iPhone 4S Shipped and Stolen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Amigalander, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Amigalander macrumors regular

I pre-ordered a 4S last week from AT&T directly. I tried to get it delivered to my work address, but they refused. I told them I wouldn't be home to receive the package during the day... (iPhone regulations = they can only ship to billing address on credit card.)

Today it shipped, I got the UPS text message, ran home from work within 30 minutes, but the package was already gone...

I asked around, and the building caretaker said he saw 2 people following the UPS guy around looking in people's patios.

I called UPS, they didn't really care. I called AT&T, and they were very nice. Immediately refunded me, but said they have none to ship. They kept no reserves on hand. They reversed the upgrade on the account, so I could just go to an Apple or AT&T store and buy one any time, or they could ship me another one in 2 weeks.

My advice, make sure you arrange for shipment to somewhere you'll be! I guess the thieves are just following the UPS guys around on iPhone day, raking in the dough...

2. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

UPS won't leave a package without someone signing for it. Also, if they left a package because someone signed for it there is no way ATT would refund you any money. Why are you lying? What is your purpose?

3. DaveTheGreat macrumors member

This is a ups issue, it seems none of their delivery drivers care to get a signature or anything while delivering packages. Last year I was delivered four iPhone 4s, all of which were just left at my door step in the middle of the afternoon, luckily I was able to get home to pick them up before anyone else did. I've even received a package at my door from ups with no knock or any other indication a package was being left. Fedex at least gets signatures for deliveries, I wouldn't be surprised if the ups driver had his friends follow him around and pick up packages after they were left outside. Good thing att was cool with you about it.

Obviously not true.

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Bull. They didn't make me sign for my iPhone 4 replacement this summer. Also, over 15 people on here said the UPS driver just dropped it off.

5. asouclks macrumors member

I waited for 2 packages today. One from Fedex and one from UPS. The Fedex guy actually got my signature. The UPS guy just rang the door bell and left. When I opened my door he was already back in his truck. Good thing I was home waiting! Horrible.

6. niteriderxp macrumors member

Hmm, I am surprised AT&T did not let you ship it to work.
    Verizon had no problem shipping it anywhere I wanted it to go.

In terms of UPS/Fedex leaving packages without signature, it's really a crapshoot.
    Doesn't really matter if a signature is required or not, they may either decide to leave it or not at my house.

I ship everything to work these days, its very convenient and consistent.
    Got in this morning and the package was sitting on my chair.

Hope you get your replacement iPhone soon...

7. Amigalander thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, no purpose, other than maybe I'm not lying?

Check attached screenshot, and no it's not Photoshopped.

AT&T specifically said they do not require their shippers to obtain a signature.

Attached Files:

8. AppleKash macrumors 6502

AppleKash

That sucks I'm glad AT&T refunded you the amount FedEx left my phone outside the house today but luckily when I arrived home in about 15 to 30 minutes after it had been delivered mine was still there

9. TheComposer macrumors member

This guy really thought he was right lol:apple:

10. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I agree. UPS is horrible where I live too. The guy knocks once and leaves packages at the front door. I live in an apartment complex so it's scary. I am a watch collector so it's scary knowing there is a 5000$ watch sitting at the door for anyone to pick up if they wanted to.

11. AaronE macrumors 6502

I wonder how people who steal them will able to activate? It seems AT&T and Apple have made the authorization process tougher.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

This is still BS. Both UPS and FedEx required a signature at my office for delivery. No way they should have tossed it on the patio and if they did they were in error.

Next is AT&T is not so fast with crediting your account.:mad:

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

UPS left my macbook pro at my apartment door--so I know for a fact they will leave expensive items without a signature.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Not saying it was not left, I am saying that it was NOT with the blessing of AT&T and that UPS should pay for it! It was not shipped to leave at your door unless you presigned with Apple to do so.

15. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Honestly, I think this depends on the driver. Some are better about it than others, for either companies. I wonder if the drivers get reprimanded for things like this considering the companies are insured against loss and damages.

On the other hand, the carriers and Apple have really locked down these devices with the sims and IMEI numbers. Whoever tries to activate these phones will not be able to unless they go contact the carriers directly. Hopefully they will be flagged in the system or something.

16. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

Because they don't know whats in the packages, and they don't care. You people really think they know they are delivering iPhone 4's and macbooks? For them it's just a package.

And yah it was foolish of them to leave it at the door. It is pretty nerve wracking. Fortunately I was home.

17. aneftp macrumors 601

There isn't any "activation" that's tied to the actual phone itself.

Any AT&T sim (microsim) can be used to activate the iPhone.

I got my iPhone 4S. First thing I did was eject the sim that was in the iPhone 4s. Put my microsim (from my iPhone 4). Phone is automatically activated.

AT&T confuses a lot of people by saying "activation". What activation does is deactivate your current sim and "activate the new microsim" that shipped with the new iPhone 4s.

So these thieves simply steal the package. And can resell easy.

It's a shame that in other countries they can blacklist imei numbers of gsm phones that are reported stolen but both AT&T chooses not to do this.

Say this and I know RIM/blackberry hasn't gotten bad press. But if you directly report to RIM your Blackberry has been stolen (not report to AT&T ) RIM will blacklist the PIN so the user who stole your blackberry can't activate with RIMs server for push email. People can still use the blackberry phone for everything else but RIM will block any blackberry push email activation if PIN is reported lost or stolen.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

BOTH my UPS driver and FedEx driver knew exactly what was in the boxes delivered to my office. The FedEx even held the box up to his head like a phone and said to me that your new iPhone has arrived.

These drivers know way more than you think. If one were crooked he could have his friends follow him as collect them as he tossed them on the patio.:confused:

19. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

Our UPS driver (Scooby) came in yesterday right after the FedEx driver delivered our iPhones. He told me he had 17 iPhones on his truck to deliver. So yeah, they know what they have on their trucks.

20. Mikewhat macrumors newbie

iPhone 4s stolen..., UPS delivered empty box!

I was following the travels of my new IPhone 4s today at work. Finally, today Friday, I was emailed that it had arrived at my house at 11:37 am (my wife's mother signed for it). When I returned home from work happily I picked up the new box and thought to myself....this sure feels light. Yes, I opened the box and it was completely empty!! Filed a police report, UPS compliant and of course called Apple. Nobody has returned my calls yet with an answer..have not disputed the charge with Visa yet. Will wait and see what the weekend brings.

21. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Their wages are ducked per loss of item in monetary terms.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. My driver told me personally he would have left it knowing how badly people want these things. I live in what could be considered a very safe neighborhood but there are enough goons who know that UPS was delivering the bulk of phones yesterday (and other carriers) to know that following them would be a good idea if they're into theft.

Knowing my driver would have left it thinking he was doing me a solid is why I flaked on my friday night plans last night so I could wait until the phone was in hand.

23. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised AT&T refunded you so fast without a claim or anything from UPS. How would they know you're not lying when the tracking says its delivered?

24. Apple(ofmyeye) macrumors newbie

It doesn't matter if they know what's in the package or not! I don't care if I am having ripped up pieces of paper delivered. They're mine, and I don't want them stolen.

25. davelanger macrumors 6502a

It all depends on the sender if they require the sig or not. it has nothing to do with the company. I have had stuff like DVDs from UPS delivered and they just leave them, but when it was a computer monitor they left me a note saying they will try back tomorrow because they need a sig.