Iphone 4S lock by Apple ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chava, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Chava macrumors newbie

HI everybody I'm new to Iphones. I brought an Iphone 4S AT&T from CL when I brought it was lock the seller told me he was going to get it unlock by AT&T and he did but I can not get it activate because is still in his Apple ID account and now when I called or text him he is not responding is there a way around this

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That feature is designed to make stolen phones unusable, so no, there is no way around it. You'll need to continue to try to contact the seller :(

3. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

Seems like the seller scamed you. And it's even easier to scam somebody that is buying a iPhone for the first time. Sorry man you bought a stolen iPhone nothing you can about it unless you can contact him and see if he can bypass the activation page if it's his iPhone in the first place.

Never trust sellers on CL! I sell and buy all the time on CL. Make sure to check that everything is good before you procced to give him the money. If something is wrong it's better to walk away. Better than being scammed.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yep, looks like you bought a stolen phone. If it was genuine, he would have no need to sell it with the lock on.

5. 617aircav Suspended

you are left with a paper weight. how much did this lesson cost you?

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Nope. Not even apple can remove that lock. Sounds like you got played.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Hopefully thieves will soon realize stolen iOS7 devices have little resale value. Plus buyers should really think twice before buying something that seems like too good a deal.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Clearly they do..

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Apple runs the database; it'd be trivial to remove the lock with database access.

Unfortunately this lock has simply moved the "punishment" from the thief to the buyer. The thieves are still making money from the sales...

10. Chava thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think is stolen because when I brought it was lock by AT&T and I could not get any information from the Iphone and when texted him and told him it was lock and I could not get the IME numbers he texted back to me and gave me the IME numbers and he work with me to get it unlock

11. 617aircav Suspended

What lock are you referring to? Activation lock or sim lock?

12. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

False. The system is designed so that only the iCloud credentials can remove it. Even if they can run a plain text search by serial to find which iCloud account has it locked they still need the credentials to turn it off. Which would violate scads of laws if they gave it out to a third party.

Plus the system was designed to prevent thieves from profiting by gaining a useable device. They aren't going to just remove the lock cause you say it is yours. You would need proof you bought it legally from someone who could legally sell it to you etc.

So even if possible from a tech POV, legally it is not happening and thus not trivial.

13. Chava thread starter macrumors newbie

So I could use any GSM carrier. I Finally got a text from him Which reads Sorry my daughters new phone is link to that now

14. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Have him meet you at an AT&T store to fix everything.

15. Merkie, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

Merkie macrumors 68020

It will definitely decrease sales of stolen phones. Eventually people will realize that iCloud locked phones are unusable and people will become more careful purchasing iPhones.

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Do you get to a screen where it asks you for an Apple ID and password when you try to reset the phone? At that point you need the previous user's Apple ID and password. Obviously that user should have removed it before selling. If you can't get the phone to the seller so he can remove the Apple ID himself, the only way that is practical and safe for him is to give you the Apple ID and password, you reset the phone immediately, and then he changes his password when you're done.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Actually, he may be able to unlock it without physical access.

18. Chava thread starter macrumors newbie

Tank you this is very good information I will contact the seller and let him know how he can do it remotely

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

See, this is why I don't buy on CL!

(Sarcasm to all of you who are ebay distractors and subscribe to such silliness.)