Iphone 4S restore problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by caunyd, Jan 30, 2013.

1. caunyd macrumors newbie

I am an iPhone rookie, so I have come to seek your advice. This is my best recollection of what happened. I have an Iphone 4S that was jailbroken. I tried to restore it using iTunes, but was unable to. From that point, the 4S would not turn on. It would just flash the Apple logo, and I believe it would only flash the logo if it was plugged in. Subsequently, I have put the phone into Recovery and DFU mode, and tried to use Redsnow and TinyUmbrella. Nothing has worked. I get various errors when trying to restore with iTunes. Depending on what I've done with Redsnow or TinyUmbrella, I have gotten error 21, 1600, 3194. I looked up the solutions to these errors but even so I have not been able to get my phone to be functional again. Also, when I use Redsnow and try to put the 4S into DFU mode, there is a message that says that "Sorry, that isn't supported yet on the iPhone 4S."

What can I do to make my phone work again? I am a complete novice about this stuff. I don't really know how to use Redsnow or TinyUmbrella, so if you can give me step by step instructions, that would be wonderful. Thanks in advance!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Error 21 is usually hardware issues. Error 160x are USB connection. Error 3xxx are usually fatal errors.

3. caunyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not sure if you're correct in those errors. Based on my research, it seems:

Error 21
    Custom firmware restore fail (PwnageTool since 4.1). You have to put your device into the DFU mode and not into recovery mode. Device won't boot correctly an stuck at the Apple logo after the error. Press and hold power and home button until it reboots

Error 3194
    Occurs when trying to install an old firmware and Apple's server disallows the installation. The only solution is to have SHSH backup and modify the hosts file to point to
    Saurik's
    Cydia Server where they are backed up (or localhost if you have it
    yourself).

4. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

Can you tell us what version of iOS you had when you jailbroke your iPhone, what version you were restoring to and whether you have a mac or pc? thanks

5. caunyd thread starter macrumors newbie

5.0.1 was the version that was on the phone when I jailbroke it. I have a PC. I don't know what version I was trying to restore it to. I believe I tried both 5.0.1 and 6.1 IPSW when pressing Shift + Restore on Itunes (again I'm a rookie and I don't know what I'm doing, I just did things based on my search of similar old threads). I don't need a specific version. I just want the phone to work. Thanks bjsterilite

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1. There is no custom firmware for a 4S, and when that is the case, it is hardware failure.

2. Have you done any SHSH?

7. caunyd thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know what an SHSH is other than there's an option to save it in TinyUmbrella. So I guess the answer to that question is no. Is there something I should be doing?

8. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Check your hosts file and remove any references to apple. Then just go into DFU mode and restore using untouched firmware, without using redsn0w or tinyumbrella.

9. caunyd thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I check my host file? Is that where I delete gs.apple from the notepad file? I already did that, but I'm not sure if it matters, since this is a new computer and I have never synced the 4S with this computer. So maybe the host file doesn't matter?

10. caunyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to update you guys and to help anyone else with the same problem. Various people have told me different things such as water/hardware damage, USB connection problems, software conflicts, etc. I finally took the phone to the Apple store, and the Genius bar person just re-seated the battery and things began working again.

Now I have a different problem, but I think that belongs in a different thread.

Thanks for all of your help guys.