iPhone 4S Owners: Do you have backlight bleed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icomputered, Nov 5, 2011.

1. icomputered, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

icomputered macrumors member

My white iPhone 4S has noticeable backlight bleed at the top of the screen, and I have been debating whether or not I should replace it. It seems that most of the people with backlight bleeding have white iPhones. Do any black iPhone 4S owners have backlight bleeding? Also, will I be able to exchange a white iPhone 4S for a black one?

Thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: here is an image (sorry for the low quality)

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=310923&d=1320548133

Edit: I changed the title to include all iPhone 4S owners, not just black iPhone 4S owners.

2. warxy macrumors newbie

warxy

Ive just got my new iphone 4s (black) a couple days ago but i havnt notice anything. How do you really check?

OT, im pretty sure Apple would replace it for you if its a light bleed problem, but im not sure if they will swap a different colour. I have a feeling its no.

3. icomputered thread starter macrumors member

It is apparent when the top of the screen is displaying a light color, like white. It looks like little spotlights. If you have it, you will definitely know what I am talking about.

4. icomputered thread starter macrumors member

Here is a picture of the bleeding: (Sorry for the low quality)

It's mainly visible when the display is showing light colors, like white.

Attached Files:

5. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Get it exchanged. Thats def an issue.

6. pourme macrumors regular

pourme

Nope!

I've heard about this backlight bleed thing. It's been mentioned before on this forum. Of course being a newby...I've only owned 3 iphones (all of them black).....I've never witnessed it personally.....:D

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Oh wow. I remember having this issue on my 3rd gen iPod touch. But being my first iPod touch I didn't really pay attention to it.

Definitely return it

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Nope. I have a white iPhone 4S and my backlight does not bleed.

9. icomputered thread starter macrumors member

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I can just barely see those under the right conditions looking at the top of the screen from a very low angle...

But it doesn't affect anything in real world use for me ... not even close.

11. icomputered thread starter macrumors member

How about when your screen is displaying a white picture? When I am looking at my home screen, it is much less visible than when the screen is entirely white.

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

The only time I can see it is with a totally white screen -- not a problem.

13. ijohnbro macrumors regular

It's a little light seepage, your phone should be fine. Seepage happens from time to time.

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

My phone is just fine. But my Brother has the problem with his. Frankly I'm shocked how bad it is. We went to the Apple store this afternoon. The genius looked at it for just two seconds, the look of surprize on his face was priceless.

In mere minutes they replaced it and the new one is as good as mine. What a big improvement.

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

16. emachine87 macrumors member

emachine87

I'm a bit steamed...I went to the apple store after I made a "genius" appointment to try and get a replacement black Iphone 4S 16gb. I pointed out two issues, one being the screen had a yellowish tint to it which I don't like at all ( I had the phone for a week now) and the other problem is light bleed all around the Iphone screen on every side! The genius denied a swap request and said these are not problems they exchange phones for. What should I do? I'm pretty annoyed that they don't care about this defects...

17. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Make an appointment at another apple store. I had an issue with a Macbook Pro. Didn't like the answer and price tag one apple genius gave me and went to another store, and had a new video card put in free of charge that solved my screen issues

18. emachine87 macrumors member

emachine87

Thanks for the advice :) I did just that two hours ago. I'm actually going to run an experiment tomorrow at the apple store. I'll wear a business suit and look professional. Maybe just maybe they have a bias towards adults versus young tshirt and jeans wearing young adults, I will report my findings tomorrow :)

19. emachine87 macrumors member

emachine87

Success!

Went in this morning to apple store dressed to impress and to my surprise was able to get a new iPhone replacement! :) one problem though this iPhone has a less yellowish screen but no light bleed issues except on the right side but barely noticeable. I wish I got a straight blue tint iPhone but have to appreciate what I do have :) btw I'm thinking of selling this iPhone in a few months to put a good start on my MacBook pro fund

20. miragebg macrumors 6502a

OP, can you see this issue when using the phone under normal circumstances during daily use?
    If you can't see it when you look on the screen at normal angle, then you don't have any problem

21. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

My Black iPhone 4 does but my White iPhone 4S does not have backlight bleed.

22. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Mine has very little when viewed as that photo shows. Right now not a concern, but maybe moreso when I look into it more tonight after work.

Mike

23. miragebg, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

miragebg macrumors 6502a

Can you see the leds on your 4S when device tilted?