Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How's your iPhone 4S screen?

• Yellow-tinted

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • Blue-tinted

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • Neutral

Votes: 21 27.3%

• Total voters

MrSunshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Hey guys!

Before y'all think this is another OMGzzz YELLOW SCREEN WTF?! thread, please read.

First off, I'm not here to complain. I know that the majority (and maybe all?) of the newer iPhones are shipping with yellow-tinted screens. The original batch of iPhone 4's shipped with blue-tinted screens.

Upon activating and turning on my iPhone 4S, I immediately noticed that the screen had the infamous yellow-tint to it.

So here comes my question. Does your iPhone 4S have the yellow-tint or blue-tinted screen?

I'm going to give it about a week to see if I could get use to it. Apparently warmer colors causes less eyestrain but to be honest, it causes greater eyesore (haha?).

If the jaundice plagued screen does not grow on me, my iPhone 4S will go under the knife and have a retinal transplant (SEE WHAT I DID THERE?!).

According to iFixit, "while most of the 4S has resembled the CDMA iPhone 4, the display assembly appears to be the same as the one found in the GSM version." I will attempt to swap the screen on my 4S with the screen on my 4.

I don't see an option for a poll so just state what carrier/model your iPhone 4 is and if you have a yellow or blue tint to it.

Jaundice.jpg

I guess it's true when they say that the camera adds 10lbs. The yellow-tint is exaggerated in the picture whereas the blue-tint is true to color.

Oh, and 32GB iPhone 4S on AT&T. Yellow-tint.

Thanks and I hope to hear from y'all

Regards,
MrSunshine :)

EDIT:
Here's a picture comparing three iPhone models. This is more true to color than the first picture.
3_Models_Comparison.JPG

Attachments

• Jaundice.jpg
    Jaundice.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 1,068
Last edited:

MrSunshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

thrill5one6 said:
could it be a brightness setting?

No, both brightness levels were cranked up max.

Maybe I can go back to the Apple store to get a swap. I was assuming all screens had the yellow-tint.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

No, both brightness levels were cranked up max.

Maybe I can go back to the Apple store to get a swap. I was assuming all screens had the yellow-tint.

All screens do NOT have a yellowish tint. I was in the Apple store over the weekend comparing my 4S, my wife's 4S and about 4 of the floor models there. The screens ranged from very warm to very cool. My iPhone 4 is very cool as well, but coolest iPhone 4S at the store was far bluer.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Mine's a bit blue-ish. I'd prefer to be able to adjust the color temperature (6500K would be ideal), if not completely calibrate it, but if I have to get blue or yellow I prefer blue.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My 4S definitely has a yellow tint. My old 4 has a blue tint. I prefer the blue, but I'm not going to go through the hassle of exchanging my 4S in hopes of getting a different screen. There's no guarantee of getting either one.

Gage

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
My 4s looks like the iPhone 4 blue screen pictured. Now compared to my old 3GS, my 4s screen looks more yellow.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
My 4S definitely has a yellow tint. My old 4 has a blue tint. I prefer the blue, but I'm not going to go through the hassle of exchanging my 4S in hopes of getting a different screen. There's no guarantee of getting either one.

Thats because whoever tried to get blue tinted 4S screen will be going through a lot if they try to find one like old iPhone 4.

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
OMG, if you do the transplant, please tell me how it goes. My iPhone 4 had a beautifully blue screen. Not a hint of yellow.

I'll do this transplant too if you get it to work. If you want to post instructions, you'd be the winner of the internet forever.

Obviously, my vote is for you to go blue :D

sgrrsh26

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2009

Blue, no battery issues

GoldMan

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
Europe
I prefer the blue-ish screens. The trailers/videos look better.

I'll update you when it arrives in europe

MrSunshine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I'll do this transplant too if you get it to work. If you want to post instructions, you'd be the winner of the internet forever

Well, since a few people reported that their screen is blue, I might just go to the Apple store to compare mine with the ones they have on display. If the ones on display is noticeably more blue, I'll see what they can do. Hopefully they'll open one just to humor me.

If anything, I'll just go back to Bestbuy and exchange it for a 64GB as a last shot of getting a blue-tinted screen. If it's still yellow I'll be forced to do a swap. I looked up the teardown for the iPhone 4 to get a general idea of what it's like.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Mine is blue as well... thank god.

I had a nice blue 4 and had to get a refurb that had the awful yellow tint.

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Well, since a few people reported that their screen is blue, I might just go to the Apple store to compare mine with the ones they have on display. If the ones on display is noticeably more blue, I'll see what they can do. Hopefully they'll open one just to humor me.

If anything, I'll just go back to Bestbuy and exchange it for a 64GB as a last shot of getting a blue-tinted screen. If it's still yellow I'll be forced to do a swap. I looked up the teardown for the iPhone 4 to get a general idea of what it's like.

Good luck. I swapped my phone at an Apple Store already, and the screen was still yellow.

I then went again hoping to try again, they opened two black boxes at the Genius Bar and both were the exact same yellow screens. On the store floor, more screens were yellow than blue. The ones that were blue were only blue-er than the yellow ones, but compared to my husband's iPhone 4 they were still yellow.

After they showed me the phones in the two black boxes, I decided not to swap out the phone because I just figured the new iPhone 4S phones just had a new color temp screen. I'll try again one more time maybe in a week and see if I'm lucky, but if not then, I think I'll accept my fate.

...or if someone knows how to swap a screen from an iPhone 4, like you suggested, I may try that as well. I really can't stand the yellow screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.