iPhone 4s Rattle

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Hawkeye411, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

My iPhone 4s rattles when you hold it flat and lightly tap the back. Sounds like it's coming from the camera area? If i squeeze the corner near the camera while I tap it, I can't hear anything. Is this normal? Anyone else have the iPhone 4s rattle?

2. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

3. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

The iPhone 4 had that but my iPhone 4S doesn't.

4. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Sounds like something is loose, I would return it to the nearest store before they run out of iphones -

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

My first iPhone 4 had this, second didn't. My iPhone 4S does... Not a biggie. I think this just comes from the camera optics. Not sure. Doesn't seem to cause issues.

6. BFG86 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mine does it too

7. Mostlybinary macrumors newbie

Mine is rattling too. It's very annoying. I must say that it's a disappointing experience as well. I made an appointment with a genius for tomorrow morning. We'll see what they say.

8. ann713 macrumors 6502a

If you do a quick search, many iPhone users have heard the same rattling. It's the autofocus present in the camera. Not worth the hassle of exchanging in my opinion. Some devices do it, some don't.

iPhone 4 rattle
    Something loose in my iPhone 4

9. toiday macrumors regular

first the iPhone 4, antenna problem. Now iPhone 4S, rattling... You guys are kidding, right?

10. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

My iphone 4s also does it

but so did my past HTC Evo 4g

11. imracin68j macrumors newbie

I just got my 32gig 4s and it rattles

Just got mine today and it Rattles. kinda sux actually. It's hard to unhear once you've heard it.

12. imracin68j macrumors newbie

Just walked over to a co-worker who also has the new 32g 4s and it has the same rattle to a t. You're wasting your time sending in for a new phone.

13. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

The supply of iPhones for retail sale is actually separate from the supply of iPhones for Genius Bar replacement.

14. monkey52892 macrumors newbie

monkey52892

My iphone 4s rattles too :(
    This is my first iphone...should I make an appointment?

15. coopmike macrumors newbie

16. Mostlybinary macrumors newbie

I saw that too. But my iPhone 4 NEVER rattles and none of my friends' do either.

17. The DRis macrumors 6502

You guys ever just make a big deal out of nothing? iPhone 4 had it, iPhone 4S has it, it isn't a big deal, nothing is broken. Got get treated and medicated for your OCD.

18. monkey52892 macrumors newbie

monkey52892

Just went to the apple store and they offered me an exchange. Unfortunately, my replacement has the same problem. :(

The apple "genius" just went around asking her coworkers to tap the back of their phones...and apparently, it is common.

Btw, I am already getting medicated for OCD.

19. Terabiter macrumors newbie

I've got the same issue. Made an appt with the geniuses and was told it was the power button. I don't buy it. She had me tap some in the store and they all rattled a bit too. No exchange was offered despite my attempts.

Pretty sure it is the lens.

20. JLemm macrumors regular

21. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

Mine rattles, too. It's very faint, but it is near the camera and only happens when you tap it near the camera. I would die if it happened every time the phone vibrates.

22. imracin68j macrumors newbie

If apple was smart they would have called their new camera technology "the rattler" and put a cobra head up by the camera and we would have thought it was a killer addition to the phone.

23. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

My first iPhone 4 rattled. I took it back to the Apple store and they exchanged it for a non-rattling phone. My current iphone 4 does not rattle even over a year later (and it's been dropped several times! :p).

24. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Mine sort of rattles, but I have to hold it by my ear to hear it. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. As long as it works okay, I don't think it's a problem.

25. Nicky G macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

My new 64GB white 4S has the rattle, I noticed it quickly. It's not enough to annoy me, and doesn't rattle when the phone vibrates. If I don't notice any other issues I won't bother returning it, not a big deal.

I am noticing that when I pop my 4S out of the new Speck Candyshell case I got it, the SIM card deactivates, and I have to pop the SIM carrier out and back in again, pretty annoying. However, I don't plan on taking the phone out of the case often/ever, so again, not a big deal.

We have a 1 year warranty, plenty of time to evaluate and see if something ends up bothering you enough to exchange the phone.