iPhone 4S Randomly Gets Warm

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jclardy, Oct 24, 2011.

1. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

So I have been loving my 4S so far, and for the most part my battery has been OK, except for one certain thing.

Sometimes, seemingly randomly while my phone is in my pocket and I haven't used it in over an hour or so it will get extremely warm, enough so that I notice it in my pocket. Not like burning hot, but warm.

In this state it drains battery ultra fast. Before it did it I had around 75%, and when I took it out of my pocket it was at less than 50%.

This is around the 3rd time it has done it since I have got it. I usually reboot afterwords and it goes away. This time I removed all the apps from the app tray and it cooled down.

So has anyone else had a similar issue? With other peoples complaints about the battery, I wonder if there is a software bug where some process is getting stuck and using 100% CPU until a user looks at the phone and their battery is gone.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

So it sounds like one of your apps is causing this issue, right?

3. GerMo macrumors member

or maybe some apps are pulling your location data... That usually drains the battery very quickly. You should check to see what apps are able to use your location.

4. zmulleni macrumors regular

zmulleni

When this happens do what you mentioned above and close all of your apps in the multi-task tray. Chances are that you have an app still processing now combine that with a poorly ventilated area and you get some heat lol. Just close out some apps and your phone should cool with in a matter of minutes.

5. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Same thing with mine. I had to turn "Set time zone automatically" off in Settings->Location Settings->System (Something like that).

Otherwise, it would constantly poll for its location, even when out in broad daylight. The GPS would otherwise work perfectly fine, it just kept trying to find what timezone I was in for some reason.

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

Heavy WIFI use wull cause it.. Mine gone hot when intially backing up to the cloud.