Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
UPS won't leave a package without someone signing for it. Also, if they left a package because someone signed for it there is no way ATT would refund you any money. Why are you lying? What is your purpose?

Agreed. AT&T isn't just going to fork over $500.

If that's the case, what's to stop everyone from calling them up and saying "I never got my phone, it never arrived" and keeping the phone and pocketing the $500.

llustig

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
I ordered two iPhones, one 16gb and 32gb. One came via FedEx the other ups. Ups showed that the phone was delivered and placed at the front door. I live in an apartment complex, and I figured they would put it at the front office. Needless to say, I freaked out so I called my apartment letting them know that I have a package on my front door and to go retrieve it because I was paranoid that someone would steal it. I was shocked that UPS didn't require a signature, but FedEx did and they dropped it off at the front office.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.432707,-97.740798

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Chiming in about UPS and their signature requirement...it's up to the discretion of the driver.

At my parent's house, they just leave them on the patio. I've called in and asked for a signature to be required and everytime they say discretion of the driver. Lots of bull, but whatever.

Virance

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
FWIW - 3 of my phones came FedEx and I had to sign for them, my 64 gig phone came UPS and I did not sign, they just dropped it.

jeffsaha

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Yeah UPS definitely left iPhones on porches yesterday...they left mine but luckily I was studying right outside the window and saw him drop it and run. So everyone who is saying UPS won't do that...they are wrong, I saw it happen.

Bobomix

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
You know I found the delivery method really strange as well... The ups dropped off my goods without a signature requirement as well. Luckily, it was towards end of the day and I had gotten home from work just before the delivery or who knows what would've happened if I had not been present...

Sorry for your loss but at least AT&T handled it well. Btw I had ordered from Sprint so indeed it would appear UPS should be at fault.

Amigalander

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
I'm surprised AT&T refunded you so fast without a claim or anything from UPS. How would they know you're not lying when the tracking says its delivered?

This particular phone was purchased directly from AT&T. They have the tracking number and said it does show delivered.

I suppose I could have lied... I guess anyone can receive it and lie. I dunno. Maybe it depends on your AT&T account history?

AaronE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2006
North Carolina
There isn't any "activation" that's tied to the actual phone itself.

Any AT&T sim (microsim) can be used to activate the iPhone.

I got my iPhone 4S. First thing I did was eject the sim that was in the iPhone 4s. Put my microsim (from my iPhone 4). Phone is automatically activated.

AT&T confuses a lot of people by saying "activation". What activation does is deactivate your current sim and "activate the new microsim" that shipped with the new iPhone 4s.

So these thieves simply steal the package. And can resell easy.

It's a shame that in other countries they can blacklist imei numbers of gsm phones that are reported stolen but both AT&T chooses not to do this.

Say this and I know RIM/blackberry hasn't gotten bad press. But if you directly report to RIM your Blackberry has been stolen (not report to AT&T ) RIM will blacklist the PIN so the user who stole your blackberry can't activate with RIMs server for push email. People can still use the blackberry phone for everything else but RIM will block any blackberry push email activation if PIN is reported lost or stolen.

My experience with the 4S I have is you must activate it with the number you ordered the phone with. For example, I ordered mine with my sisters account who lives 2 hours away. There is no way to activate without using her SIM. So if someone sells an unopened AT&T iPhone how will the person activate since the activation is number specific?

spartanforever

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
Agreed. AT&T isn't just going to fork over $500.

If that's the case, what's to stop everyone from calling them up and saying "I never got my phone, it never arrived" and keeping the phone and pocketing the $500.

Skidbubble, and the rest of the folks who are doubting this are idiots. Why would anyone lie about this situation on a message board. And you have no idea how frustrating and annoying it is to be in this situation.

I had the exact same thing happen to me as the OP - pre-ordered an iPhone 4s, and was working from home on Friday because I didn't want to miss the UPS guy. All of a sudden in the evening, the status showed delivered and left in front door and there was nothing there. Just a blatant lie. Nobody from UPS ever came. Upon talking to UPS, they said the package did not require signature

After 4 days of hell with UPS and ATT customer service (who promised to send a new one, but then refused), ATT finally reversed my upgrade and is crediting my card.

So, this is really happening - nobody wants to spread some random rumors on a message board.

dim.jr

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Our UPS guy took the pre-signed paper we taped onto the front door, placed the iPhone package under our rug, and put it in the corner of our front entrance so no one would see it.

I guess all UPS guys are different? Sorry to hear about your situation

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
I ordered 2 4s'es that were delivered to 2 different addresses.

My phone: delivered to my address using UPS, placed "pre-sign" paper on door, driver took paper and "hid" the phone under my rug.

Wife's phone: delivered to her parents address (old billing address) using UPS, was left on porch in plain view WITHOUT pre-sign paperwork (although, there was no rug or anything to attempt to hide it).

Previously order a ~$1200 Macbook Pro from Amazon and that was left on my doorstep without signature.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
It all depends on who you buy the phone from. I pre-ordered mine through Apple, went to Apple's site to get the pre-sign form, filled it out, even added an extra note on the front of it telling the guy to please drop it off at the apartment office and then put the paper on my apartment door...and even though I bought it from Apple and used APPLE'S pre-sign form, the UPS guy left a note on MY note saying "was instructed not to leave package in office", and didn't leave anything.

I had to go to UPS that night to pick it up which was about 30 miles away. It was pretty retarded.

Better than getting it stolen, though, but I know it would've been safe in the front office.

UpstateChris

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
UPS won't leave a package without someone signing for it. Also, if they left a package because someone signed for it there is no way ATT would refund you any money. Why are you lying? What is your purpose?

Seriously? I so hope you were completely joking here. I get UPS deliveries at least once a week at home - often high price items like laptops - and I havent signed for a UPS package in at least 5 years. Never "pre-signed", most packages say "Adult Signature Required". Fortunately, never had anything go missing though...

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I agree. UPS is horrible where I live too. The guy knocks once and leaves packages at the front door. I live in an apartment complex so it's scary. I am a watch collector so it's scary knowing there is a 5000$ watch sitting at the door for anyone to pick up if they wanted to.

My UPS guy USED to do that... now I don't even get the knock on the door... they just leave it on top of the mail boxes by the door of the building... really pisses me off cause I'm home most of the time when they come... I just don't know they come since they don't make it to my door.

Luckily my building is gated so at least any potential thieves either have to have a passcode to get in or be let in to steal my packages... or already live in my building.

Last edited:

Jason black

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011

Ups dumped my iPhone by my door and left......

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
My take on this and what I do......

Go to ATT/Sprint/Verizon/Apple store and pick one up = Safe ;)

Not available at time, than wait and locate and pick up later. Its only a phone :D I have patience

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
ups sucks...effing hate their service. had my motherboard on my PC RMA'd...they dropped it on my front porch and it was raining out. the box was damp by the time i picked it up.

fedex at least leaves a note and puts it in their shipping location for pickup

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

Not entirely true. My friend pre-ordered his iphone 4S, UPS delivered it, he didn't pre-sign it, he never got it, although the slip said it was delivered. He then called Apple about the situation. Later it turns out, he found his package hidden underneath something that he couldn't see but clearly it's been sitting there for 1 whole week and even in rain (but his iphone lived because of the wrapping).

So clearly, he is not lying.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I pre-ordered a 4S last week from AT&T directly. I tried to get it delivered to my work address, but they refused. I told them I wouldn't be home to receive the package during the day... (iPhone regulations = they can only ship to billing address on credit card.)

Today it shipped, I got the UPS text message, ran home from work within 30 minutes, but the package was already gone...

I asked around, and the building caretaker said he saw 2 people following the UPS guy around looking in people's patios.

I called UPS, they didn't really care. I called AT&T, and they were very nice. Immediately refunded me, but said they have none to ship. They kept no reserves on hand. They reversed the upgrade on the account, so I could just go to an Apple or AT&T store and buy one any time, or they could ship me another one in 2 weeks.

My advice, make sure you arrange for shipment to somewhere you'll be! I guess the thieves are just following the UPS guys around on iPhone day, raking in the dough...

Order direct from Apple. Place the order online, use your home address to check out. Once you get the order confirmation call Apple, change the shipping address to your work. Problem solved.

I've done that for my last three iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.