going to reach its goal and were scared to back the project, here's your chance.

keith1958

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
If this "mobile mount" requires suction to the back of the phone, doesn't it imply that you need to take off any case that wouldn't provide sufficient suction?

I ordered one of these http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-BlackBerry-Samsung-Windshield-Dashboard/dp/B002K9IPOC/ mounts that's arriving tomorrow, I hope it works.

The "MobileMount" doesn't require to take off your case. He provides some vinyl stickers so you could stick them on your case.

Check out this vid, it shows how strong it is and how the stickers work http://vimeo.com/30833834

The one that you bought requires you to take off your case, or else it won't fit on the clip. I had something very similar to that and it destroyed my bumper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.