iPhone 4S on T-Mobile--Unusual Situation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randomguyishere, Dec 4, 2011.

1. randomguyishere macrumors regular

So, my friend has an iPhone 4S locked to AT&T. He is willing to sell it to me for less than an Apple store would sell it to me "off contract".
    In need of a new phone, I see why not. I understand I could only use Edge speeds, but, hey, I hear it's not too bad.

My question is...
    Since the iPhone 4S is already locked to AT&T (he's been using it for a week or so) is there any way I can unlock it?

Also, I currently have a MyTouch 4G (isn't working too well--hardware issue). I use a regular T-Mobile SIM card for it. I know that the iPhone 4S only works with Mico-SIM cards. So, if I were to buy one for $10 from T-Mobile, could I easily transfer my contacts and such from my current SIM card to the Micro-SIM?

Thanks!

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

No u cannot unlock it. Best bet is to join AT&T. I had an iPhone 4 on T-mo before and yeah the data speeds suck on old school edge tech.

3. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I've had both an iPhone 3GS on AT&T and jailbroken with no data (only Wifi) on Tmo. While the doing without 3G speeds everywhere is possible for me at the extent of saving a good amount of money, worrying about unlocks all that were a turnoff for me. With the iPhone 4 I just bit the bullet and signed with AT&T again.

4. kre62 macrumors 68000

Go with ATT, trust me.

Before the 4S came out, I would have never recommended it, and was looking to switch. However, with the antenna performance of the4S as well as the new qualcomm cell chip, the 4S is an awesome phone on ATT.

I think half the bad rap for att was due to crappy antennas as well as inferior Infineon cell chips in all the previous iPhones.

5. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

ATT/Apple will not unlock the phone. You would have to wait until it's jailbroken and unlocked. (Not looking so good for a while)

I have a IP4 on T-Mobile (gevey sim) and Edge speeds is livable. Not fast, can't stream videos or anything, but all I stream is Pandora. Works great. and for browsing the internet/emails works perfect.

Just my opinion. and t-mobile is way cheaper.

6. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Your sig says otherwise! :p

8. djuzi05 macrumors regular

TMobile has 3G, the iPhones won't even work on them because it's a hardware compatibility issue.

9. SCARY GAY DAD macrumors 6502

SCARY GAY DAD

Do you know where I can read up more on this? Very strange.

-SGD

10. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    T-Mobile and AT&T use different frequencies for their 3G. The iPhone doesn't support T-Mobile's 3G frequencies.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

AT&T utilizes the UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900/2100 Mhz bands. T-Mobile’s HSDPA network runs on the AWS band, at 1700 Mhz. No AWS band radio on iPhone, no T-Mobile 3G.

12. randomguyishere thread starter macrumors regular

So if I were to jailbreak it, I can unlock it?

You say its not looking so good for a while... why not?

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You can't unlock it unless you jailbreak it. But even if you JB it, there is no unlock available.

14. nraudigy2, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

nraudigy2 macrumors member

or you can buy an unlocked phone. Jailbreak doesn't work for iPhone 4S and iPad 2 yet.

15. randomguyishere, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

randomguyishere thread starter macrumors regular

I have no problem jailbreaking it (assuming there is an available untethered iPhone 4S jailbreak, right?). Isn't there a package by ultrasn0w in Cydia that unlocks iPhones?

16. kalex macrumors 65816

no jailbreak for 4s exists publicly yet. and no unlock for it exists. It might work with givey sim card but not sure

17. randomguyishere thread starter macrumors regular

This site seems legit...

Anyone have feedback for me?

It looks like this download will jailbreak my iPhone 4S AND unlock it.
    Worth a shot?

http://www.JailbreakiPhone4S.com/

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Only certain basebands (modem firmware) for the iPhone are unlockable. Only the very early iPhone 4's (not 4S) could be unlocked assuming they still have the older baseband that shipped with the phone. But if they updated their phone, it's likely that they lost it. No unlock has existed since then, and there currently isn't one for the 4S.

19. blevins321 macrumors 68030

That looks like the shadiest creation known to man. On the right hand side of the screen, it says this: iPhone 4S & iPad 2 Jailbreak is Almost Finished. So no, be patient for a decent free one, or buy an unlocked phone.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, there's nothing that can unlock a locked 4S at the moment.
    But maybe down the road once you JB there might be an unlock but that's not certain if or when.
    Up to you.
    Whatever you do though dont get scammed into sending your money to any of those shady unlock sites.
    There's nothing available right now and those sites will give you nothing but take your money.

21. randomguyishere thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.
    Is there any jailbreak available for iPhone 4S?

Here's an idea...
    Can I just factory restore the iPhone 4S? Wouldn't that be fundamentally the same thing as going to an Apple store and buying an iPhone 4S "off contract" from AT&T?

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, no JB available yet and no unlock.
    And no if you factory restore the 4S or any iphone it doesnt magically turn into a factory unlocked iphone. Its still locked to AT&T and will only activate and accept AT&T sims. No other carriers.