Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aeaglex07

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2007
United States
I can confirm that I also see the dramatic signal loss to full signal back and forth. I am also using an iPhone 4S unlocked on T-mobile in the U.S. I believe that is definitely a common thread for those who experience this.

In addition, I see some other weird things. For example, occasionally, the "T-Mobile" in the upper left will change to some numbers like "311-530" or to something else like "USANCW". When I go into Settings/Carrier, then turn off "Automatic", I usually will see these other phantom carriers in addition to T-Mobile and AT&T.

The ones seeing this issue are using it on an unsupported network, meaning there is no configuration to match your carrier's settings (in your case T-Mobile)
So although the phone is a "world phone" it still needs to be on a supported network.

In fact with the carrier name changes you may want to check your usage. it sounds to me like its roaming

PS - coming from an iPhone 4 I am happy to say that AntennaGate is a thing of the past.

Brannon

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2009
I've just uploaded a video on Youtube so you can see, it's not the iPhone 4 in disguise, it's the 4S. I also don't know why I would hold it wrong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl6Bnbv7Owk

It Looks like you are purposely making an effort to make contact with all four pieces of the band. And there for causing a bridge between each band.

Of course you are going to lose signal or you do this.

If you hold it normally as if you are using it you will not experience this.

praetorx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Thank you for all your replies, most of them were really constructive but I have to disagree with those that claim to use it on an unsupported network.

The phone works with T-mobile and that's enough to qualify it to work on T-mobile's network.

If I get better signal with ATT (something I'll try as soon as I purchase an ATT sim card) will only prove that the phone has issues because according to the specs it should run (ok, mind you) with GSM 850 / 1900 , frequencies that T-mobile definitely supports otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get reception at all.

Besides, I had a 3GS on T-mobile and didn't have any antenna issues so blaming this on using it on an "unsupported network" doesn't apply here.

I've also had an unpleasant discovery at work today. The phone would not loose a single bar in one location but would in another where the phone still had 5 bars.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Thank you for all your replies, most of them were really constructive but I have to disagree with those that claim to use it on an unsupported network.

The phone works with T-mobile and that's enough to qualify it to work on T-mobile's network.

If I get better signal with ATT (something I'll try as soon as I purchase an ATT sim card) will only prove that the phone has issues because according to the specs it should run (ok, mind you) with GSM 850 / 1900 , frequencies that T-mobile definitely supports otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get reception at all.

Besides, I had a 3GS on T-mobile and didn't have any antenna issues so blaming this on using it on an "unsupported network" doesn't apply here.

I've also had an unpleasant discovery at work today. The phone would not loose a single bar in one location but would in another where the phone still had 5 bars.

Yeah, thats par for the course with the antenna. On my iPhone 4 I wouldn't lose any signal in strong reception areas, but at my house where its low reception it would go to no service. At my home I could replicate your problem when holding it like in the first video, but it was very uncomfortable to do so. Holding it like your second video and the signal wouldn't budge.

I think it might have something to do with it being on edge, apple did take away the ability to turn off 3g and switch to edge only, maybe this is why? Maybe the dual antenna design only works on 3g?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.